Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] veg_all@yahoo.com is offline

Default Analog / Vinyl audio in past 10 years?

I used to follow this ng religiously in 1997, but stopped for ten
years due to other interests. I am curious if the status of vinyl/
analog has decreased or increased since 1997? There was a small
renaiscance in the late 1990's with several companys producing
remastered vinyl discs. Is this all dead or still alive?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ups.com

I used to follow this ng religiously in 1997, but stopped
for ten years due to other interests. I am curious if the
status of vinyl/ analog has decreased or increased since
1997? There was a small renaiscance in the late 1990's
with several companys producing remastered vinyl discs.
Is this all dead or still alive?

Vinyl was pretty strong up until a few years ago, bouyed by an odd
combination of dance music DJs and sentimental audiophiles. Vinyl was
attractive to the DJs because it enabled scratching, a process that plays
LPs by means of hand movements instead of normal steady rotation and groove
tracking. Eventually, effective digital simulations of scratching became
popular, and the dance music market is now going away.

Vinyl media sales fell precipitously in the last half of 2006, and can be
expected to continue to drop.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com

I used to follow this ng religiously in 1997, but stopped
for ten years due to other interests. I am curious if the
status of vinyl/ analog has decreased or increased since
1997? There was a small renaiscance in the late 1990's
with several companys producing remastered vinyl discs.
Is this all dead or still alive?

Vinyl was pretty strong up until a few years ago, bouyed by an odd
combination of dance music DJs and sentimental audiophiles.

And people who really like how some of them sound.

Vinyl was
attractive to the DJs because it enabled scratching, a process that plays
LPs by means of hand movements instead of normal steady rotation and groove
tracking. Eventually, effective digital simulations of scratching became
popular, and the dance music market is now going away.

Vinyl media sales fell precipitously in the last half of 2006, and can be
expected to continue to drop.

As did and as can CD sales.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Bill Riel said:

As did and as can CD sales.

Yeah, I think that sales of all forms of physical media are going to
continue to suffer.

Krooger's kockeyed notion of his own self-worth is inextricably tied to
spouting off about the horrors of vinyl. Surely you don't suffer from
the same disease?

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bill Riel Bill Riel is offline

In article , George M.
Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast . net says...

Bill Riel said:

As did and as can CD sales.

Yeah, I think that sales of all forms of physical media are going to
continue to suffer.

Krooger's kockeyed notion of his own self-worth is inextricably tied to
spouting off about the horrors of vinyl. Surely you don't suffer from
the same disease?

Heh, actually I *love* vinyl! Every time I have a work trip to a new
town I check out local record shops and almost always return with
something interesting.

I certainly buy CDs too, but most of those I get on-line. I'm fortunate
to have several record stores in my home town which seem to get new
vinyl inventory on a regular basis. Global sales aside, vinyl appears to
be thriving locally.

--
Bill

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
eric eric is offline

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 06:49:25 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com

[quoted text muted]

Vinyl was pretty strong up until a few years ago, bouyed by an odd
combination of dance music DJs and sentimental audiophiles. Vinyl was
attractive to the DJs because it enabled scratching, a process that plays
LPs by means of hand movements instead of normal steady rotation and groove
tracking. Eventually, effective digital simulations of scratching became
popular, and the dance music market is now going away.

Vinyl media sales fell precipitously in the last half of 2006, and can be
expected to continue to drop.

Unfortunately it is being replaced by something even worse,
lossy over-compressed mp3's played through cheap earbuds.

Articles on Vinyl and analog sales figures in syndicated press Uptown Audio High End Audio 3 May 14th 05 05:44 PM
best of for past years news Car Audio 0 April 1st 05 06:38 AM
Vinyl today - analog or digital - does anyone know? PLM High End Audio 5 April 2nd 04 01:29 AM
Analog vs digital: 100-200 years from now... Mick Davies Pro Audio 95 October 27th 03 10:03 PM