Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
[email protected] petesmith3@hotmail.com is offline

Default BOSE L1 model 2

How much do Bose pay you to post here by the way?

Phildo, your comment is one of the reasons I stopped posting on RMMGA,
Bose DO NOT pay me anything to post on here or anywhere else, I am a
professional, freelance session guitarist and I offered my experiences
using the L1 simply because Ty Ford asked. I posted the link to the
FAQ as it answered many of the issues raised in the thread.
I HAVE played on the Bose stand at a couple of MI shows and I did
receive a fee for it, this is my job after all but if I didn`t like
the equipment I would not say otherwise.
If my integrity or credentials are question here I`m sure that many
attendees of the UK gatherings will vouch for it.
I hope this will allay any more suspicions that I am a “plant” for
Bose or anyone else.
Pete Smith
www.petesmithguitarist.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

wrote:

How much do Bose pay you to post here by the way?

Phildo, your comment is one of the reasons I stopped posting on RMMGA,
Bose DO NOT pay me anything to post on here or anywhere else, I am a
professional, freelance session guitarist and I offered my experiences
using the L1 simply because Ty Ford asked. I posted the link to the
FAQ as it answered many of the issues raised in the thread.
I HAVE played on the Bose stand at a couple of MI shows and I did
receive a fee for it, this is my job after all but if I didn`t like
the equipment I would not say otherwise.
If my integrity or credentials are question here I`m sure that many
attendees of the UK gatherings will vouch for it.
I hope this will allay any more suspicions that I am a "plant" for
Bose or anyone else.
Pete Smith
www.petesmithguitarist.com

I'd think Phildo should know who the hell Pete Smith is. It's not as if
y'all live in different countries.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message

[...]

he dooes seem to make a fair share of his income through endosment deals, if
not ouright pay then free gear and a solid in on some plush gigs

one ought never bite the hand that feeds it.
endorsments make the reviews more suspect rather than less
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Fran Guidry Fran Guidry is offline

On Feb 6, 1:21*pm, Ty Ford wrote:
I'm thinking about gearing up for some small venues.

Me, an *acoustic guitar with a K&K, and on some occasions, maybe, another
person singing and playing.

Apart from the $2495 for the Bose L1 Model 2 (with the bass module), what
thoughts do you have about it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

The Fishman pole system is getting very positive response on a couple
of other forums. Similar to the Bose but lighter and lower in price.

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

Fran

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

"Fran Guidry" wrote in message
On Feb 6, 1:21 pm, Ty Ford wrote:
I'm thinking about gearing up for some small venues.

Me, an acoustic guitar with a K&K, and on some occasions, maybe, another
person singing and playing.

Apart from the $2495 for the Bose L1 Model 2 (with the bass module), what
thoughts do you have about it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demoshttp://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

The Fishman pole system is getting very positive response on a couple
of other forums. Similar to the Bose but lighter and lower in price.

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=106

Fran

The renkus Heinz system would be where I would look for technology like this
http://www.renkus-heinz.com/loudspea...ive/index.html

I have never heard any RH that was not top rate, but I also bet it will be
more money
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Skeeter Skeeter is offline

On Feb 10, 8:39*am, wrote:
How much do Bose pay you to post here by the way?

Phildo, your comment is one of the reasons I stopped posting on RMMGA,
Bose DO NOT pay me anything to post on here or anywhere else, I am a
professional, freelance session guitarist and I offered my experiences
using the L1 simply because Ty Ford asked. *I posted the link to the
FAQ as it answered many of the issues raised in the thread.
I HAVE played on the Bose stand at a couple of MI shows and I did
receive a fee for it, this is my job after all but if I didn`t like
the equipment I would not say otherwise.
If my integrity or credentials are question here I`m sure that many
attendees of the UK gatherings will vouch for it.
I hope this will allay any more suspicions that I am a “plant” for
Bose or anyone else.
Pete Smithwww.petesmithguitarist.com

Hi Pete,

Perhaps you are entirely honourable and without a hint of greed. I do
not question your performing credentials, and you may be a great
person to know as well. But from looking at your website, you appear
to be interested in endorsements of specific equipment with links
directly to the manufacturers. It is not clear whether you are
receiving any payment for hosting the links; and perhaps you are
simply posting the links because you love the gear so much, and
endorse it for no payment or favour of any kind. If this is true, then
you are absolved you of any suspicion of being a shill in my opinion.

However, it seems that every item you use, right down to the cases,
strings, capos, and even picks, are all hotlinked to the
manufacturers. This has the distinct appearance of marketing. And
marketing usually results in freebies, discounts, favours, or payments
of some kind.

I think it's likely true that Bose does not pay you to post to news
groups. However, when your posts contatin the links to the
manufacturer and the link to your own webpage that is full of
endorsing, direct links to manufacturers is rather gauche, and does
not look to be entirely honourable and selfless. I may be wrong here,
but it sure looks this way.

