boydp

Default Neutrik TRS too wide!

Arrgh! I just finished making a pair of insert cables for my RNP and
it turns out the jacks are so crammed together on the back panel, I
cant even fit two Neutrik TRS connectors side by side...The exact same
thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with an AdrenaLinn.
Can anyone recommend a good 1/4" connector that is narrower than the
Neutrik? I guess I could use the old standard issue connectors, but
I've always liked the Neutriks...it could be purely psychological but
they just feel more substantial. I'm really surprised that this is
even an issue as these connectors are fairly standard issue. I'm all
for small packages, but come on!
Thanks,
Boyd Post
ScotFraser

I just finished making a pair of insert cables for my RNP and
it turns out the jacks are so crammed together on the back panel, I
cant even fit two Neutrik TRS connectors side by side...The exact same
thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with an AdrenaLinn.
Can anyone recommend a good 1/4" connector that is narrower than the
Neutrik?

The plain vanilla Switchcraft will work. As close as the females can physically
fit on a panel, the males can accomodate. Part number might be 250, IIRC.

Scott Fraser

Wayne

Arrgh! I just finished making a pair of insert cables for my RNP and
it turns out the jacks are so crammed together on the back panel, I
cant even fit two Neutrik TRS connectors side by side...The exact same
thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with an AdrenaLinn.
Can anyone recommend a good 1/4" connector that is narrower than the
Neutrik? I guess I could use the old standard issue connectors, but
I've always liked the Neutriks...it could be purely psychological but
they just feel more substantial. I'm really surprised that this is
even an issue as these connectors are fairly standard issue. I'm all
for small packages, but come on!
Thanks,
Boyd Post

Think Switchcraft and Markertek

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-

hank alrich

boydp wrote:

Arrgh! I just finished making a pair of insert cables for my RNP and
it turns out the jacks are so crammed together on the back panel, I
cant even fit two Neutrik TRS connectors side by side...The exact same
thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with an AdrenaLinn.
Can anyone recommend a good 1/4" connector that is narrower than the
Neutrik? I guess I could use the old standard issue connectors, but
I've always liked the Neutriks...it could be purely psychological but
they just feel more substantial. I'm really surprised that this is
even an issue as these connectors are fairly standard issue. I'm all
for small packages, but come on!

Get the Mil Spec Neutriks, NP3T series. Stronger than dirt, too.

--
ha

Richard Kuschel

Get the Mil Spec Neutriks, NP3T series. Stronger than dirt, too.

--
ha

Those are the ones that don't fit.

I love them too.

The Switchcraft 297 has been a regular staple of mine, but their prices are sky
high.
Richard H. Kuschel

hank alrich

Richard Kuschel wrote:

Those are the ones that don't fit.

You are thinking of the NPC series, which is far more common and has
that easy-to-grab bulged barrel; note the one letter difference; the NPT
series are as narrow as any 1/4" TRS made, straight-sided barrel and out
of machined stock. Really, and really tough. Pretty bitchin' lookin',
too, as if that matters.

--
ha

Richard Kuschel

Richard Kuschel wrote:

Those are the ones that don't fit.

You are thinking of the NPC series, which is far more common and has
that easy-to-grab bulged barrel; note the one letter difference; the NPT
series are as narrow as any 1/4" TRS made, straight-sided barrel and out
of machined stock. Really, and really tough. Pretty bitchin' lookin',
too, as if that matters.

--
ha

Thanks for that clarification, Hank.

I didn't know that Neutrik had a Mil Spec plug.

They do look nice

The cheap Neutrik TRS Chinese made plugs aren't all that great and I prefer the
Horizon Chinese plugs to them. The Switchcraft are sturdier, though about 2x
the price.

Richard H. Kuschel

Rob Reedijk

Richard Kuschel wrote:
Richard Kuschel wrote:
Those are the ones that don't fit.

You are thinking of the NPC series, which is far more common and has
that easy-to-grab bulged barrel; note the one letter difference; the NPT
series are as narrow as any 1/4" TRS made, straight-sided barrel and out
of machined stock. Really, and really tough. Pretty bitchin' lookin',
too, as if that matters.

I didn't know that Neutrik had a Mil Spec plug.

The cheap Neutrik TRS Chinese made plugs aren't all that great and I prefer the
Horizon Chinese plugs to them. The Switchcraft are sturdier, though about 2x
the price.

After my last bout with making snakes and wiring patchbays---I won't
ever use Neutrik TRS (or TS) male plugs again. While I like working
with the XLRs, I have a hard time with the phone plugs.

It's Switchcraft for me.

Rob R.

hank alrich

Rob Reedijk wrote:

After my last bout with making snakes and wiring patchbays---I won't
ever use Neutrik TRS (or TS) male plugs again. While I like working
with the XLRs, I have a hard time with the phone plugs.

Interesting. I appreciate them very well. I find them easy to deal with.
They've been very reliable for me.

It's Switchcraft for me.

Have they been redesigned? I only continue to use their mid-grade right
angle plug for instrument cables. Otherwise the strain relief of the
Neutrik wins me over.

--
ha

hank alrich

Michael wrote:

walkinay says...

It's Switchcraft for me.

Have they been redesigned? I only continue to use their mid-grade right
angle plug for instrument cables. Otherwise the strain relief of the
Neutrik wins me over.

I hope not. I've been using Switchcraft 280s and (I think) 290s
(TRS) for a long time. They work great and last forever. I do form
my own strain relief using heatshrink tubing, though.

I do that, too, regardless of a plug's built-in strain relief; I just no
longer appreciate the 280 et al the way I used to, and it's the Neutrik
strain reliever that has turned my mind. Combined with heatshrink good
relief is had. And no pliers needed to bend litle pieces of metal into
place.

--
ha

BrightBoy

I didn't know that Neutrik had a Mil Spec plug.

Their web site indicated that the mil spec plugs (NP3T, etc series) are
not compatible with standard 1/4" jacks....

Cheers,

Jeff

Scott Dorsey

BrightBoy wrote:
I didn't know that Neutrik had a Mil Spec plug.

Their web site indicated that the mil spec plugs (NP3T, etc series) are
not compatible with standard 1/4" jacks....

Those are long-frame plugs. I'd be suspicious if they actually met mil spec.
Long frame plugs cannot be plugged reliably into short-frame jacks.

Neutrik DOES have a narrow right-angle short-frame TRS plug, but it feels
kind of flimsy to me.

hank alrich

Mike Rivers wrote:

I don't know if the "Mil" series you're discussing is the long frame
style ("Mil" is one description of long frame jacks and plugs) but
that's an important compatibility difference.

Yes, it is the longframe style, but I have yet to have any trouble with
it interfacing well with standard 1/4" TRS jacks, excepting those in a
plug 'n' play patchbay I bought that doesn't like regular 1/4" plugs
either. (In the case of the bay, I didn't get what I didn't pay for.)

--
ha