Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default alternative to condenser mic

Application - field recording in harsh environments. Someone once told
me about a more robust alternative to a condenser mic. I think he
called it an "fm mic" - not a wireless system - but one that used a
different sort of "phantom power" or way of delivering phantom - and
was much more resistant to humidity and other harsh environmental
conditions. Pretty sure it was a Sennheiser product. Ideas anyone?
Otherwise then I'd be looking for a dynamic mic that would be good
alternative to a condenser mic. Thanks. DannyD

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

Application - field recording in harsh environments. Someone once told
me about a more robust alternative to a condenser mic. I think he
called it an "fm mic" - not a wireless system - but one that used a
different sort of "phantom power" or way of delivering phantom - and
was much more resistant to humidity and other harsh environmental
conditions. Pretty sure it was a Sennheiser product. Ideas anyone?

** See:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...er_mkh-416p48u...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gunnar

I believe what you are thinking about is the MKH series from
Sennheiser. They are condenser microphones but use a little different
circuits from the standard types. The circuit is called RF for Radio
Frequency. The effect is that the mics becomes less sensitive to
moisture than normal condensor mics. The sound quality is good enough
for them to be a staple solution in all of the film industry. Put them
in a Rycote with a dead cat and they can withstand quite a bit of rain
and wind, enough to accompany film teams to even the most remote parts
of the world.

But they are still condensor mics. If you want to have something really
sturdy, look into dynamic mics. Just think of all the abuse a typical
song mic gets in a club setting, from falling down on the floor all the
time and beeing submerged in beer extracts coming out of singers mouths
-- dynamic mics are the choice.

There are of course many types of dynamic mics for different usage. Two
of my favourites a
- sennheiser MD21 - a really nice omni reporters mic. Built like a
tank, a bit on the expensive side. As a side note, the mics has been in
production for more than 50 years.
- Shure SM57 - cardioid, a standard choice in micing snare drums in
studios all over the world. It is built like tank as well. Can be had
rather low-priced. Not any flat frequency response but can create
surprisingly good recordings.

As always with dynamic mics the preamp has a rather larger influence
than what you are used to with condensor mics. A good quality preamp
will help. An added benefit is that dynamic mics does not need phantom
power.

By the way, what are you planning on recording? Might help in
suggesting mics.

Gunnar

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PhobikONE

SM57/58 - same mic, 58 just has the windscreen/pop filter

Great mics for, anything. I've seen the 57 used on snare's, hi toms,
used at over heads, and I've seen them used to rig a guitar amp.

Commonly use for live stage perfomances, the 58 comes into play (talk
about spittle!) simply because of the pop filter and being so rugged.
I've had one that dropped out a 2 story window directly onto concrete.

Dented the hell out of the pop filter, but the thing still worked like
it was brand new. Replacing the pop filter cost too much money, so I
sold the mic to a buddy who didn't care about it.

Condensers would be great for the video guys, but unless you're going
to get one like suggested, I wouldn't risk water (or sea air) exposure
to just any old condenser.

If you can't get the condenser or RF condenser, you might be better off
snagging the audio right from the performers mic.

Grab the crowd noise on another dynamic on an unused channel if you
can.

gunnar wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
Application - field recording in harsh environments. Someone once told
me about a more robust alternative to a condenser mic. I think he
called it an "fm mic" - not a wireless system - but one that used a
different sort of "phantom power" or way of delivering phantom - and
was much more resistant to humidity and other harsh environmental
conditions. Pretty sure it was a Sennheiser product. Ideas anyone?
Otherwise then I'd be looking for a dynamic mic that would be good
alternative to a condenser mic. Thanks. DannyD

Sennheiser MKH-20. It's a condenser, but with a different scheme to
get signal off the capsule rather than the impedance converter normal
condenser mikes use. Also be sure to bring an EV 635A along for when
all else fails.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geezer

SM 57/58 - same mic, both horrific pieces of crap which are close to
useless. OK, the 57 has a few redeeming applications, but the 58 is
totally without merit.

Blecchhh !

-glenn

PhobikONE wrote:
SM57/58 - same mic, 58 just has the windscreen/pop filter

Great mics for, anything. I've seen the 57 used on snare's, hi toms,
used at over heads, and I've seen them used to rig a guitar amp.

Commonly use for live stage perfomances, the 58 comes into play ...

SNIP

Blecchhh !!!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
Audio multitrack and video for a big band outdoors in the carribean in
July. Foul weather is likely. I had planned on using all dynamics -
basically all 57's and 58's - but wanted to just toss the question out
there for alternatives. The video people were keen on having a few
condensers just in case so I remembered these RF types and wanted to
fill out my knowledge of these. Thanks for your responses.

For big band stuff, I'd tend to rely a lot on an overall pair, but that
is just me. A pair of the MKH-series mikes as an overall pair, supplemented
by dynamic spot mikes (and I would strongly recommend going a step or two
up from the SM-57 if you can), might be a good choice.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"geezer" wrote...
WOW, what a ****ing blow to my self-esteem.

Do you mean publicly acknowledging and ever responding
to "Phil Allison"?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"Richard Crawly "

** A lower creature than any insect.

....... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr. Dolittle

geezer wrote:

Just to be clear, asswipe, are you specifically suggesting that I
should be shot? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Phil Allison wrote:

Geezer you are getting all worked up over a bot. And the program feeds
on that. You're being played by a computer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison

"Dr. Dolittle"

** This tenth-wit certainly like to talk to the animals.

Speaks Bovine, Swine and Hee Haw just perfectly

....... Phil