repair broadcast distortion?

Old April 26th 19, 08:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI

Default repair broadcast distortion?

As those who have been following along know, I am making a rather
hurried effort to record, for my personal archives, several time
stations, particularly the US ones that were originally scheduled to go
off the air at the start of the year, but were saved. Anyhow, progress
is proceeding nicely with clean up of the signals; in fact, I doubt I'll
have to use any NR as I am carefully lifting good signal sections and
layering them in/ over more noisy spots. Takes more time, but I think
it will be worth it over NR.

Anyway, I am coming across at least one broadcast message that appears
to be overmodulated, very similar to clipping in audio. At first I
thought it was the way I was recording it, but even trying various
receivers in other locations, this one message overmodulates the
transmitter a bit. So the question is, can I fix these two or three
spots? With a digital recording, it would be a no brainer to provide
declipping fix, but this case is different because the clipping is
already present and not something I caused. I still have access to
Adobe Audacity CC 2018, but hurrying fast as the trial runs out
tomorrow.

Thanks!
JBI
Old April 26th 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 26/04/2019 20:19, JBI wrote:
I still have access to
> Adobe Audacity CC 2018, but hurrying fast as the trial runs out tomorrow.

If the tool you are using is a VST plugin, the open source editor
Audacity can use it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old April 26th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI

On 4/26/19 3:28 PM, John Williamson wrote:
> On 26/04/2019 20:19, JBI wrote:
> *I still have access to
>> Adobe Audacity CC 2018, but hurrying fast as the trial runs out tomorrow.
>>

> If the tool you are using is a VST plugin, the open source editor
> Audacity can use it.

Sorry, I meant Adobe Audition, not Audacity, good catch!

Old April 26th 19, 09:38 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

On 26/04/2019 20:48, JBI wrote:
> On 4/26/19 3:28 PM, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 26/04/2019 20:19, JBI wrote:
>> I still have access to
>>> Adobe Audacity CC 2018, but hurrying fast as the trial runs out
>>> tomorrow.
>>>

>> If the tool you are using is a VST plugin, the open source editor
>> Audacity can use it.
>>

> Sorry, I meant Adobe Audition, not Audacity, good catch!

I only mentioned it as both Audition and Audacity are capable of using
some of the same VST plugins, and I have some of them on both programs here.

Audacity is open source and so is free to use.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old April 26th 19, 09:57 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, JBI > wrote:

>Anyway, I am coming across at least one broadcast message that appears
>to be overmodulated, very similar to clipping in audio. At first I
>thought it was the way I was recording it, but even trying various
>receivers in other locations, this one message overmodulates the
>transmitter a bit. So the question is, can I fix these two or three
>spots? With a digital recording, it would be a no brainer to provide
>declipping fix, but this case is different because the clipping is
>already present and not something I caused. I still have access to
>Adobe Audacity CC 2018, but hurrying fast as the trial runs out

There are anti-clipping tools out there.... but if this is for archive
purposes, why would you want to do anything? It's what it originally
sounded like, it's what should be on the recording.

If this was the Venezuelan time station, it's often like that. Radio
Reloj can do some pretty peculiar things too. Maintenance is likely
kind of doubtful.

Old April 26th 19, 10:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_]

JBI > wrote:

[...]will be worth it over NR.

> Anyway, I am coming across at least one broadcast message that appears
> to be overmodulated, very similar to clipping in audio.

If the transmitter is distant enough for you to be receiving both ground
wave and sky wave, they could be partially cancelling in such a way as
to suppress one of the sidebands, this can mimic all sorts of
distortions.

If you have an SSB receiver or an AM receiver with adjustable bandwidth,
try tuning first one then the other sideband and see if that gives an
improvement.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk