Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Daniel is offline

Default Need some help with pinch roller

Hi,

I need to put a new pinch roller on my TASCAM 58 tape machine but
before doing so, I need to remove the 2 bearings, a spring and
something called a "C-Ring" from inside of the pinch roller. I was able
to easily remove all of the above but I don't know how to remove the
c-ring. What tool do I need and what is the procedure ? I've attached a
picture below:

http://members.shaw.ca/ftp_pro/pinch.jpg

Thank you for your time and help.

Daniel

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Daniel" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

I need to put a new pinch roller on my TASCAM 58 tape
machine but before doing so, I need to remove the 2
bearings, a spring and something called a "C-Ring" from
inside of the pinch roller. I was able to easily remove
all of the above but I don't know how to remove the
c-ring. What tool do I need and what is the procedure ?
I've attached a picture below:

http://members.shaw.ca/ftp_pro/pinch.jpg

Thank you for your time and help.

You need an internal snap ring pliers like this one:

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=4028

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Daniel is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Daniel" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

I need to put a new pinch roller on my TASCAM 58 tape
machine but before doing so, I need to remove the 2
bearings, a spring and something called a "C-Ring" from
inside of the pinch roller. I was able to easily remove
all of the above but I don't know how to remove the
c-ring. What tool do I need and what is the procedure ?
I've attached a picture below:

http://members.shaw.ca/ftp_pro/pinch.jpg

Thank you for your time and help.

You need an internal snap ring pliers like this one:

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=4028

WOW! Quick answer, thanks!! So I guess I just clamp it so that the two
sides come together and then pull out ?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Daniel is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Daniel" wrote in message
ps.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Daniel" wrote in message
oups.com
Hi,

I need to put a new pinch roller on my TASCAM 58 tape
machine but before doing so, I need to remove the 2
bearings, a spring and something called a "C-Ring" from
inside of the pinch roller. I was able to easily remove
all of the above but I don't know how to remove the
c-ring. What tool do I need and what is the procedure ?
I've attached a picture below:

http://members.shaw.ca/ftp_pro/pinch.jpg

Thank you for your time and help.

You need an internal snap ring pliers like this one:

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=4028

WOW! Quick answer, thanks!! So I guess I just clamp it so
that the two sides come together and then pull out ?

Bingo!

Great! Thanks again for the quick help!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian Julian is offline

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 05:17:33 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

You need an internal snap ring pliers like this one:

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=4028

Like Art Crum's Mr Natural always said "Get the right tool for the
job".

Julian

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Daniel wrote:

I need to put a new pinch roller on my TASCAM 58 tape machine but
before doing so, I need to remove the 2 bearings, a spring and
something called a "C-Ring" from inside of the pinch roller. I was able
to easily remove all of the above but I don't know how to remove the
c-ring. What tool do I need and what is the procedure ? I've attached a
picture below:

http://members.shaw.ca/ftp_pro/pinch.jpg

You can do it with a needle-nose pliers... compress the two eyes of the
ring together and it will come out.

You can get the proper tool from an auto parts store for about twenty
dollars, which makes removing expansion and compression rings a lot
easier.

You can get a really wonderful special tool from BMW which is intended for
getting the clips out when rebuilding clutch and brake cylinders, which I
think is just wonderful, especially for getting the clips out of the
Ampex 440 idler roller assembly. It's a couple hundred bucks, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Daniel is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Daniel wrote:

[...]

--scott

Interesting and helpful. Thank you very much Scott!

By any chance, do you know where I can get a replacement (just in case)
c-ring ? Is it an off the shelf part, available ?

Thanks again guys!

Daniel

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Daniel" wrote ..
By any chance, do you know where I can get a replacement (just in
case)
c-ring ? Is it an off the shelf part, available ?

Snap rings/C-rings, both external, and internal (as yours)
are generic hardware items in most sizes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

wrote:

You need an internal snap ring pliers like this one:

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=4028

Like Art Crum's Mr Natural always said "Get the right tool for the
job".

Julian

It might be Art and yes, Mr Natural is Da Man, but Mr Natural's creator
was Robert Crumb.

There is a really interesting DVD of someone following him around for a
while, rented it from Blockbuster. If you thought Crumb was strange, you
ought see his brother and mother. They're like characters in a Warhol
movie. By contrast, they make Robert seem normal, which sure is one big
stretch.

One other thing about Crumb from the DVD: back when he was dirt poor and
pretty much nobody he was offered lotsa lotsa dough to sell out his
stuff, and he didn't. His fellow cartoonists, his friends back then, are
still scratching their heads on his decision. The guy actually lives
what he believes.

Speaking of moral compasses, anybody else digging Omar on Hbo's The
Wire? Omar be Da Man too.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Daniel is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Daniel" wrote ..
By any chance, do you know where I can get a replacement (just in
case)
c-ring ? Is it an off the shelf part, available ?

Snap rings/C-rings, both external, and internal (as yours)
are generic hardware items in most sizes.

Thanks Richard!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

david correia wrote:

Like Art Crum's Mr Natural

It might be Art and yes, Mr Natural is Da Man, but Mr Natural's creator
was Robert Crumb.

He was usually known as "R." Crumb. I can see that someone young enough
to have never seen the original material but having heard, perhaps,
some of Crumb's music, to corrupt the name to "Art."

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 01:49:07 -0500, david correia
wrote:

Robert Crumb.

There is a really interesting DVD of someone following him around for a
while, rented it from Blockbuster. If you thought Crumb was strange, you
ought see his brother and mother. They're like characters in a Warhol
movie. By contrast, they make Robert seem normal, which sure is one big
stretch.

It's called _Crumb_, by his friend Terry Zwigoff, who later made
_Ghost World_ and _Bad Santa_.

But be forewarned; _Crumb_ is not for the faint of heart; very
disturbing. Well worth it, but tough stuff.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian Julian is offline

On 1 Nov 2006 04:30:12 -0800, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

david correia wrote:

Like Art Crum's Mr Natural

It might be Art and yes, Mr Natural is Da Man, but Mr Natural's creator
was Robert Crumb.

He was usually known as "R." Crumb. I can see that someone young enough
to have never seen the original material but having heard, perhaps,
some of Crumb's music, to corrupt the name to "Art."

Thanks for making up an excuse for me Mike, but it is just old age.
It was many years ago when I last had an excuse to think of Mr Crumb.
RRRR and ARRRT do sound a little alike...

Julian

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Daniel wrote:

By any chance, do you know where I can get a replacement (just in case)
c-ring ? Is it an off the shelf part, available ?

It's possible an auto parts store will have it. Grainger Supply definitely
will.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Daniel Daniel is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's possible an auto parts store will have it. Grainger Supply definitely
will.

The places I checked locally can definitely special order it as they
didn't have it in stock. From what I can tell, these are usually easy
to find though and come in a box of various sizes. Thanks.