free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

Old May 8th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

On 9/05/2019 8:16 AM, James Price wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 2:36:30 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> James Price wrote:
>>>
>>> It's a matter of efficiency, not laziness. Assuming we were both given the
>>> same starting tone to work from, I have little doubt I could match a given
>>> reference tone far faster and with greater accuracy using EQ matching software
>>> than you could by ear using EQ alone.

>> I wouldn't want to use EQ if I could help it, I'd move the microphone or
>> change the amp position or change out the microphone. The better you track,
>> the more you get the sound in the room and at the mike, the less EQ you need
>> to get things to work. EQ is a crutch.

> If you don't have to use EQ, don't use it. That said, a calculator is a
> crutch, albeit a very useful one.

A poor comparison.

For anything more than basic calculations a calculator is a necessary
and convenient tool (unless an arithmetic genius, or pencil-and-paper
fundamentalist), which is used almost exclusively.

OK many people wouldn't be able to do it long-handedly.

Old May 8th 19, 10:49 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 3:04:50 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 5/8/2019 1:02 PM, James Price wrote:
> > EQ matching is well suited in the case of a guitarist who has
> > a specific sound they're interested in replicating and to which they have a
> > reference track. If you can find a tone that the guitarist or producer agrees
> > is better than the reference, all the better.
> > than the reference,

> But wouldn't the first step be to listen to what comes out of the
> amplifier and adjust the amp, the guitar, and the playing to get the
> sound you want - using your reference track as . . um . . a reference?
>
> Or are we assuming that you're mixing a track that's fully baked, must
> be part of the production, and will not be replaced? I'm glad that I
> don't have to take jobs like that.

Either/or.

In the first instance, you could adjust the amp, guitar, mic/position, etc.
and use the reference track as a reference. That's obviously the most commonly
used option. I mean, if you can copy the sound of the reference by ear faster than you can EQ match it, great.
Old May 8th 19, 11:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 4:04:53 PM UTC-5, david gourley wrote:
> James Price said...news:5ad95c4f-6e95-4d15-972c-
> :

> given

> software
> >>
> >> And maybe I could find a better sound than the reference.

> > Quite possibly. EQ matching is well suited in the case of a guitarist who

> has
> > a specific sound they're interested in replicating and to which they have

> > reference track. If you can find a tone that the guitarist or producer

> agrees
> > is better than the reference, all the better.
> > than the reference,

> AS a guitarist, I use different amps, guitars, and effects (when called
> for) for any particular sound, and the rest is down to using favorable
> microphones and positioning them.
>
> If you didn't get the right tone the first time, try something else and re-
> record it.
>
> Or try re-amping. Anything like that will work better. Sometimes
> "efficiency" just does not rock !

As a guitarist myself, the status quo is to use different amps, guitars,
mics, cabs or effects to create a particular sound, and re-amping can
be an effective option. Like re-amping, EQ matching is another option
that's effective for particular use cases. When applicable, it can be
extremely effective and efficient. It's simply another tool.
Old May 8th 19, 11:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 4:39:42 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 9/05/2019 8:16 AM, James Price wrote:

> >> I wouldn't want to use EQ if I could help it, I'd move the microphone or
> >> change the amp position or change out the microphone. The better you track,
> >> the more you get the sound in the room and at the mike, the less EQ you need
> >> to get things to work. EQ is a crutch.

> > If you don't have to use EQ, don't use it. That said, a calculator is a
> > crutch, albeit a very useful one.
> >

> A poor comparison.
>
> For anything more than basic calculations a calculator is a necessary
> and convenient tool (unless an arithmetic genius, or pencil-and-paper
> fundamentalist), which is used almost exclusively.
>
> OK many people wouldn't be able to do it long-handedly.
>
> geoff

In my opinion, it's a rather fitting comparison. There are many instances
where it's simply more convenient and faster to calculate numbers using a
calculator that it is to calculate them hand or in my head. If I need to
add a series of numbers, a calculator can save time.
Old May 8th 19, 11:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 3:06:08 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 5/8/2019 1:23 PM, James Price wrote:
> > I wasn't suggesting that EQ matching necessarily solves a problem. It
> > simplifies the process of replicating a given tone.

> Isn't the problem: "I don't know how the heck they got that tone?"

That's not necessarily how I look at it, but that's one way to look at it.
Old May 8th 19, 11:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_]

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 4:39:42 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
> On 9/05/2019 8:16 AM, James Price wrote:

> >> I wouldn't want to use EQ if I could help it, I'd move the microphone or
> >> change the amp position or change out the microphone. The better you track,
> >> the more you get the sound in the room and at the mike, the less EQ you need
> >> to get things to work. EQ is a crutch.

> > If you don't have to use EQ, don't use it. That said, a calculator is a
> > crutch, albeit a very useful one.
> >

> A poor comparison.
>
> For anything more than basic calculations a calculator is a necessary
> and convenient tool (unless an arithmetic genius, or pencil-and-paper
> fundamentalist), which is used almost exclusively.
>
> OK many people wouldn't be able to do it long-handedly.

In my opinion, it's a rather fitting comparison. There are many instances
where it's simply more convenient and faster for me to calculate numbers using
a calculator than it is to calculate them by hand or in my head. If I need to
add a series of numbers, a calculator can save time.