Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.compression,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
Radium[_4_] Radium[_4_] is offline

Default Jeff Liebermann -- "BIT-rate" and "SAMPLE-rate" are two totally different things.

I reposted yet another time to emphasize the fact that "BIT-rate" and
"SAMPLE-rate" are two totally different things.

In addition, I would like Jeff Liebermann to please answer my
questions in the below post.

On Jul 19, 12:06 am, Jeff Liebermann wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e614fe3?hl=en&
:

Radium hath wroth:

On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...sg/696d6abf90c...

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Digital cell phones should stop using the compression they use and
start using monaural WMA compression with a CBR of 20 kbps or less and
a sample rate of at least 44.1 KHz.

Very roughly, the current 8Kbits/sec encoding rate,
compared to your 44Kbit/sec, will only handle about 1/5th the number
of users.

Who said anything about 44Kbit/sec?

The bit-rate of my WMA CBR is 20Kbit/sec or less.

1. In its uncompressed form, the audio must have a bit-resolution of
at least 16-bit

The encoding resolution is not changed by compression. If you encode
something with 16 bit resolution, and compress it, you still have 16
bit data coming out. It's the data rate or thruput that changes with
compression.

Okay.

2. The sample-rate of the compressed and the uncompressed version of
the audio must be the same.

Not possible. If the rate in and rate out are identical, then there's
no compression happening.

Yes it is possible and it is compression. The uncompressed audio is a
monaural linear PCM at 44.1-KHz-sample-rate with a 16-bit-resolution
-- this audio has a bit-rate of 705.6 kbps. The compressed audio is a
monaural CBR WMA at 44.1-KHz-sample-rate with a bit-rate of 20 kbps or
less.

Where/when is there any change in sample-rate?????????

There is definitely a change in bit-rate. However, that is totally
different from the sample rate. Totally.

BIT-rate and SAMPLE-rate are two completely different things.

In linear PCM audio:

BIT-rate = SAMPLE-rate X bit-resolution X number of channels

Stereo has two channels. Mono has one channel.

44,100 Hz X 16-bit X 1 channel = 705,600 bps

No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
jokes, off-topic nonsense, taunts, insults, and trivializations. I am
really interested in this.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.compression,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
[email protected] industrial_one@hotmail.com is offline

On Jul 19, 12:06 am, Jeff Liebermann wrote inhttp://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/msg/4b14d9c79e6...
:

[...]

I dunno much about WMA but it seems to compress twice as better than
MP3 while retaining the same quality, no seriously, I got 32 kbps
audio samples that MP3 can't preserve below 96, my guess is that it
makes multiple passes (since it takes up more CPU to encode/decode) to
detect repeating, redundant parts of the song (multiple verses etc.)

Also no offense but it doesn't look to me that you know jack ****
about digital audio and compression in general, and neither do I on a
large scale -- so **** it.

Not sure what you think you discovered though, it's sure as hell
possible to encode at 20 kbps with 44.1 KHz, what's the point of that,
though? The only thing suitable to encode with that preference is a
casual telephone convo.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.compression,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
Tommy Tucker Tommy Tucker is offline

Who gives a ****.

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 05:22:28 -0000, Radium
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.compression,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 05:35:48 -0700, wrote:

Also no offense but it doesn't look to me that you know jack ****
about digital audio and compression in general, and neither do I on a
large scale -- so **** it.

**** you of you idiots. It's getting hard to tell where his ass ends
and your head begins.