chung

Default Audiophile glossary

Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

1. Dark
2. Liquid
3. Bloom
4. Fast
5. Slow
6. Relaxed
7. Tight
8. Loose
9. Air
10. Sterile
11. Mechanical
12. Warm
13. Cold
14. Analytical
15. Laid-back
17. Digital grit
18. Involving and uninvolving
19. Clinical
20. Grain
21. Strident
22. Forced

Fell free to add more.

Chris Johnson

In article , chung
wrote:
Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

Are you serious, or simply mocking the tendency to use flowery
language? If you are serious I can at least offer MY understanding of
what these mean, for good or ill. At least most of them...

1. Dark

Lacking in the type of high frequencies thought of as 'bright'; there
can also be a correlation between veiling of low level high frequencies,
like the inverse of 'parallel compression'.

2. Liquid

Okay, this one's tough. Associated with designs that have extremely
little crossover distortion (like class A amplification), my 'take' on
this one is that it comes from deft handling of extremely low level
sound information. There's no specific frequency range associated with
'liquid', but it's more obvious in the midrange where the ear is most
sensitive.

3. Bloom

Rather the same thing- I'm guessing that this is again due to very
low level sonic information, and again is helped by a lack of artifacts
like crossover distortion. Important: sounds can be extremely distorted
in frequency response terms and still have 'liquidity' and 'bloom', it's
nothing to do with accuracy except perhaps the ability to retrieve low
level detail smoothly! 'Bloom' can be 'distortion'.

4. Fast

Presenting the sensory impression of a musical statement without any
lag or bog- or, allowing higher frequency emphasis to exaggerate the
crispness of the response. Ideally all audio would at least be capable
of being ultimately 'fast' WHEN NEEDED.

5. Slow

Obvious impeding of a musical statement. Example: if you put a big
felt disc over your woofer, you'll lower its resonant frequency, BUT the
material is not anything like rigid and will produce a great deal of
lossy damping. Result: more controlled bass, less resonant peak to it,
but at the same time it will be VERY 'slow' due to the felt lagging
behind the movements of the cone slightly.

6. Relaxed

Tough one. An ability to present a musical statement without any
perception of limitedness? I would think power supply issues would be
central here, but it's pretty ambiguous, worth a whole essay, which
would then be hopelessly subjective.

7. Tight

Connotations of a more restricted presentation than 'relaxed': like
putting out terribly accurate transient peaks but constraining them
somehow. You can produce the sensation 'tight' by use of audio
compressors on a recording.

8. Loose

The opposite- expansive but WRONG. Sloppy. Easily produced through
bad bass-reflex designs or bass resonances, not often used in other
frequency ranges. I've heard poorly designed experimental planar drivers
sound 'loose' in the midrange when they had problematic resonances.

9. Air

Midrange and high frequency low-level detail, especially high
frequency. This is easily produced through using audio compressors on a
recording. By the same token, expanding the dynamics or noise gating low
level details can get rid of 'air' very substantially. 'air' in the best
sense also requires accurate and distortion-free low level detail, and
the term is used of single-ended designs even when there are frequency
compromises.

10. Sterile

Several classes of problems: low level inharmonic distortion, such as
crossover distortion or quantization distortion, plus unnatural things
happening in the frequency range like a brickwall filter. Very often
this term is used in conjunction with 'thin', 'cardboardy' and so on.
You can also hear it quite easily in mp3 lossy-compressed audio,
particularly at low bit rates.

11. Mechanical

This is just weird. I can only conclude it's about either low
frequency or high frequency time modulations causing the subtle timings
of the music to be washed out by inconsistent reproduction. Surely this
one is mostly trotted out by people trying to find a way to explain how
XYZ turntable sounds _better_ than the last one? It makes me suspect
that different forms of jitter/flutter, not simply low-frequency wow,
are at fault. If you can't lock onto the music's timing beyond a certain
point it might seem 'mechanical'. I'm not very impressed by this term.

12. Warm

'I paid 300,000$ for this preamp'
No, seriously- I'm pretty sure this is down to low level detail
retrieval, specifically the ability to retrieve that low level detail
without hyping it up or adding any distortion artifacts to it. It is
absolutely not related to the frequency domain, because you can have
serious frequency domain problems and still get 'warm'. However, you
don't have to.

13. Cold

Problems with the low level detail, combined with frequency response
problems. Bad digital is great at 'cold': really cheap inadequate
electrolytics in the signal path simultaneously putting extra distortion
on the low level detail AND restricting the deepest bass while passing a
lot of the obnoxious bad-digital high frequencies gives you lots of
'cold'. Transistors' abilities to pass a lot of high frequencies while
also being capable of crossover distortion stuff gave them a reputation
for 'cold' too. There needs to be treble boost relative to the bass AND
problems with distortion at low levels (not simply high-amplitude
clipping) to really give you Cold.

14. Analytical

Same deal, but if it's Analytical you can hold the low-level
distortions and just expect the treble boost.

15. Laid-back

Presentation of musical information so that the harmonic balance
resembles what you'd get if the music was at a distance. This primarily
means treble attenuation, but not in an exaggerated way: just enough to
alter the apparent distance of the music.

Ditto, except that the treble is boosted in such a way that the
harmonic balance resembles what you'd get if the instruments are all too
close, really in your face. These two qualities are easily experimented
with using equalization, although it will affect other sonic qualities
as well. Try it and see if you can 'place' the music at a specific
distance using EQ alone. Distance attenuation is a particular contour,
not just arbitrary, so the shelving frequency will have to be
appropriate- the effect increases with frequency, you wouldn't be
cutting both 3K and 30K by the same amount.

17. Digital grit

Heinous levels of inharmonic distortion such as you get from
undithered quantization. Also can develop in Digital Audio Workstations
from doing extensive and repeated calculations on an audio sample and
continually re-quantizing it to the bus wordlength (such as 24 bit, or
in a worse case repeatedly requantizing to 16 bit)

18. Involving and uninvolving

This one is so completely subjective there's little point talking
about it- all the other adjectives sum up to a result state that could
be called more or less involving. It's possible to have a totally
involving system, but be in an un-receptive frame of mind and completely
fail to be 'involved', or be listening to low-fi garbage and be terribly
involved for other reasons or associations.

19. Clinical

This is akin to Analytical, with a suggestion that it's not so hyped
as to be passionate or anything: I would assume small amounts of
inharmonic distortion like crossover or quantization distortion, very
little harmonic distortion or restriction of frequency range, bass-lean
but not in a wildly exaggerated way: what for many people would be 'good
enough'. Many budget-oriented parts choices for analog stage electronics
can lean in this direction.

20. Grain

Most easily explained through listening to an 8 bit PCM linear
encoded audio file at reasonably high sampling rate. That slight
crunchiness and the particular sonic texture you're getting? That's
'grain'. It can be made smaller and smaller until you get to diminishing
returns, and different people have different thresholds for what they
expect out of it. The SET guys are by far the most demanding about
'grain', and will make big tradeoffs in overall frequency balance for
the sake of absolute minimum inharmonic distortion.

21. Strident

Frequency domain: bright. Whether done nicely or nastily this is
always going to mean some kind of treble boost.

