tedhyland

Default Emergency Pinch Roller Help!

I used some pinch roller cleaner that I don't usually use and it turned
my rollers into a sticky gooey mess. I usually use a slight soapy
solution or isopropol alcohol but this time I didn't and now the tape is
sticking to the rollers on my Studer A80 MKII. I have a session on
Tuesday. Do I have to order new ones real fast or can I save them?

Thanks for any help. I'll check back in a while.

Ted
Mike Cleaver

In my experience, that means they're fried.
Haven't played with reel to reel's for years now but I think a new
roller is in order.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:05:07 GMT, tedhyland
wrote:

I used some pinch roller cleaner that I don't usually use and it turned
my rollers into a sticky gooey mess. I usually use a slight soapy
solution or isopropol alcohol but this time I didn't and now the tape is
sticking to the rollers on my Studer A80 MKII. I have a session on
Tuesday. Do I have to order new ones real fast or can I save them?

Thanks for any help. I'll check back in a while.

Ted

Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Stephen Anderson

Let it sit for several hours, the cleaner may evaporate and leave a
functional roller. Also, try and rinse it with 99% isopropyl alcohol,
which may rinse out the offending organic compounds.

I had a similar problem with a roller cleaner product from a company
called Geneva, sold at some of the recording supply houses here in L.A.

It may just be too old. If it can't be salvaged, don't get a new roller
from Studer. The roller from Athan in San Francisco is far better. It's
one piece, no separate tires, and it has 3 "tire" protrusions on it,
which will press against the in-between spots on the capstan that are
not polished smooth.

www.athan.com

Speak to George, he's a good guy.

--
Stephen Anderson

~At the end of the day, it's all about
the music

Scott Dorsey

tedhyland wrote:
I used some pinch roller cleaner that I don't usually use and it turned
my rollers into a sticky gooey mess. I usually use a slight soapy
solution or isopropol alcohol but this time I didn't and now the tape is
sticking to the rollers on my Studer A80 MKII. I have a session on
Tuesday. Do I have to order new ones real fast or can I save them?

If this is the case, your pinch roller was probably shot already, and you
put on some cleaner that used methyl acetate and it softened up the already
damaged urethane. You really need to get new ones or have the old ones
recapped.

In a pinch, you can probably put these on a lathe and turn them down with
some fine sandpaper until you have a more usable surface. This will hold
you for a while while the new ones come in.

Pinch rollers are disposable items and need replacing every few years.

Scott Dorsey

Stephen Anderson wrote:

I had a similar problem with a roller cleaner product from a company
called Geneva, sold at some of the recording supply houses here in L.A.

The Geneva/Nortronics pinch roller stuff was methyl acetate. Not really
intended as a cleaner so much as a softener. It's good stuff on natural
rubber rollers and it prevents them from crosslinking and getting shiny
and hard. BUT, if you have urethane that is breaking down, it will make
it break down faster.

It may just be too old. If it can't be salvaged, don't get a new roller
from Studer. The roller from Athan in San Francisco is far better. It's
one piece, no separate tires, and it has 3 "tire" protrusions on it,
which will press against the in-between spots on the capstan that are
not polished smooth.

Absolutely. And Athan can rebuild your old roller with new urethane too,
so you'll have a spare.

Handywired

I used some pinch roller cleaner that I don't usually use and it turned
my rollers into a sticky gooey mess. I have a session on
Tuesday. Do I have to order new ones real fast or can I save them?

My first reaction is that you need new rollers... they need to be round, and
if you ran tape with them gooey, they probably aren't anymore.

BTW, what did you use???

-jeff
Edi Zubovic

wrote:

I used some pinch roller cleaner that I don't usually use and it turned
my rollers into a sticky gooey mess. I usually use a slight soapy
solution or isopropol alcohol but this time I didn't and now the tape is
sticking to the rollers on my Studer A80 MKII. I have a session on
Tuesday. Do I have to order new ones real fast or can I save them?

Thanks for any help. I'll check back in a while.

Ted

-- I have two types of pinch rollers for my Revox B77. The older seems
to be made of a good and stable rubber and I usually wash it in water,
using a mild household abrasive whic is good for any buildup and seems
not to take away any rubber. Then there is a new one, made of
synthetic rubber (urethane-based?) which was already unusable when
I've got it (barrel-shaped) so I played with it. That one proved to be
very hygroscopic and after washing in water it got very soft and
sticky and it got a sort of greenish tacky coating. Then I heated it
with a heat gun to see whether I could bring it back to shape. After
becaming quite hot, the roller rubber developed a sort of an oily
"sweat" which I didn't want to remove as I thought it was a sort of a
softener. After a several hours drying, the roller rubber seemed OK
again -- had it not been convex shaped.

