Telefunken Neumann U67

Old April 29th 19, 07:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG

Default Telefunken Neumann U67

Here’s another low budget conundrum for you folks.

Two weeks ago I went to our local auction house to check out a pile of
gear salvaged from a mothballed film/audio studio. This turned out to
be from a government-run educational production facility, equipped and
active from the early 70’s. (I got the impression a lot of stuff was
donated from the CBC; it was just the sort of equipment that, in1971
would have been deemed too old to bother with anymore. At that time
they were dumping anything tube in favour of transistor, and were
sending RCA ribbon mics to the dump.)

In one box of odds’n’ends I fished out a Telefunken U67 power supply and
microphone swivel stem with disintegrating wire, but the microphone was
nowhere to be seen. I thought maybe for $100 I’d take a chance on
resale/repurpose potential, but of course the regular bottomless pockets
guy (aka BPG) bid it up to $400. (A modern replacement ps is anywhere
between $1000 and $2000, plus whatever plugs it takes to build the cable.)

So, in this week’s auction notices I see an orphaned U67…
http://www.kayesauctions.com/files/P...%20(Small).JPG

It doesn’t appear to have been abused, but maybe it needs a capsule
rebuild. Looking up current Ebay resale prices (easily US$10,000 for a
working system) this sort of thing is out of my league, but BPG will be
there, and he’s already got the power supply. I assume he’s going to
flip it up through the brokerage chain and it will eventually end up in
some rock star’s studio.
If I had to buy or cobble together a ps, and had to reskin the capsule
somewhere (how much is that?) I fear such a project would approach
retail value anyway.

Question: What’s a U67 minimum value (in unknown working condition and
sans power supply)? How much would you pay at an auction?

Or… should I just suppress my petty jealousy and let BPG steal it for
500 bucks?