22. Forced

Whoa.
Okay, I give up. What is that supposed to mean?
Whatever it is, it must be the opposite of 'relaxed', but there's no
good definition for that either. It sure isn't attributable to any one
frequency or resolution domain issue I'm aware of. I'm going to go way
out on a limb and guess that this forced/relaxed comes from the handling
of hot transient information and whether this is presented in a way that
resembles how sound mixes in air. Air isn't linear, and good digital and
electronic systems are linear, so there's the capacity for extremely
accurate reproduction equipment to present music 'unyieldingly': if you
backed off about 20 feet it would sound different and perhaps a lot less
'forced' but in listening position there might be an unnatural quality
that can't be attributed to any specific fault. I have heard this from
digital mixers, actually, and it's a widely debated topic among pro
sound engineers who choose between mixing within a DAW or sending
outputs to an analog mixing board and then resampling.

Chris Johnson
chung

chung wrote:
Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

Since no one seems to want to define these, I'll take a stab.
Disclaimer: I have not read that many TAS/Stereophile reviews, but I
don't think they are necessarily the undisputed authorities.

1. Dark

Opposite of bright (duh)! Not a very good thing.

2. Liquid

Tube-like. Significant 2nd harmonic? Very good thing, if you like tubes.

3. Bloom

A smearing, meaning harmonics are not maintained in the original ratios.
Generally bad.

4. Fast

For speakers, very good thing. Means accurate transient response, due to
good crossover design. For amplifiers, I have no idea.

5. Slow

Opposite of fast . Bad.

6. Relaxed

Refers to the reviewer's state of mind.

7. Tight

For bass, meaning low distortion and fast. Usually good.

8. Loose

Opposite of tight. Bad.

9. Air

Modulation, like microphonics. Good thing if you like tubes.

10. Sterile

Not tube like, and not euphonic. Derogatory term.

11. Mechanical

Same as sterile.

12. Warm

Elevated mid-range. Good.

13. Cold

Flat frequency response. Bad.

14. Analytical

Same as cold, but a little less derogatory.

15. Laid-back

Same as relaxed of course!

No idea. Played at a slightly higher volume?

17. Digital grit

Used to describe any inexpensive CD player. Bad.

18. Involving and uninvolving

Refers to state of mind of reviewer.

19. Clinical

Same as analytical.

20. Grain

Either unevenness in frequency response (speakers) or same as digital
grit. Bad.

21. Strident

Forced.

22. Forced

Strident!

Fell free to add more.

Should have read "feel free".

And finally:

23. Musical: Ultimate trump card of them all. Used to describe stuff I
like that is not accurate!

Have fun!

chung

Mkuller wrote:

chung wrote:
[...]

Since these descriptive words are commonly used in high-end audio reviews, most
regular readers of them understand what they mean. If you aren't sure what
they mean, then perhaps you should read more reviews in TAS and Stereophile and
then listen to the components described to hear for yourself. Otherwise it's
like trying to describe colors to someone who can't see.

In some past issues of TAS, the editor has
written a preface entitled, "How to read The Absolute Sound", where he
describes his meaning and use of some of these terms.
Regards,
Mike

OK, you have to be a regular reader of high-end audio reviews in order
to understand what these words mean. So the question is: Can one be an
audiophile if one does not read a lot of high-end audio reviews? That
is, can one be an audiophile without being a subscriber of TAS or
Stereophile? Also, can one be an audiophile without knowing what these
words mean?

Do you think that there is universal understanding on what these words
mean among the readers of TAS and Stereophile? Would you and, say Mr
Lavo's understanding of the adjective "strident" (just to pick one) be
the same?

chung

Chris Johnson wrote:

In article , chung
wrote:
Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

Are you serious, or simply mocking the tendency to use flowery
language? If you are serious I can at least offer MY understanding of
what these mean, for good or ill. At least most of them...

Of course I am serious, although that does not mean that one cannot have
fun with some of these... I am curious if people actually have some
common understanding of these terms, and I also want to know what some
of these mean.

At least you try to explain it in engineering terms, so there is some
link to measurements. That is good.

Steven Sullivan

chung wrote:
Chris Johnson wrote:

In article , chung
wrote:
Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

Are you serious, or simply mocking the tendency to use flowery
language? If you are serious I can at least offer MY understanding of
what these mean, for good or ill. At least most of them...

Of course I am serious, although that does not mean that one cannot have
fun with some of these... I am curious if people actually have some
common understanding of these terms, and I also want to know what some
of these mean.

At least you try to explain it in engineering terms, so there is some
link to measurements. That is good.

Harley spends a chapter defining audiophile culture jargon in his Complete Guide
to Home Theater. All the usual suspects (e.g. fast bass) are there, but
only occasionally are they related in a meaningful way to engineering terms.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

One of my favorites from a brit hifi mag - "chocolate". Because one can
invent them at will, here is mine: my speakers have a very high level of
"karmic energy" found lacking in speakers many times their price.

I really doubt many of these terms have any universal usage and almost
certain that there is no reference by which to know that if one adopts
them and even has some agreement among friends what it might be that what
is in the hifi rags means the same. There is a testable theory here which
is now assumed to be valid, not.

One of the EE groups published a glossary of terms to be used in listening
evaluations and provided definitions, maybe even examples for reference,
somewhere on the net. But, darn if I can find it again. As I recall, the
terms refered to properties which have a known physical analog, ie.
"bright" is relative meaing that compared to the lower part of the
spectrum that there is an higher level in the high part. That kind of
glossary might have some real universal application, quite apart from
those motivated by being forced by literary repetition and seeking to
seperate oneself from among other such "artists" in the rags, to invent
neww terms. Without some universal definition of what is meant and clear
application to known audio effects, the vocabulary of the rags and those
who follow them is meaningless. On the other hand, using them is perfect
for relating perceptions based only in human psychology, peer group
pressure, marketing practices, and for use when having no phisical
electrical/acoustic reality to which to apply them or have their reality
jeopardized by controlled testing.

S888Wheel

Steven said

Harley spends a chapter defining audiophile culture jargon in his Complete
Guide
to Home Theater. All the usual suspects (e.g. fast bass) are there, but
only occasionally are they related in a meaningful way to engineering terms.

Given the fact that more than one such glossary has been published by
subjectivists, I would hope that some people would read them before making
claims that such jargon is meaningless. While relating such terms to
engineering terms may be quite helpful for engineers, most audiophiles are not
engineers. Since there is no prerequisite that audiophiles be engineers, I see
no reason to require terms describing perception To be correlated with
engineering terms to be acceptable for use among audiophiles. I think Chris did
an admirable job of defining some jargon.

Bruce J. Richman

Scott wrote:

Steven said

[...]

It's also fairly certain that with the exception of some engineers and other
anti-subjectivie-opinion adherents, most buyers of audio electronics are not
going to base their purchase decisions solely on published specifications or
variables they might decide to measure themselves. While factors such as human
perception and psychological biases are frequently derided by some
objectivists, the fact remains that for many, "personal taste", which involves
such factors, is an important consideration when making decisions.

Bruce J. Richman

Nousaine

chung wrote:

Mkuller wrote:

chung
wrote:
[...]

Even that doesn't work. None of those descriptions have a basis in sound. They
all describe some other sense, some physical attribute other than acoustical
sound or some psychological human aspect.

There's nothing wrong with metaphor but those terms have no meaning other than
to the individual using them because they do not describe any aspects of sound
either physically or psychoacoustically.

So the question is: Can one be an
audiophile if one does not read a lot of high-end audio reviews? That
is, can one be an audiophile without being a subscriber of TAS or
Stereophile? Also, can one be an audiophile without knowing what these
words mean?

