Hans Kimm

Default Linux and PROFESSIONAL AUDIO?? "I have no professional training"

William Hung said it best.. I have no professional training.
And at least he was honest, unlike the assholes in the Linux world.
Using Linux for even semi-pro work is a sure path toward disaster.
I've tried Ardour and Jack and all the plugins (using Redhat) and quite
frankly they suck.
In fact Linux as a whole sucks.
I spent the better part of a week with a check for $400+ in front of me
wondering if I should spring for Samplitude 8.1.
Linux looked appealing, yet I felt the hairs on the back of my neck
stand up. IOW if it looks too good to be true.........

I first tried gentoo and failed completely at getting it installed.
Sorry, but I don't speak nerd. Kill me if you wish.
Then I scammed a couple of Redhat CD's from a friend and at least got
it installed.
I proceeded to try out Jack and ardour and it didn't take long, about
20 minutes, to conclude, the programs suck.
In fact Linux is so confusing I can't ever imagine anyone shelving
their Mac for this piece of trash.

Linux users, take a good look at an OSX Mac to see how Unix should be
done. Pay particular attention to the interface and how smooth and
intuitive it is. Then look at the help system and understand how
context sensetive help should be done.
Lastly take a look at support.
Look at Logic/Cubase/Protools etc and see how and what REAL
professional applications can do.

Now take a good look at your Linux junk and work 24x7 to make it
useable.
Hans

Noah Roberts

Hans Kimm wrote:

In fact Linux as a whole sucks.

Nah, that sound is just the hole in your head.
Peter

On 2 Jun 2005 20:15:25 -0700, "Hans Kimm" wrote:

In fact Linux as a whole sucks.
I spent the better part of a week with a check for $400+ in front of me
wondering if I should spring for Samplitude 8.1.
Linux looked appealing, yet I felt the hairs on the back of my neck
stand up. IOW if it looks too good to be true.........

Even ardent Linux fans will readily admit that Linux does not suit
some people who who feel more comfortable with M$, Mac's, SCO UNIX
etc. They do not mind, they just get on with life.

Linønut

Hans Kimm poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

William Hung said it best.. I have no professional training.
And at least he was honest, unlike the assholes in the Linux world.

*plonk*
Liam Slider

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:15:25 -0700, Hans Kimm wrote:

snip

So Flatfish, when are you going to get around to explaining how it is that
an app with no CD burning capability (Totem, a media player) crashes while
it burns coasters?

jtougas

On 2 Jun 2005 20:15:25 -0700, "Hans Kimm" wrote:

Linux users, take a good look at an OSX Mac to see how Unix should be
done. Pay particular attention to the interface and how smooth and
intuitive it is. Then look at the help system and understand how
context sensetive help should be done.
Lastly take a look at support.
Look at Logic/Cubase/Protools etc and see how and what REAL
professional applications can do.

I'm just gonna quietly point out that Apple bought Logic a year or two
ago... might have something to do with it's support of OSX... ;-)
jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings

Linux and audio pro perso Pro Audio 547 October 19th 05 03:20 PM
Linux Used In a Professional Setting. Here is an Example!!!!!!!!!!! Michael B. Levy Pro Audio 22 January 17th 05 12:06 AM
Why I dumped Linux and went back to Windows. Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 9 May 13th 04 11:24 PM
Using Notebook Computer as Car MP3 Player Jon Car Audio 44 February 27th 04 02:25 AM
AES Show Report (LONG!!!!) Mike Rivers Pro Audio 17 October 31st 03 02:57 PM