Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Pred02

Default DVD Player Recommendation: Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon, or other?

Hi,

We have been using the Sony DVP S7700 which we bought in 1999 as the
DVD player for our system. This fall we plan on upgrading to a
Panasonic 50' plasma screen. When we bought the S7700, it was one of
the reference players out there - indeed it was very good, much better
compared to the consumer-grade DVD panasonic player we first owned.
However, as S7700 does not have progressive output, and with plasma
HDTV-ready TV, I understanding we need progressive scan to get the
better picture quality. Thus, we are ready to upgrade when we buy the
TV.

Looking a bit on the net, we found a couple of models that would suit
our needs and budget. More specifically, the budget it around 500 USD,
maybe a little more.

In this price range, I first looked at the Sony ES line, more
specifically the follow up reference to what we currently own: Sony
DVP-NS999ES.

In the similar price range I saw the Yamaha DVD-S2500, and the Denon
DVD-2910B. The Denon DVD-2910 also hasa HDMI output, which I am not
sure if it makes any difference over composite video, but it also
claims to offer 720p and 1080i output. I know that the plasma screen
does offer this mode.

Given the price range and the choices, which DVD player would you
recommend? Our main concern is the picture quality, and secondly audio
quality (2-channel).

Kind regards,
george