My solution is to drop the word audiophile from my resume. In today's world an
"audiophile" who spends more time talking about his system than listening to it
and spends large amounts of time on "tweaks" that have no acoustic effect and
then a large amount of time convicing himself that they do.

Do you think that there is universal understanding on what these words
mean among the readers of TAS and Stereophile? Would you and, say Mr
Lavo's understanding of the adjective "strident" (just to pick one) be
the same?

There's no basic understanding at any level. They're just code words for
placebo.

Gary Vander Schel

IMO, and I'm just a casual listener, subjective descriptions are appropriate
for loudspeakers and/or DACs...but when reviewers utilize them otherwise
there is the risk of wandering from the path and ending ass-deep in the
weeds. For example, here are a few descriptors for an IC review: "big,
expansive, dynamic, powerful, fast..." Credibility, like virginity, isn't
easily restored once it's lost...

S888Wheel

Tom said

Even that doesn't work. None of those descriptions have a basis in sound. They
all describe some other sense, some physical attribute other than acoustical
sound or some psychological human aspect.

"Bright" is different in what way? Is "bright" acceptable or unacceptable
descriptive language? If it is acceptable then your objection to descriptive
words that have no basis in sound simply does not hold water.

Tom said

There's nothing wrong with metaphor but those terms have no meaning other than
to the individual using them because they do not describe any aspects of sound
either physically or psychoacoustically.

Metaphors are inherently imprecise. But once again, someone claims that they
are meaningless. That is just nonsense. There is a lot of room between
universal understanding and zero understanding. Metaphors are a common means of
communication for many people in audio and beyond audio. Your objections will
not change that fact. Criticism of people for using them will more likely lead
to alienation rather than better communication.

Tom said

My solution is to drop the word audiophile from my resume.

I never saw any point in listing my hobbies on my resume.

Tom said

In today's world an
"audiophile" who spends more time talking about his system than listening to it
and spends large amounts of time on "tweaks" that have no acoustic effect and
then a large amount of time convincing himself that they do.

Thank goodness your world doesn't include stereotyping. Does this mean I have
to listen less and talk more about audio to meet your definition or am I simply
not allowed to call myself an audiophile? The only other alternative I see is
to claim your painting of audiophiles simply has no global truth to it.

Tom said

There's no basic understanding at any level. They're just code words for
placebo.

Yet another claim that metaphors in audio are meaningless. I guess those who
think they understand each other when they use figurative speech are just
fooling themselves.

Bruce Abrams

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message
*snip*
It's also fairly certain that with the exception of some engineers and

other
anti-subjectivie-opinion adherents, most buyers of audio electronics are

not
going to base their purchase decisions solely on published specifications

or
variables they might decide to measure themselves. While factors such as

human
perception and psychological biases are frequently derided by some
objectivists, the fact remains that for many, "personal taste", which

involves
such factors, is an important consideration when making decisions.

Be that as it may, it's also fairly apparent that the invented lingua franca
of audiophilia was created for the express purpose of obfuscation. There is
simply no other way to explain how the phrase "liquid midrange" came into
being when far more understandable terms that relate to the auditory
experience were readily available. If we simply referred to sound in terms
of frequency and phase response we would have a much clearer understanding
of what things really sound like. If, for example, a pair of speakers were
said to sound a bit tipped up in the 10-12kHz region, we would soon come to
understand what that sounds like in real terms.

The creation of the language of "Audio-obfuscation", however, greatly
enabled the sales and marketing departments of manufacturers and publishers
to concoct all manner of fanciful stories based on that language. In
retrospect, that language may have been Harry Pearson and Gordon Holt's
single greatest gift to the high end industry. Just think how many amps
would have been described to have sounded the same if the term "liquid
midrange" would have never been invented.

chung

Chris Johnson wrote:

In article , chung
wrote:
Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

Are you serious, or simply mocking the tendency to use flowery
language? If you are serious I can at least offer MY understanding of
what these mean, for good or ill. At least most of them...

All your explanations are tied to frequency response, distortion or
noise effects, most easily observed in speaker systems. Would you have
been surprised that almost all of these adjectives were used in the
review of *interconnects*?

[...]

Bruce J. Richman

Bruce Abrams wrote:

[...]

I disagree. Impugning the motives of audio reviewers because of an
anti-subjectivist view of audio equipment adn desire to rely solely on
measurements just won't fly absent empirical evidence to support accusations of
obfuscation. While one can admittedly select partrcular idiosyncratic phrases
(e.g. liquid midrange) to try and push a generalized accusation (i.e.
obfuscation), I could just as easily advance the argument that the "motives" of
the reviewers are to use a vocabulary which they may feel their
non-measurement-oriented readers can understand. Granted, there is always room
for disagreement in the interpretation of what a particular audio term means
whenever *anything* other than a measurement per se is specified. However,
this then begs the question of why listen at all if you wish to dismiss and
minimize the role of human perceptual differences and preferences? Just
purchase whatever product, at whatever price point, fulfills your measurement
preferences. No need for reviewing at all in this case, I suppose.

There is
simply no other way to explain how the phrase "liquid midrange" came into
being when far more understandable terms that relate to the auditory
experience were readily available. If we simply referred to sound in terms
of frequency and phase response we would have a much clearer understanding
of what things really sound like. If, for example, a pair of speakers were
said to sound a bit tipped up in the 10-12kHz region, we would soon come to
understand what that sounds like in real terms.

That may be true, and is certainly more prcise than saying "midrange emphasis"
, for example, but unfortunately, in the non-measurement-oriented real world in
which your average hobbyist may desire to have a personal audition before
making a purchase decision, how realistic is it to assume that descriptions in
measurement variable terms are meaningful to those that don't routinely measure
components and have a frame-of-reference for what "10K-12K peaks" might mean in
terms of perceived sound.

One way to come closer to resolving this conundrum, IMHO, might be to have some
empirical studies done in which components with known, previously measured
specifications that deviate from absolute neutrality (as defined by response
curves, distortion measurements, etc.) are auditioned and then categorized with
descriptive terms. If , for example, your example of an elevation in the 10-12
kHz region is described with a given component as "bright" or "accentuated in
the midrange" or "forward" by a significant %age of listeners exposed under
identical listening conditions, then perhaps the term would have more meaning.

While it is very facile to be dismissive of all subjective audio reviewers
because they don't adhere strictly to measurements and nothing else in
evaluating products, I think you're overlooking the fact that some magazines,
e.g. Stereophile, *do* routinely include response curves and other measurement
statistics fot the products they review. Also, it is not uncommon for John
Atkinson, in the measurement section of his Stereophile reviews, to try and
point out what he sees as correlations between some of the response variations
that he has measured and the subjective reviewer's subjective impressions of
the same products. (Mr. Atkinson can correct me if I've misinterpreted his
intent, but I think I've made a fair description of how the juxtaposition of
statistical measurements and subjective review data is generally made in a
given product review).

The creation of the language of "Audio-obfuscation", however, greatly
enabled the sales and marketing departments of manufacturers and publishers
to concoct all manner of fanciful stories based on that language. In
retrospect, that language may have been Harry Pearson and Gordon Holt's
single greatest gift to the high end industry. Just think how many amps
would have been described to have sounded the same if the term "liquid
midrange" would have never been invented.

