Posted to rec.audio.pro
mc

Default Adobe Audition 2.0

Now that Adobe has surprised us with Audition 2.0, are they going to offer
any kind of free or cheap upgrade to people who bought 1.5 in its waning
days? I haven't found any such information on their web site.

What has their previous practice been?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

Jim wrote:
Adobe's previous pratice has been "screwum if they want it, they'll pay for
it"

As opposed to all the altruism based companies who choose a price point
to maximize user happiness rather than profit. :-)

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim

That's not exactly the point Bob. I doled out big time for 1.5 having
continued to use this proggy and now that an upgrade is available it'd be
nice to see a reward for loyalty instead of the slap in the face this
upgrade would cost. Hell I can still utilize the program as is and use
other, less exspensive, programs to obtain the same results that these
upgrades would give.
The person who said $50.00 hit the nail on the head. I don't begrudge them
for capatilistic endeavors, I lose respect for rapist pricing. Loyalty is a
two way street in this instance.

--
Pray for success please. :-)
http://web.nccray.net/jshodges/mommasaid/sss.htm
"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Jim wrote:
Adobe's previous pratice has been "screwum if they want it, they'll pay
for it"

As opposed to all the altruism based companies who choose a price point to
maximize user happiness rather than profit. :-)

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mc

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Jim wrote:
Adobe's previous pratice has been "screwum if they want it, they'll pay
for it"

As opposed to all the altruism based companies who choose a price point to
maximize user happiness rather than profit. :-)

Borland's great insight (Turbo Pascal, $49.95, 1983, when typical compilers
were $500) was that if you choose a lower price, you sell more, and you
don't need draconian anti-piracy measures because people who want the
product will just *buy* it.

There's money in altruism.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Jim" wrote in message
That's not exactly the point Bob. I doled out big time for 1.5 having
continued to use this proggy and now that an upgrade is available it'd be
nice to see a reward for loyalty instead of the slap in the face this
upgrade would cost. Hell I can still utilize the program as is and use
other, less exspensive, programs to obtain the same results that these
upgrades would give.
The person who said $50.00 hit the nail on the head. I don't begrudge them
for capatilistic endeavors, I lose respect for rapist pricing. Loyalty is
a two way street in this instance.

$69 a year ago or more is "doling out big time"????

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim

No I paid close to $100.00 got some books that came with it. And yes it was
a big bite for me. I don't have large cash on hand due to my income going
from 65k down to around 8k for the last nine years. It was the purchase of
the software that I hoped would get my musical endeavors off the ground.
Doing it all by myself and learning from my mistakes as I go.
Come to think of it I seem to remember researching the price and comming
away thinking I had got it for a darn good price. :-(

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..

"Jim" wrote in message
That's not exactly the point Bob. I doled out big time for 1.5 having
continued to use this proggy and now that an upgrade is available it'd be
nice to see a reward for loyalty instead of the slap in the face this
upgrade would cost. Hell I can still utilize the program as is and use
other, less exspensive, programs to obtain the same results that these
upgrades would give.
The person who said $50.00 hit the nail on the head. I don't begrudge
them for capatilistic endeavors, I lose respect for rapist pricing.
Loyalty is a two way street in this instance.

$69 a year ago or more is "doling out big time"????

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

mc wrote:

Borland's great insight (Turbo Pascal, $49.95, 1983, when typical compilers
were $500) was that if you choose a lower price, you sell more, and you
don't need draconian anti-piracy measures because people who want the
product will just *buy* it.

There's money in altruism.

Actually I remember from high school economics 45 years ago (honest,
they taught real stuff back then) that there are two curves relating
price to some other things and where they cross is the place that profit
is maximized (yeah, I know it's more complex than that but this was high
school after all.) It's largely guesswork where those curves are drawn
but that's still the point where Phillipe guessed his profit would be
maximized. If you've met him you know he doesn't think outside that
particular box either. :-)

There's no such thing as altruism, especially in commerce. I was in R&D
for 30 some years and I've never met anyone who makes and/or sells
things for less than he thought would make him the most money after all
was said and done. I wouldn't expect to meet him if I were to live
another 60 years. Gosh, is my ever growing cynicism showing?

