John Noll

Default Old JBL Crossover capacitorhelp needed

I have acquired a pair of very large JBL speakers that I'm hoping to use
as playback monitors in my tracking room. They have a folded horn type
of design with a 15" woofer and a bullet tweeter. There is no model
number to be found anywhere. The finish is walnut veneer.

One speaker works fine, but the other has a problem in the crossover and
no signal is reaching the tweeter. I pulled the tweeter and checked it
by bypassing the crossover and it works fine. There is a box on the rear
with a crossover in it and a rotary pot for tweeter level adjustment.
Inside are two capacitors that I want to try replacing to see if that's
where the problem lies.

They are marked:
Chicago Condenser Corp. 10296 135766

There are two wire leads coming out of one end. There are no polarity
markings.

Anyone have an idea of the values of these?
John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ 07701

Phone: 732-842-3853 Fax: 732-842-5631

http://www.retromedia.net

Scott Dorsey

John Noll wrote:
One speaker works fine, but the other has a problem in the crossover and
no signal is reaching the tweeter. I pulled the tweeter and checked it
by bypassing the crossover and it works fine. There is a box on the rear
with a crossover in it and a rotary pot for tweeter level adjustment.
Inside are two capacitors that I want to try replacing to see if that's
where the problem lies.

Get the speaker that works fine and try measuring the caps. Knowing the
capacitor values will let you guess what the crossover frequency is, which
might help Harvey to identify the speakers. Just use the capacitance
setting on a cheap multimeter and see what they currently are at.