The old, rubber Revox pinch roller has an arrow at the rubber rim, the
new ones hasn't.

Just an idea to try to salvage these sticky Revox and possibly Studer
pinch rollers... but this of course is not comparable with new
rollers, which should be obtained befoehand for an optimum
functioning. Also a word of caution for these hygroscopic materials.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Richard Kuschel

wrote:

I used some pinch roller cleaner that I don't usually use and it turned
my rollers into a sticky gooey mess. I usually use a slight soapy
solution or isopropol alcohol but this time I didn't and now the tape is
sticking to the rollers on my Studer A80 MKII. I have a session on
Tuesday. Do I have to order new ones real fast or can I save them?

Thanks for any help. I'll check back in a while.

Ted

-- I have two types of pinch rollers for my Revox B77. The older seems
to be made of a good and stable rubber and I usually wash it in water,
using a mild household abrasive whic is good for any buildup and seems
not to take away any rubber. Then there is a new one, made of
synthetic rubber (urethane-based?) which was already unusable when
I've got it (barrel-shaped) so I played with it.

It's supposed to be barrel shaped.

I've been using one of those for 10 years now on my PR99. It was the new longer
lasting upgrade.

[...]

Yikes! You killed it. "It's dead, Jim"

Richard H. Kuschel
Scott Dorsey

Edi Zubovic edi.zubovic[rem wrote:

-- I have two types of pinch rollers for my Revox B77. The older seems
to be made of a good and stable rubber and I usually wash it in water,
using a mild household abrasive whic is good for any buildup and seems
not to take away any rubber. Then there is a new one, made of
synthetic rubber (urethane-based?) which was already unusable when
I've got it (barrel-shaped) so I played with it. That one proved to be
very hygroscopic and after washing in water it got very soft and
sticky and it got a sort of greenish tacky coating. Then I heated it
with a heat gun to see whether I could bring it back to shape. After
becaming quite hot, the roller rubber developed a sort of an oily
"sweat" which I didn't want to remove as I thought it was a sort of a
softener. After a several hours drying, the roller rubber seemed OK
again -- had it not been convex shaped.

Yes. The urethane rollers get soft and fall apart for the same reason
that we have sticky shed syndrome and that speaker foam deteriorates.
It's the same breakdown process.

The old, rubber Revox pinch roller has an arrow at the rubber rim, the
new ones hasn't.

The rubber rollers do the opposite... they crosslink and get a hard and
shiny surface that slips. Seems to be worse in places with a lot of sulfur
in the air.

Just an idea to try to salvage these sticky Revox and possibly Studer
pinch rollers... but this of course is not comparable with new
rollers, which should be obtained befoehand for an optimum
functioning. Also a word of caution for these hygroscopic materials.

The real solution is to just replace the rubber coating. There are a bunch
of places in the US that can do it... out in Croatia I would ask your local
typewriter repair or offset print shop for local outfits that rebuild platens
and rollers.
Edi Zubovic

--------------(-------------------
Yes. The urethane rollers get soft and fall apart for the same reason
that we have sticky shed syndrome and that speaker foam deteriorates.
It's the same breakdown process.

Yes it seems to be so... as to the speaker foam; there are folks here
who are quite busy in changing the once upon the time very popular
fancy colored speaker foam of loudspeakers owned by some stubborn
lovers of those seventhies' and eighties' gear. But these "green"
Revox pinch rollers were quite sought after among Revox fans.

The rubber rollers do the opposite... they crosslink and get a hard and
shiny surface that slips. Seems to be worse in places with a lot of sulfur
in the air.

Mine is doing well it seems as for the time being. I wash it troughly
from time to time though. And the roller pressure to the capstan
should be around 1,5 -- 2 kilos if I recall it right... this is what
can be overlooked sometimes.

The real solution is to just replace the rubber coating. There are a bunch
of places in the US that can do it... out in Croatia I would ask your local
typewriter repair or offset print shop for local outfits that rebuild platens
and rollers.
--scott

Yes, they ought to know about the rubber work. But there are some
spare brand new rollers around here so I have a replacement. The one I
played with has thousands of hours work behind being then on a PR99 Mk
II for editing work with reporters' tapes at a broadcast station in
Zagreb; they would have a footswitch pedal for starts and stops.
Running Agfa/BASF PER 525 and 528 tapes along with the reporter ones,
(these tapes were deliberately rough so as to bring away any deposit
during a live play and thus notorious for their ability to bring a
head down before its time), the machines were handled quite roughly
too. I have a distance fork guides for a souvenir, the forks have a
1/3 of centimeter notch. Go figure. So I thought the barrel-shaped
pinch roller had gone byebye too.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

{but at present I'm more busy on disciplining a Windows XP
installation. Arrgh.}