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

mc wrote:

Borland's great insight (Turbo Pascal, $49.95, 1983, when typical compilers
were $500) was that if you choose a lower price, you sell more, and you
don't need draconian anti-piracy measures because people who want the
product will just *buy* it.

I resemble that remark. I had a bootleg copy of Turbo Pascal. And of
course nobody ever bought a copy of MS-DOS, even though you could. It's
really going to hurt if I ever get around to building a new DAW
computer and actually have to go out and BUY a retail copy of Windows
XP (or whatever they have by the time I get around to this long-delayed
project).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"mc" wrote in message

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Jim wrote:
Adobe's previous pratice has been "screwum if they want it, they'll pay
for it"

As opposed to all the altruism based companies who choose a price point
to maximize user happiness rather than profit. :-)

Borland's great insight (Turbo Pascal, $49.95, 1983, when typical
compilers were $500) was that if you choose a lower price, you sell more,
and you don't need draconian anti-piracy measures because people who want
the product will just *buy* it.

There's money in altruism.

Borland went broke, remember?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Satz

Arny, the former Borland International is still very much in business.
The company changed its name to "Inprise" for a while--a rather stupid
move which caused it to drop off many people's radar. But they named it
back to "Borland Software Corporation" a few years ago, and they offer
one of the few viable alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for
PC-based development.

As a former SideKick user and Turbo Pascal programmer I can confirm
that their effective products, low prices and great, easily accessible
customer support fostered a sense of community among their customers--a
long-lasting sales asset that most business-school graduates seem to
know very little about, unfortunately.

--best regards

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"David Satz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Arny, the former Borland International is still very much in business.
The company changed its name to "Inprise" for a while--a rather stupid
move which caused it to drop off many people's radar. But they named it
back to "Borland Software Corporation" a few years ago, and they offer
one of the few viable alternatives to Microsoft Visual Studio for
PC-based development.

As a former SideKick user and Turbo Pascal programmer I can confirm
that their effective products, low prices and great, easily accessible
customer support fostered a sense of community among their customers--a
long-lasting sales asset that most business-school graduates seem to
know very little about, unfortunately.

I just looked up the pricing of some of the products of the re-born "Borland
Software Corporation".

Looks to me like $10,000-20,000 would get one started pretty nicely.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Satz

Arny, you're right, the old ways are mostly gone. But you seemed to
imply that their customer-friendly behaviors had put Borland out of
business.

A serious discussion of why corporations tend to lose their humane
aspects over time (if they have any to begin with) would probably
belong in alt.marxism or alt.social.darwinism rather than here.

--best regards

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill

yeah, but how's Google doing?

Arny Krueger wrote:

Borland went broke, remember?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"David Satz" wrote in message
ups.com...

Arny, you're right, the old ways are mostly gone. But you seemed to
imply that their customer-friendly behaviors had put Borland out of
business.

I don't see any evidence that disagrees with that hypothesis.

Borland made their name with Turbo Pascal, which was merely a phenomenon.

A serious discussion of why corporations tend to lose their humane
aspects over time (if they have any to begin with) would probably
belong in alt.marxism or alt.social.darwinism rather than here.

I didn't raise this particular issue,

In the long term a different story was told, than what happened at the
outset.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Putrino

"mc" wrote in message
Now that Adobe has surprised us with Audition 2.0, are they going to offer
any kind of free or cheap upgrade to people who bought 1.5 in its waning
days? I haven't found any such information on their web site.

What has their previous practice been?

The Adobe site says shows a full-version price of $349.00 and an upgrade
price of $129.00.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff@work

"Michael Putrino" wrote in message

"mc" wrote in message
Now that Adobe has surprised us with Audition 2.0, are they going to
offer any kind of free or cheap upgrade to people who bought 1.5 in its
waning days? I haven't found any such information on their web site.

What has their previous practice been?

The Adobe site says shows a full-version price of $349.00 and an upgrade
price of $129.00.

Which is comparable to SOny's upgrade prices on ACid, SF, and Vegas. Not
too many complaint there - and people who 'just bought' and older version
get a further reduction on the upgrade.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mc

Which is comparable to SOny's upgrade prices on ACid, SF, and Vegas. Not
too many complaint there - and people who 'just bought' and older version
get a further reduction on the upgrade.

My question was precisely whether people who bought Audition 1.5 just a few
days ago get a discount on the upgrade. There has been no indication that
they do.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim

Well they haven't offered me one. I bought this proggy 10 months ago. i go
to the web site and see the price. I have yet to get am email from them, not
even about the upgrade.

"mc" wrote in message

Which is comparable to SOny's upgrade prices on ACid, SF, and Vegas. Not
too many complaint there - and people who 'just bought' and older version
get a further reduction on the upgrade.

My question was precisely whether people who bought Audition 1.5 just a
few days ago get a discount on the upgrade. There has been no indication
that they do.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras

"Bill" wrote in message
yeah, but how's Google doing?

The tide is already turning on implicit trust of "everything Google." I
predict they are on the fast track to Evil Empire status, and they will
probably arrive there in much less time than it took Microsoft.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mc

"Charles Tomaras" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
yeah, but how's Google doing?

The tide is already turning on implicit trust of "everything Google." I
predict they are on the fast track to Evil Empire status, and they will
probably arrive there in much less time than it took Microsoft.

Google controls what parts of the Internet we can easily get to and what
parts we can't. They could easily steer people toward certain opinions and
information and away from others, even if the steering were done as a matter
of preference or ranking and not absolute blockage.

Something to think about... And a good reason for maintaining multiple
separate search engines in the world.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JM

"mc" wrote in message

My question was precisely whether people who bought Audition 1.5 just a
few days ago get a discount on the upgrade. There has been no indication
that they do.

Have you called Adobe's customer service? If you literally bought it a few
days ago, call Adobe's customer service as their policy seems to be that if
you bought a product within a month of a new release you can upgrade for
free,

Good luck and let us know how that goes!

~j

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:42:01 -0600, "Jim" wrote:

No I paid close to $100.00 got some books that came with it. And yes it was
a big bite for me. I don't have large cash on hand due to my income going
from 65k down to around 8k for the last nine years. It was the purchase of
the software that I hoped would get my musical endeavors off the ground.
Doing it all by myself and learning from my mistakes as I go.

Has a new bit of software EVER transformed anyone's musical career?
Other than facilitating something he was previously doing by other
means anyway?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bob Cain wrote in
:

I was in R&D for 30 some years

In light of the gross technical ignorance and incompetence that is
reflected in your posts, your so-called thirty some years of experience in
R&D is obviously one year of thirty year old experience that you repeated
thirty times.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

Default Adobe Audition 2.0 - Response to Gary Sokolich

Gary Sokolich wrote:
Bob Cain wrote in
:

I was in R&D for 30 some years

In light of the gross technical ignorance and incompetence that is
reflected in your posts, your so-called thirty some years of experience in
R&D is obviously one year of thirty year old experience that you repeated
thirty times.

You are so incredibly predictable. I can crank you out from under your
rock at will.

What, pray tell, have you done besides hide in your room, pick your nose
and pimples, and let your mother do your shopping for you to avoid the
danger of encountering any of your many fans. Don't procreate (probably
an unnecessary admonition for obvious reasons.)

BTW:

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate
telecommunications or other types of communications that are
transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing
his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any
person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18
or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

H.R.3402 signed into federal law 1/5/2006

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Sokolich

Default Adobe Audition 2.0 - Response to Bob Cain

Bob Cain wrote in
:

..........mindless,nonsensical drivel snipped.........

BTW:

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to
originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are
transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without
disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or
harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined
under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

H.R.3402 signed into federal law 1/5/2006

Not surprisingly, you conveniently left out the part about the said
communication being obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy or indecent.

We all know that you have serious trouble with the truth, but if you are
going to quote readily accessible legal documents, you should at least
quote them in their entirety and in context, and not just concatenate those
parts that suit your malicious purposes.

Finally, my posts are aimed at providing entertainment and a public
service. Anyone who feels annoyed, abused threatened or harassed by my
posts needs to get psychiactric help and needs to stop participating in
newsgroups that are open to the public.