Bruce J. Richman

Nousaine

Bruce Abrams wrote:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message
*snip*
It's also fairly certain that with the exception of some engineers and

other
anti-subjectivie-opinion adherents, most buyers of audio electronics are

not
going to base their purchase decisions solely on published specifications

or
variables they might decide to measure themselves. While factors such as

human
perception and psychological biases are frequently derided by some
objectivists, the fact remains that for many, "personal taste", which

involves
such factors, is an important consideration when making decisions.

This idea is a stereotype. The "objectivists" have conducted ALL the research
on psychacoustics and perecption that has ever been done.

Of course "personal taste" is unassailable for purchase decisions but it has
only a passing relationship to sound quality, which is a consumer advantage
because most electronic products (save a precious few, high cost, incompetents)
have achieved commodity-grade performance, so it's hard for an average consumer
to lose out on sound quality with a quick buy.

[...]

That's an insightful perspective. I agree;and its one of the reasons that these
forums discuss non-sonic relevant topics to excess.

Robert Trosper

At the risk of actually answering a question asked in this newsgroup,
I'm going to give it a whack.

chung wrote:

Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

1. Dark

Overemphasis in the lower frequencies

2. Liquid

Very like real music in that is easy to focus on the music rather than
the sound. The opposite is "discontinuous" where it's much easier to
focus on the things reproducing the music rather than the music itself.
That is, each element of reproduction instead of forming part of a
smoothly flowing liquid "whole" is quite obviously a piece of a patched
together quilt.

3. Bloom

Real instruments produce sound that isn't just restricted to a point in
space. A grand piano, for instance, fills a whole room, a guitar a much
smaller envelope. The envelope around the actual instrument is the
"bloom". Too MUCH bloom is simply distortion. That is, a guitar is not
10 feet wide.

4. Fast
5. Slow

I've never actually heard these effects. Some people claim that some
systems react quickly to transients and some slowly, but I've never
heard it happen.

6. Relaxed
7. Tight
8. Loose

Thes appear to me to be more comments on the overall effect of the
system on the reviewer than the system itself. Tight and loose MAY
describe a speaker that's over or underdamped, but tight is usually used
in a positive sense and loose in a negative.

9. Air

Something like "bloom" but it's usually restricted to the higher
frequencies. If a boy's choir sounds like a boy's choir you have air. If
the higher frequences sound too damped you don't have air.

10. Sterile
11. Mechanical

Usually a tipped up frequency balance - too little bass and midrange,
too much treble. Lacking bloom :=)

12. Warm

A little mid-range emphasis.

13. Cold

A little too much mid-range de-emphasis.

14. Analytical

A little too much treble.

15. Laid-back

A little too little treble and perhaps a bit too mich mid-range.

Too much treble.

17. Digital grit

10 bit DAC. In the early days of digital using digital to analog
converters of insufficient resolution produced ugly recording. My
contention these days is most bad-sounding digital is the fault of poor
engineering of the ANALOG output of the circuit.

18. Involving and uninvolving

Well balanced and ill balanced, or liquid and discontinuous.

19. Clinical

See sterile.

20. Grain

Either too much treble or noticeable distortion.

21. Strident

Too much treble or noticeable distortion.

22. Forced

Too much treble or noticeable distortion.

Fell free to add more.

No, thanks.

-- Bob T.

S888Wheel

Bruce said

Be that as it may, it's also fairly apparent that the invented lingua franca
of audiophilia was created for the express purpose of obfuscation. There is
simply no other way to explain how the phrase "liquid midrange" came into
being when far more understandable terms that relate to the auditory
experience were readily available.

Just because someone is trying to be poetic does not mean they are trying to
obfuscate. How can you be sure that anybody who has used the term "liquid
midrange" did so for the purpose of obfuscation? I doubt very much that was
anybody's intention. You see this kind of broad accusation only acts to broaden
the divide between audiophiles. Do you really think that this claim will lead
anybody who uses or thinks they understand the use of this phrase to believe
they are intentionally obfuscating or do you think it will just cause them to
see you as less credible?

Bruce said

If we simply referred to sound in terms
of frequency and phase response we would have a much clearer understanding
of what things really sound like.

I doubt this very much. Nothing like talking about phase response to perk the
interest in potential audiophiles. As I said before, there is no prerequisite
for audiophiles to be engineers. No one is stopping you from using technical
terms to describe what you hear. If you wish to limit your casual conversations
about audio to the technically savvy. This would probably work fine, I guess.

Bruce said

If, for example, a pair of speakers were
said to sound a bit tipped up in the 10-12kHz region, we would soon come to
understand what that sounds like in real terms.

Talking about such things per se won't help understanding IMO. You need to
experience the phenomenon being described as well to gain understanding. But
this will work with colorful language as well.

Bruce said

The creation of the language of "Audio-obfuscation", however, greatly
enabled the sales and marketing departments of manufacturers and publishers
to concoct all manner of fanciful stories based on that language.

Can you actually prove this claim? It seems like highly biased speculation to
me.

In
retrospect, that language may have been Harry Pearson and Gordon Holt's
single greatest gift to the high end industry. Just think how many amps
would have been described to have sounded the same if the term "liquid
midrange" would have never been invented.

Yeah that would include all those early SS amps that J Gordon Holt, against
popular belief at the time, busted for being the awful sounding amps that they
were. He did audiophiles quite a disservice there.

Nousaine

(S888Wheel) wrote:

Tom said

Even that doesn't work. None of those descriptions have a basis in sound.
They
all describe some other sense, some physical attribute other than acoustical
sound or some psychological human aspect.

"Bright" is different in what way? Is "bright" acceptable or unacceptable
descriptive language? If it is acceptable then your objection to descriptive
words that have no basis in sound simply does not hold water.

It's a visual term applied to acoustics and it doesn't fit without an
accompanying description:

Does it mean:

Excessive shelved upper octaves output?

A peak somewhere that exaggerates sibilance or cymbals?

A upward tilted bass to treble balance?

What?

Tom said

There's nothing wrong with metaphor but those terms have no meaning other
than
to the individual using them because they do not describe any aspects of
sound
either physically or psychoacoustically.

Metaphors are inherently imprecise. But once again, someone claims that they
are meaningless. That is just nonsense.

As used in audio description they often have little usefulness being too
general, often related to a whole whole set of possible causes, but more often
than not .....exist only in the imagination of the describee.

There is a lot of room between
universal understanding and zero understanding. Metaphors are a common means
of
communication for many people in audio and beyond audio. Your objections will
not change that fact. Criticism of people for using them will more likely
lead
to alienation rather than better communication.

I'm not objecting to the use of metaphor; I just want to add some meaning.

Tom said

My solution is to drop the word audiophile from my resume.

I never saw any point in listing my hobbies on my resume.

That was a figurative point. But in this arena you describe yourself as such
...do you not?

Tom said

In today's world an
"audiophile" who spends more time talking about his system than listening to
it
and spends large amounts of time on "tweaks" that have no acoustic effect and
then a large amount of time convincing himself that they do.

Thank goodness your world doesn't include stereotyping. Does this mean I have
to listen less and talk more about audio to meet your definition or am I
simply
not allowed to call myself an audiophile? The only other alternative I see is
to claim your painting of audiophiles simply has no global truth to it.

I think the shoe fits in your case. Other wise you might be testing some of
your beliefs that do not align with what we know about acoustical delivery of
modern audio systems.

Tom said

There's no basic understanding at any level. They're just code words for
placebo.

Yet another claim that metaphors in audio are meaningless. I guess those who
think they understand each other when they use figurative speech are just
fooling themselves.

