Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Bit Rate versus Sample Rate

I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
explain the difference?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/05/2019 12:09, mcp6453 wrote:
I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
explain the difference?

Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
(or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
number of seats in each car or bus.

Not perfect,but probably close enough.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
(or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
number of seats in each car or bus.

Not perfect,but probably close enough.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

NIce one, John!

And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz (that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/05/2019 15:08, Ty Ford wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
(or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
number of seats in each car or bus.

Not perfect,but probably close enough.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

NIce one, John!

And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz (that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.

Lots of empty seats in the buses?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/05/2019 8:30 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/05/2019 15:08, Ty Ford wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
Bit rate is the total number ofÂ* people in cars (Or buses) passing a
point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
(or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
number of seats in each car or bus.

Not perfect,but probably close enough.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

NIce one, John!

And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost
information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz
(that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette
audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.

Lots of empty seats in the buses?

Hopefully, otherwise how would you represent the zeros in a binary word.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Lots of empty seats in the buses?

Hopefully, otherwise how would you represent the zeros inÂ* a binary word.

geoff

Here we go with numberism again. Zeros are bus riders like any
other numeric values. I suppose you want them to sit in the back.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Bit depth" is a meaningless term that was invented because somebody
didn't think that consumers could understand "sample rate" and "word
length."

Creeping meatballism rules!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/05/2019 2:08 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:45:44 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
Bit rate is the total number of people in cars (Or buses) passing a
point on the road per unit of time. Sample rate is the number of cars
(or buses) passing the same point in the same time. Sample depth is the
number of seats in each car or bus.

Not perfect,but probably close enough.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

NIce one, John!

And BOTH are vitally important. Also, you can not restore lost information, so rolling an audio cassette into a 16-bit, 44.1kHz (that's the spec for CD) session does not transform that cassette audio into CD quality audio. It's just cassette audio in a CD wrapper.

Or the very best of vinyl into 44k1/16 for that matter.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson: "sample depth"..??

First time I ever head of that. Are you sure you
didn't mean BIT depth? Even my cats know what
that is lol!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/05/2019 3:18 PM, wrote:
John Williamson: "sample depth"..??

First time I ever head of that. Are you sure you
didn't mean BIT depth? Even my cats know what
that is lol!

Bit depth of the sample. Pretty straightforward. What a limited
understanding-depth your cats have.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "Bit depth of the sample. Pretty straightforward. What a limited
understanding-depth your cats have.

geoff "

I've read up on the fundamentals of digital audio on many websites,
viewed endless YouTubes on the subject, and not once was mentioned
the term "sample depth". I guess they all don't know what they're
talking about.

Learn something new every day I guess!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Theckmaah theckmahh @ tardsRus . org wrote in message

I've read up on the fundamentals of digital audio on many websites,

And obviously, didn't understand a word of it.

I guess they all don't know what they're talking about.

No, you're the one who doesnt know what you're talking about, and you just
love to prove that, don't you, li'l buddy?

Learn something new every day I guess!

Not you, theckmah. You refuse to learn. As you keep proving.

HTH. FCKWFDF!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
explain the difference?

Sample rate is an indication of bandwidth (it is twice the bandwidth).
Word length is an indication of dynamic range (each bit doubles the range).
For uncompressed data, bit rate is the sample rate times the word rate
times the number of channels.

Once you start talking about compressed audio, all bets are off.

But literally, bit rate is how much data you can fit through the hose.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_] Ralph Barone[_3_] is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
explain the difference?

Sample rate is how often you look at the waveform to update your
measurements of it. Bit rate is how much information youre sending, and it
is a combination of sample rate (how often you measure it), sample depth
(how accurately you measure it) and compression ratio (how much information
youre willing to throw away).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/05/2019 11:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
I've been asked to explain bit rate versus sample rate to a
non-technical audience. Can anyone think of a good *analogy* to help
explain the difference?

Sample-rate is a solid figure based on double the highest frequency to
be sampled.

Bit-rate in linear systems (LPCM) is the sample rate multiplied by the
bit depth.

In non-linear systems the bit rate is the rate of digital data being
delivered, however this has no relationship to that of LPCM other that
lower bit rates equate to lower fidelity.... the exception being where
lossless data compression has been applied, which although being a
bit-rate lower than the equivalent spec LPCM, should have bit-identical
output.

geoff