GoobAudio

Default Repairing and SM-81--advice

The other day it cut out during a session and I changed the cord and it came
back up. Now it is dead. I use it on the hi-hat and occasionally on acoustic
guitar.I only have one.

Can anyone offer advice regarding getting it fixed vs perhaps for the same
amount get a better mic?

I tried to take a look at it only to conclude I have no idea how to get it
out of the case. I pulled the xlr/ferrite bead assembly out and loosened the
Philips screw holding the receptacle for the xlr/ferrite bead thingies but
obviously I do not know the trick. I am an electronic engineer, can solder
and have replaced microphone capsules.

Thanks in advance
Phil

Eric K. Weber

Default Repairing and SM-81--advice --- try the obvious....

Looks like a $55 or $85 problem..... the mic is certainly worth more than
that....

Why is the internet such a mystery to people on this list????

From the following web site....

http://www.shure.com/sales-service/s...licies_us.html

Within the United States, all service and repair issues for Shure products
are handled directly by Shure Incorporated at our facility in Evanston, IL.

Our shipping address:

Shure Incorporated
Attn: Service Department
222 Hartrey Avenue
Evanston, IL 60202-3696

When packaging your product to be repaired, please download, print, and
complete the
Repair Correspondence Form below:

repair_correspondence_form.pdf, Adobe Acrobat, File Size 21KB

Service Modifications

Shure's Service Department can modify Shure products to suit your specific
needs. Whether you need your wired microphone cable lengthened or your UHF
wireless system modified, Shure's Service Department is up to the task. For
more information, pricing, or any additional questions, please call the
Service Department toll free at 800-516-2525, or contact us by email at
.

Service Fees for Out of Warranty Shure Products

Effective February 2, 2003

Wired Microphones
$55.00

Studio Microphones
$85.00

PSM200, VHF, & UT
$65.00*

UHF, ULX, & UC
$85.00*

PSM400, 600 & 700
$85.00*

Manual Mixers & DSP
$85.00

Auto Mixers, FP33, P4800
$110.00

General Stylus
$20.00

VN-Series Stylus
$50.00

Primaudio

Looks like a $55 or $85 problem..... the mic is certainly worth more than
that....

Why is the internet such a mystery to people on this list????

Ditto, I'm an EE too, but if you don't have the tools and training for the job,
send it to someone who does. For example: the manufacturer. You will get
GUARANTEED results. Sometimes the easy path is the best.

phillip

p.s. before that though, really really make sure it isn't the cable. You
really need all three connections on both ends of the cable, since sheild is
the phantom power ground return.

pss. If you are still game to get it apart, it sounds like you have a
cold-solder joint on the ground of the output connector, pin 1, if the problem
is in the mic.

Monte P McGuire

In article . net,
GoobAudio wrote:
Push

....what was wrong with the other half dozen reponses last week?

Regards,

Monte McGuire