I have no problem with metaphor. It's very useful, but in audio many people use
it in a mostly poetic sense ... as opposed to describing any true acoustic
perception ....relating it to other physical properties or psychology without a
direct route to psychoacoustical or physical effect.

Like the term "fast." It has no acoustic referent. What is "fast" bass?

Is it:

lack of low bass?
lack of mid-bass?
lack of upper bass?
better bass transient response?

You tell me .... the systems I seen that have bass described as "fast" were
universally systems that lacked low frequency extension or had an upward tilted
bass to treble balance.

There was nothing 'fast' about any of it; unless not having fundamentals on
organ recordings or synth was what you liked about fast-bass.

In truth low frequencies have basically "slow" timbre in nature (examine 10,000
Hz and how many cycles a diaphram must cycle in a second compared to 20 Hz
where the diaphram needs only to complete 20 trips in the same second where a
tweeter must do 10,000.)

And this leads to gross errors in "descriptive terminology" with audiophile
terms. For example it's often said that cone woofers are "too slow" to keep up
with "fast" planar speakers.

What actually happens acoustically is that the planar speakers have limited low
frequency capability ("really fast") and near the crossover point they are
dynamically "too slow" to keep up with the subwoofer.

So "audiophiles" may reject subwoofers that are dynamically fast-as-hell
because they overpower the planars near the crossover. The better solution is
to take all the factors into account and balance the crossover points (you can
stagger them to match, example a 60 Hx XO for the sub and 100 Hz for the
planars) and carefully match levels.

But IF the original description had described the actual acoustical problem
more directly (instead of -"-subwoofer too slow" --- had the problem been
described as "the system has midbass compression where organs sound fine but
acoustic bass and male vocals tend to be overemphasized") than solutions would
be "faster" and easier.

Chris Johnson

In article cnfwb.220300$ao4.791136@attbi_s51,
Bruce Abrams wrote:
Be that as it may, it's also fairly apparent that the invented lingua franca
of audiophilia was created for the express purpose of obfuscation. There is
simply no other way to explain how the phrase "liquid midrange" came into
being when far more understandable terms that relate to the auditory
experience were readily available. If we simply referred to sound in terms
of frequency and phase response we would have a much clearer understanding
of what things really sound like. If, for example, a pair of speakers were
said to sound a bit tipped up in the 10-12kHz region, we would soon come to
understand what that sounds like in real terms.

I thought I had made it pretty clear that 'liquid', 'bloom' and their
ilk are emphatically resolution domain phenomena. You cannot speak
sensibly about this in terms of alterations of frequency response. I
could very easily make test files which had no alteration of frequency
response and deteriorated 'liquidness' severely: just make an 8 bit
version, or perhaps 12.

This is why terms like that were invented: people weren't talking
about the aspects of sound that some listeners cared about. Even the
most ill-designed early CD players did very well on frequency response.
That's not the whole picture.

Chris Johnson
S888Wheel

This idea is a stereotype. The "objectivists" have conducted ALL the research
on psychacoustics and perecption that has ever been done.

Really? I thought "objectivists" as used in audio was a subset of audiophiles
with a particular philosophy. All scientific psychoacoustic research has been
done by this subset of audiophiles? I doubt it. It looks like another attempt
to co-opt science to me.

Bruce said

[...]

I agree. Maybe the most constructive thing we could do is cite specific
experiences with sound reproduction that others can recreate somehow or another
and we can corollate both technical and figurative descriptions to forge more
common ground for communication.

Nousaine

Robert Trosper wrote:

At the risk of actually answering a question asked in this newsgroup,
I'm going to give it a whack.

It seems to me by comparing Mr Trosper's post and Mr Johnson's post that there
is no univeral understanding of any of these audiophile terms. Mr Johnson was
"guessing" at some of them and Mr Trosper assigns the same definition to
several of them. And each 'tries' to assign an acoustic or other audio cause to
the term, which is good, but why not just cut to the chase?

chung wrote:

Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

1. Dark

Overemphasis in the lower frequencies

Wouldn'y it be easier and more clear to just say "Overemphasis........."?

2. Liquid

Very like real music in that is easy to focus on the music rather than
the sound. The opposite is "discontinuous" where it's much easier to
focus on the things reproducing the music rather than the music itself.
That is, each element of reproduction instead of forming part of a
smoothly flowing liquid "whole" is quite obviously a piece of a patched
together quilt.

This is even more vague than "liquid."

3. Bloom

Real instruments produce sound that isn't just restricted to a point in
space. A grand piano, for instance, fills a whole room, a guitar a much
smaller envelope. The envelope around the actual instrument is the
"bloom". Too MUCH bloom is simply distortion. That is, a guitar is not
10 feet wide.

While well-intentioned just describing the soundstage as applarently having
10-foot acoustci guitars is much more descriptive.

4. Fast
5. Slow

I've never actually heard these effects. Some people claim that some
systems react quickly to transients and some slowly, but I've never
heard it happen.

Me either. But, aren't all these terms supposed to be universally understood?

6. Relaxed
7. Tight
8. Loose

Thes appear to me to be more comments on the overall effect of the
system on the reviewer than the system itself. Tight and loose MAY
describe a speaker that's over or underdamped, but tight is usually used
in a positive sense and loose in a negative.

I agree this term "MAY" mean a lot of things but there's no universal or even
common meaning.

9. Air

Something like "bloom" but it's usually restricted to the higher
frequencies. If a boy's choir sounds like a boy's choir you have air. If
the higher frequences sound too damped you don't have air.

So "air" is high frequency "bloom"? I also wondering how you "damp" high
frequencies?

Anyway I'm going to stop commenting here and end by saying that this vocalulary
generally has no specific generally understood meaning and each could mean anyn
number of things. Therefore when one uses any of these terms they should supply
a definition with it. Or just skip the term and give the definition.

[...]

ludovic mirabel

chung wrote in message ...

Of course I am serious, although that does not mean that one cannot have
fun with some of these... I am curious if people actually have some
common understanding of these terms, and I also want to know what some
of these mean.

At least you try to explain it in engineering terms, so there is some
link to measurements. That is good.

Mr.Chung continues targetting the loose language of the reviewers. He
prints a glossary of their terms which I understand he finds
funny/offensive.
I asked before how *he* would describe the differences between sounds
coming (reproduced, produced- whatever acceptable to our own local
lexicographers) from various makes of amplifiers, cd players etc.
In case he did not believe in such differences I quoted the example of
pianists, violinists and so on who manifestly do believe that their
personal choices sound different.
He responded thus: "Once again, Mr Mirabel is confused, and could not
separate a musical instrument from a piece of electronic gear".
("WSJT article..." Nov 20)
Of course I'm confused. And it is getting worse. If I've been told
once I've been told a hundred times by engineer-specialists like
yourself that you have a "controlled test" for comparing SOUNDS coming
from different electronic components. However and whatever makes
those sounds ; a combination of tubes, caps and resistors or a paper
cone with a coil or whatever. Sound is sound, right?
Now let's be clear. I am not asking for description HOW the pianos or
violins or clarinets or amplifiers make their sounds. Fascinating as
the physics would be they probably would be over my poor head anyway.
I am asking simply
1) whether you agree with the pianists, violinists, clarinetists and
percussionists that different makes of their instruments sound
differently and
2) -if you do so agree- describe the differences between the SOUNDS
produced by say a Bluethner, a Steinway and a Yamaha in a language
that you would find acceptable and that we could make head or tail
of.. Just write a brief review for us. As you said to Mr. SSWheel:
"Can you tell me what they sound like?" (WSJT..., 20th. Nov.)
You don't like musical instruments?: then do the same for two
different makes of full range speakers- say a Sound Lab ELS and a B&W
804. Or a good moving magnet and a moving coil cartridge. Something
that would convey your meaning to a simple audio consumer like myself.
Not just measurements. Something beyond "I like this one better".
Something that a hi-fi mag. would print and pay you for.
You would not want to give the impression that you're using the
favourite RAHE debating ploy: grab onto a verbal, hairsplitting,
cheese-paring quibble and run with it for dear life. Like musical
instruments vs. electronic gear- obviously some similarities and some
differences but the differences irrelevant for the purpose of this
discussion- in other words just a quibble.
Or could it be- perish the thought- that there is something
about art discourse that is not in the textbooks?
Ludovic Mirabel

Chris Johnson wrote:

In article , chung
wrote:
Here are some words commonly used in high-end reviews, and perhaps we
should discuss what they really mean in the context of audio, and put
that in some FAQ, somewhe

Are you serious, or simply mocking the tendency to use flowery
language? If you are serious I can at least offer MY understanding of
what these mean, for good or ill. At least most of them...

Bruce Abrams

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message
Bruce Abrams wrote:

*snip*
Be that as it may, it's also fairly apparent that the invented lingua

franca
of audiophilia was created for the express purpose of obfuscation.

I disagree. Impugning the motives of audio reviewers because of an
anti-subjectivist view of audio equipment adn desire to rely solely on
measurements just won't fly absent empirical evidence to support

accusations of
obfuscation.

Several points here. First of all, I am suggesting neither an
anti-subjectivist view nor the notion that we rely solely on measurements.
I'm simply suggesting that if the desire of the audio press was to provide
truly meaningful reviews, they could have come with a far more precise
language to do so. If, for example, such items as the known frequencies of
certain sounds were published (such as a kick drum, a crash cymbal, organ
pedal notes in opening of the second movement of Saint Saens organ symphony,
etc.), reference could be made to the relative levels of those sounds over
several systems and over time, a far more accurate vocabularly could be
developed.

While one can admittedly select partrcular idiosyncratic phrases
(e.g. liquid midrange) to try and push a generalized accusation (i.e.
obfuscation), I could just as easily advance the argument that the

"motives" of
the reviewers are to use a vocabulary which they may feel their
non-measurement-oriented readers can understand.

I dare you to select any of the original vocabularly list and explain which
of those phrases are any less idiosyncratic than "liquid midrange."

Granted, there is always room
for disagreement in the interpretation of what a particular audio term

means
whenever *anything* other than a measurement per se is specified. However,
this then begs the question of why listen at all if you wish to dismiss

and
minimize the role of human perceptual differences and preferences?

This isn't the intent at all. We could disagree all day long over the
"grain-free nature of the high frequencies" of a given speaker and have
absolutely no idea what we're really arguing over. If, on the other hand,
by reference to a known sound I can state that one speaker sounds a bit
tipped up over 5kHz and that such peak is manifest by a certain sound when
reproducing Ella's voice that isn't present on another speaker, I have now
established a point over which we can have meaningful discussion. I'm not
interested in dismissing perception, I just want to be certain that I
understand what some else's perception is.

*snip*

[...]

Why not just make the references in reviews to those identified components
and eliminate the obfuscating language entirely?

While it is very facile to be dismissive of all subjective audio reviewers
because they don't adhere strictly to measurements and nothing else in
evaluating products, I think you're overlooking the fact that some

magazines,
e.g. Stereophile, *do* routinely include response curves and other

measurement
statistics fot the products they review.

I hope I've allayed everyone's fears that I'm not interested in adhering
strictly to measurements.
*snip*
Bruce Abrams

"S888Wheel" wrote in message
Bruce said

Be that as it may, it's also fairly apparent that the invented lingua

franca
of audiophilia was created for the express purpose of obfuscation. There

is
simply no other way to explain how the phrase "liquid midrange" came into
being when far more understandable terms that relate to the auditory
experience were readily available.

Just because someone is trying to be poetic does not mean they are trying

obfuscate. How can you be sure that anybody who has used the term "liquid
midrange" did so for the purpose of obfuscation?

I never said that anyone USING the term "liquid midrange" was trying to
obfuscate. I said that it's quite likely, imo, that those who CREATED such
terms did so in an effort to create an industry that was dependent on such
confusing language.

*snip*
Bruce said

If we simply referred to sound in terms
of frequency and phase response we would have a much clearer understanding
of what things really sound like.

I doubt this very much. Nothing like talking about phase response to perk

the
interest in potential audiophiles. As I said before, there is no

prerequisite
for audiophiles to be engineers.

If the originators of these terms would have described sounds with regard to
sonic references and perhaps even to have explained those sonic references
in everyday language, nobody would have found them overly technical and we
would have a much less murky lingua franca in which to hide snake oil
products.

*snip*

Talking about such things per se won't help understanding IMO. You need to
experience the phenomenon being described as well to gain understanding.

But
this will work with colorful language as well.

The problem with colorful language is that we might never know what we each
mean by liquid midrange.

Bruce said

The creation of the language of "Audio-obfuscation", however, greatly
enabled the sales and marketing departments of manufacturers and

publishers
to concoct all manner of fanciful stories based on that language.

Can you actually prove this claim? It seems like highly biased speculation

me.

Really? Let's see. Transparent Cables website talks about "thrilling
levels of performance in low level information retrieval". Which sonically
meaningful term do you think they're referring to? If the original language
would have described and referred to the noise floor, I could try to
understand "low level information" in those terms. But of course, that
would be measurable and probably, in fact, immeasurable and inaudible. But
call it "low level information" and we can discuss it all day even though in
the case of a cable, it probably doesn't exist.

Wireworld's web site talks about "breathtaking resolution, dynamic contrast
and holographic imaging".

How would such products would have been marketed absent a largely
meaningless sonic vocabulary? They would have been forced to use actual
understandable audible sonic references and they couldn't have been sold
using such a vocabularly. Want proof? Before the invention of that
vocabulary such products weren't sold. Not funky cables, not magic bricks,
not magic dots. Those products were brought into existence by the invention
of a new language.

In
retrospect, that language may have been Harry Pearson and Gordon Holt's
single greatest gift to the high end industry. Just think how many amps
would have been described to have sounded the same if the term "liquid
midrange" would have never been invented.

Yeah that would include all those early SS amps that J Gordon Holt,

against
popular belief at the time, busted for being the awful sounding amps that

they
were. He did audiophiles quite a disservice there.

You presuppose that those early SS amps could only have been described as
bad sounding using a made up vocabulary. I disagree.

chung

Chris Johnson wrote:
In article ,
(Nousaine) wrote:
(S888Wheel) wrote:
"Bright" is different in what way? Is "bright" acceptable or unacceptable
descriptive language? If it is acceptable then your objection to descriptive
words that have no basis in sound simply does not hold water.

It's a visual term applied to acoustics and it doesn't fit without an
accompanying description:
Does it mean:
Excessive shelved upper octaves output?
A peak somewhere that exaggerates sibilance or cymbals?
A upward tilted bass to treble balance?
What?

Come on, that's by far the easiest one. It's a synesthetic
description,

What is a synthetic description? You mean an articifial one?

and ANY of your examples could accomplish it, but
particularly the first two. If you goose 16K and up and swamp the
listener with high frequency information, the effect produced on the ear
is strikingly similar to 'glare' on the eyes from intense, bright light.

I disagree, because very few recordings have 16K and above information,
so goosing just that band by a few dB is not what is commonly meant by
bright.

There's a similar fatiguing quality, a similar ability to pick out the
tiniest details of information. It's an understandable metaphor because
it's backed up by a great deal of common experience.

The problem is we all have different common experiences. While you think
goosing things above 16KHz leads to brightness, I would say that
elevated upper midrange (around 2KHz) and treble leads to brightness.
The first description given by Tom is what I would accept, since the
second one is a peak, and we would need to argue the size and width of
the peak. The third description could work also I guess, but it seems
too general. In fact, even the first one (excessive shelved upper
octaves output) is ambiguous, since what do we mean by upper octaves?

And bright is probably the most universally agreed descriptor. Now try
"liquid" .

How does a cable manage to sound bright?

Chris Johnson

Bruce Abrams

Bruce Abrams wrote:
[...]

The point is that we really don't know what these words mean. Your
understanding of 'bloom' is actually quite different from the way I've heard
it described many times by many different audiophiles. I understood it to
mean almost an aura of sound and decay surrounding acoustic instruments. In
these terms it is often used to describe the "midrange magic" of tube
equipment and is most often the result of second order harmonic distortion.

This is why terms like that were invented: people weren't talking
about the aspects of sound that some listeners cared about. Even the
most ill-designed early CD players did very well on frequency response.
That's not the whole picture.

Of course it's not, but the job of a well intentioned journalist to make us
understand the whole picture without resorting to self-defining, invented
terms.
Bruce Abrams

"ludovic mirabel" wrote in message
*snip*
Now let's be clear. I am not asking for description HOW the pianos or
violins or clarinets or amplifiers make their sounds. Fascinating as
the physics would be they probably would be over my poor head anyway.
I am asking simply
1) whether you agree with the pianists, violinists, clarinetists and
percussionists that different makes of their instruments sound
differently and
2) -if you do so agree- describe the differences between the SOUNDS
produced by say a Bluethner, a Steinway and a Yamaha in a language
that you would find acceptable and that we could make head or tail
of.. Just write a brief review for us.

*snip*

A very concise description of the difference in sound between a Steinway
(that I played last night) and a Bosendorfer I played today: The Steinway
displayed a far more complex series of more prominent overtones than did the
Bosendorfer, while the Bosy had a longer and more even decay. This could
have been described as a clearer and more fundamental sound in the
Bosendorfer, or as a less focused, diffuse and richer sound of the Steinway.
The Steinway sounded bigger, while the Bosy posessed more of a sparkle and a
cleaner bass.

None of the descriptors I could come up with, however, convey as accurate a
sense of the sonic difference as the true description regarding the voicing
of overtones. Does everyone know what I would mean in such a "technical"
description? Probably not, but they would if I explained it, and I wouldn't
have to resort to such terms as previously listed in our glossary.

chung

chung wrote:

Chris Johnson wrote:

Come on, that's by far the easiest one. It's a synesthetic
description,

What is a synthetic description? You mean an articifial one?

I guess one typo deserves another . "Artificial" is what I meant.

chung

Bruce Abrams wrote:

I hope I've allayed everyone's fears that I'm not interested in adhering
strictly to measurements.
*snip*

Ideally, I would like to see a reviewer's subjective comments
accompanied or backed by measurements. So if he says that speaker A
sounds bright compared to B, and the measurements show that there is
indeed a higher response from speaker A above, say 1KHz, then there is
not much confusion. I think "Audio" used to do that.

The problem, of course, is that reviewers use these adjectives without
any measurement checks, so you have no process by which you can transfer
the descriptions to what you may experience yourself. What is the
likelihood that if they say a cable sounds liquid, you would agree that
it is indeed liquid?

I can also see the position these reviewer are in. They have been
describing interconnects using words like "bright". They would look kind
of foolish if those reviews were accompanied by measurements that showed
all the cables have the same frequency response .

S888Wheel

Tom said

This idea is a stereotype. The "objectivists" have conducted ALL the research
on psychacoustics and perception that has ever been done.

I said

Really? I thought "objectivists" as used in audio was a subset of audiophiles
with a particular philosophy. All scientific psychoacoustic research has been
done by this subset of audiophiles? I doubt it. It looks like another attempt
to co-opt science to me.

Tom said

That's how you define it.

I don't think I am alone in that regard.

Tom said

I've never met a single "subjectivist" who has worked
at Bell Labs or conducted serious research on audibility at any level.

I never met one that was an objectivist audiophile. Go figure.

Tom said

Your point is fair enough if taken at high enough level but even at the
hobbyist level subejctivists simply do not conduct even modest bias control
techniques.

I don't know how you can make such a broad claim as fact. Do you know who every
subjectivist in the world is and how they attempt to control biases in their
auditions of equipment? I thought Stewart considered himself to be a
subjectivist. Modest bias control techniques does not make for valid science.
It is simply a different ball game and cannot be put in the same category as
the published psychoacoustic research done by scientists. By the way, did I
mention that I exercise modest bias controls much of the time when making
comparisons?

Tom said

And they continually ignore non-confirming experience. Who, among us, hasn't
ever had an experience where a given effect was "heard" when the switch was in
the wrong position.

:::Raises hand from the back of the classroom::: Me. I haven't. OTOH there have
been a few occasions when an expected difference failed to manifest itself only
to find the proverbial switch being in the wrong position. IOW When I have
caught this sort of mistake I didn't hear what I expected to hear under the
assumption that no such mistake had been made.

Tom said

No matter how hard it is argued I cannot point to an existing subjectivist that
has contributed a lasting confirmed improvement to audio quality. Of course,
many of them have contributed to marketing and merchandising of high-end
products.

You are entitled to your opinions. I can point to several that have clearly
contributed to improvements in the sound quality of my playback. I see no point
in claiming my experiences are universal. I don't know how one would call a
perceived improvement in sound as being "confirmed."But I would challenge you
to find any objectivist who has done a better job of designing turntables, arms
and cartridges than the best efforts of subjectivists. I would also challenge
you to find better mastering efforts from any self-proclaimed objectivist in
comparison to that of the top subjectivist mastering engineers. The efforts of
such people do profoundly contribute to improvements in audio quality.

Tom said

The largest example is high-end wire. A small industry developed to sell
accessory that has never been shown to actually change, let alone improve,
sound quality.

OTOH we could also talk about speaker designers.

S888Wheel

Bruce said

[...]

OK so you are limiting your claim to originators of such terms. I stand
corrected on who your claim specifically applies to. I still say you have no
grounds for the claim unless you can prove intent.

Bruce said

If we simply referred to sound in terms
of frequency and phase response we would have a much clearer understanding
of what things really sound like.

I said

I doubt this very much. Nothing like talking about phase response to perk

the
interest in potential audiophiles. As I said before, there is no

prerequisite
for audiophiles to be engineers.

Bruce said

If the originators of these terms would have described sounds with regard to
sonic references and perhaps even to have explained those sonic references
in everyday language, nobody would have found them overly technical and we
would have a much less murky lingua franca in which to hide snake oil
products.

Sonic references? You mean like loud and quite and high pitched and low pitched
and the like? I don't how you can be sure that would have lead to better
understanding for everybody. I don't buy this notion that figurative speech is
a vehicle for the promotion of snake oil. It seems to me snake oil is better
disguised in technobabble.

I said

Talking about such things per se won't help understanding IMO. You need to
experience the phenomenon being described as well to gain understanding.

But
this will work with colorful language as well.

Bruce said

The problem with colorful language is that we might never know what we each
mean by liquid midrange.

That is a problem with figurative language. It is a problem that artists and
enthusiasts have lived with for ages. You do understand the reason why
figurative and colorful language is often chosen don't you?

Bruce said

The creation of the language of "Audio-obfuscation", however, greatly
enabled the sales and marketing departments of manufacturers and

publishers
to concoct all manner of fanciful stories based on that language.

I said

Can you actually prove this claim? It seems like highly biased speculation

me.

Bruce said

Really? Let's see. Transparent Cables website talks about "thrilling
levels of performance in low level information retrieval". Which sonically
meaningful term do you think they're referring to?

"Low level information" is not a meaningful sonic term? Isn't that what
dithering addressed in digital recording? Thrilling levels is an obvious
reference to a predicted reaction. It is not a reference to sound at all. If
this same claim were applied to the use of dither would it not make complete
sense?

Bruce said

If the original language
would have described and referred to the noise floor, I could try to
understand "low level information" in those terms.

Hmm. I'm no expert on digital but I was under the impression that dither does
not lower the noise floor but it does increase the low level information
content.. I think you may be making some narrow presumptions in your critique
of the use of language here. Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me that "low
level information" is an accepted term that does not explicitly require a
reference to the noise floor in all cases to have meaning.

Bruce said

But of course, that
would be measurable and probably, in fact, immeasurable and inaudible. But
call it "low level information" and we can discuss it all day even though in
the case of a cable, it probably doesn't exist.

It seems more and more apparent to me as figurative language is discussed on
these threads that perhaps the real issue is claims of audibility of things
some people believe are not audible. It looks like figurative language has been
a magnet for scorn because it is used more frequently and liberally by those
who are perceived to be clearly wrong in their basic beliefs on audio.

Bruce said

Wireworld's web site talks about "breathtaking resolution, dynamic contrast
and holographic imaging".

How would such products would have been marketed absent a largely
meaningless sonic vocabulary? They would have been forced to use actual
understandable audible sonic references and they couldn't have been sold
using such a vocabulary.

Once again it seems the heart of your objection lies in the implied claim that
a product you believe makes no sonic difference makes a sonic improvement.
Would you object to a speaker manufacturer making claims of "breathtaking
resolution?" Isn't resolution a legitimate term in audio? Is resolution
meaningless in audio?

Bruce said

Want proof? Before the invention of that
vocabulary such products weren't sold. Not funky cables, not magic bricks,
not magic dots. Those products were brought into existence by the invention
of a new language.

Yes, I want proof. I don't think a vague inference to some timeline is proof of
anything. Audiophilia predates Stereophile. Magic dots came long after
Stereophile. If you can't corollate obvious cause and affect with major changes
in products on the market with the language of the time you cannot claim proof.

Chris Johnson

In article ,
Bruce Abrams wrote:
Several points here. First of all, I am suggesting neither an
anti-subjectivist view nor the notion that we rely solely on measurements.
I'm simply suggesting that if the desire of the audio press was to provide
truly meaningful reviews, they could have come with a far more precise
language to do so. If, for example, such items as the known frequencies of
certain sounds were published (such as a kick drum, a crash cymbal, organ
pedal notes in opening of the second movement of Saint Saens organ symphony,
etc.), reference could be made to the relative levels of those sounds over
several systems and over time, a far more accurate vocabularly could be
developed.

Are you serious?

Let's discuss the mechanical behavior of your very first example, the
kick drum. In fact, let's leave aside everything about the size of the
shell, the material with which it is constructed, the type of drum head
(very significant) and assume a simple single-headed drum varying only
the tensioning of the head.

If you tension the head rather tight, you get a strong fundamental
note and clearly defined resonances in the manner of a vibrating
diaphragm, like a duller tympani. ('duller' unless your drum shell is in
fact also metal, in which case you might have more pronounced overtones.

As you lower the tension and the drum head comes down to the
fundamental resonance of the shell, the sound is often described as
'round', which is a matter of resonances reinforcing each other-
striking the head produces energy that goes directly into these
resonances, where the tighter head excited a broader range of
resonances. This difference is NOT simply a matter of turning up, or
down, the 'overtones'. The higher tension drum will sustain overtones
for longer, relative to the fundamental. Snare heads are sometimes
cranked to what's called 'plywood tight', which chokes out the
fundamental with sheer tension and leaves mostly overtones to resonate.

As you lower your bass drum's tension further, what happens is the
overtones are no longer able to sustain at all- when you hit the drum
hard, the drumhead snaps forward and almost immediately loses its
resonant energy. Instead of sustaining, the overtones are dissipated in
a single snap of the drumhead membrane. The term used to describe this
effect is 'papery', and it's used by heavy metal drummers to produce a
bass drum sound with a powerful high-frequency crack accentuating the
attack. The reason it's called 'papery' is because the drumhead, a mylar
membrane, begins to sound strikingly like you're hitting the center of a
piece of paper rather than a drum. This is professional drum tuning 101
here...

That sound only develops at such low tension that the membrane cannot
sustain high-frequency vibration. It's a physical alteration of the way
the drumhead's decay behaves. You can take a very high tension bassdrum
(such as what's called a 'gong drum', designed to mimick a tympani) and
a very low tension bass drum, and EQ them to produce precisely the same
frequency envelope, and EVEN doctor the sounds digitally to sustain
exactly the same amount (perhaps cutting off the sustain of the high
tension one and extending the sustain of the low tension one- this can
be done) and your two sounds will STILL be as different as chalk and
cheese to the most untutored listener.

If you're not going to call the tympani-like one 'chimey' or
'ringing' and the loosened one 'papery', how do you propose to describe
this extraordinarily obvious difference?

And that's only your first example, which happened to be ideally
suited for explaining this. With crash cymbals, you'll have a much more
interesting time describing the difference between a vintage Zildjian
thin crash and a ZBT stamped out of sheet bronze and sold to school kids
as a crash, but it will be every bit as obvious.

Chris Johnson

Robert Trosper

Nousaine wrote:

Robert Trosper wrote:

At the risk of actually answering a question asked in this newsgroup,
I'm going to give it a whack.

It seems to me by comparing Mr Trosper's post and Mr Johnson's post that there
is no univeral understanding of any of these audiophile terms. Mr Johnson was
"guessing" at some of them and Mr Trosper assigns the same definition to
several of them. And each 'tries' to assign an acoustic or other audio cause to
the term, which is good, but why not just cut to the chase?

Mr. Nousaine's comparison seems to have been pretty superficial. I'm a
bit surprised by the differences on "Warm" and "Cold" but there's a lot
of overlap on many of the terms, and a good bit of overlap where neither
one of us thought they had much utility. That's a far cry from
dismissing the whole vocabulary as useless.

Consider, for instance, whether it's a more useful review to say "There
was an uptilt of 1/2 dB from X to Y frequencies" or to say, "The system
sounded a little too bright on all my reference recordings (list
attached)". I can, at least, acquire one or more of the recordings and
use it for audition material in showrooms. I can't very well run around
with a calibrated microphone and a spectrum analyzer and go, "AHA!
There's an uptilt of 1/2 a dB from X to Y!"

-- Bob T.