It has been my experience that Bose PA equipment is not junk. It is
usually pretty decent stuff. However, I must admit that it is
normally overpriced for the result, and marketed heavily with hyped
jargon to convince potential customers.

I maybe wrong regarding the appearance of marketing income of some
kind to you. I wholeheartedly apologise if you are posting the links
to manufacturers solely because you love the equipment and are
receiving no payment or favour for doing so. Appearances, though
important, may be deceiving.

Cheers,
Skeeter
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Joe Carpenter Joe Carpenter is offline

On Feb 10, 2:13*pm, Skeeter wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:39*am, wrote:

[...]

Hi Skeeter;

Pete is a straight-ahead guy. No BS.

Not to mention a kick-ass picker.

Rgds,
Joe Carpenter
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
[email protected] anything@contractorcom.com is offline

On Feb 10, 8:39*am, wrote:

[...]

Quite.

If you look at any professional player's site (and many semi-pro ar
even amateur sites) that the web designer has taken an interest in
you'll find a host of links. This isn't neccessarily marketing -
sometimes it's just an interest in making the site more interesting
than "Here I am, this is what I do". Link-less sites get pretty boring
very quickly.

We all like to talk about stuff that works for us.

Pete does plenty of promotional work - it's part of hios job. I doubt
if any of his promotional stuff has a clause in it saying "By the way,
please push our stuff on the usenet as much as possible".

I'm not sure about Pete being straight ahead - I've seen him wobble
many times...:-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Bob Dorgan Bob Dorgan is offline

wrote

snipped

I'm not sure about Pete being straight ahead - I've seen him wobble
many times...:-)

Pot, kettle, black.

dorgan

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Skeeter Skeeter is offline

Hi Skeeter;

Pete is a straight-ahead guy. No BS.

Not to mention a kick-ass picker.

Rgds,
Joe Carpenter

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your opinion of Pete's character. I do not know Pete, and
cannot knowingly comment on anything except what I have read in this
thread and Pete's website. What I can comment upon with some personal
experience is the performance of Bose sound reinforcement gear. From
the original 802 system many years ago, up to the latest L1 model 2.

It's a decent sounding system that is simple to setup and teardown
that is best suited for small venues. It compares well in the
critical midrange frequencies when compared against the low end of
mainstream speakers. This includes the bulk of what you would normally
get for an inexpensive hire.

That is about it. Bose does not rewrite any laws of physics regarding
sound projection. Line arrays have been used for sound reinforcement
for quite a while. There is nothing magical or technically exclusive
regarding it's performance.

What you won't get is lower octave bass, and not much upper octave
highs. Due to the projection characteristics of a line array, in many
cases it will help with feedback issues, but it is in no way immune to
feedback and will create howling when provoked. It is a laced-in,
proprietary type of solution that you had better happy with.

What you also get with the L1 model 2 is a very heavy price for a
modest coverage sound reinforcement system. Scaling the system up
when needed will cost an additional $2.5k each time; which is not a
cost friendly endeavour. You can use it behind a larger FOH system as
a monitor system, but a rather expensive monitor it would be.

I believe the best advice that can be offered to Mr. Ford is to
consult with a known, reputable sound reinforcement professional (or
two) and try a few professionally recommended solutions before he
closes a deal. Chances are he well may receive a superior performing
system with an equal, or more modest investment. He may as well end
up choosing the Bose, but this decision will then be an informed,
purpose driven choice.

Cheers,
Skeeter
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Misifus[_2_] Misifus[_2_] is offline

Skeeter wrote:

I believe the best advice that can be offered to Mr. Ford is to
consult with a known, reputable sound reinforcement professional (or
two) and try a few professionally recommended solutions before he
closes a deal.

Mr. Ford himself is a sound professional, albeit more toward the
recording end of the field. Further, some of the advice he's gotten
here has been from reputable, experienced sound reinforcement
professionals, and he knows who they are. You can't tell the players
without a scorecard, and this is complicated by the fact that this post
was cross-posted. However, both Ty Ford and the aforementioned sound
reinforcement professional are well known on two of the groups.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:13:44 -0500, Misifus wrote
(in article ):

Skeeter wrote:

I believe the best advice that can be offered to Mr. Ford is to
consult with a known, reputable sound reinforcement professional (or
two) and try a few professionally recommended solutions before he
closes a deal.

Mr. Ford himself is a sound professional, albeit more toward the
recording end of the field. Further, some of the advice he's gotten
here has been from reputable, experienced sound reinforcement
professionals, and he knows who they are. You can't tell the players
without a scorecard, and this is complicated by the fact that this post
was cross-posted. However, both Ty Ford and the aforementioned sound
reinforcement professional are well known on two of the groups.

-Raf

The cross-posting was my doing. If I offended anyone by doing that, I
apologize.

As Mr. 'Fus makes plain. I'm a long-time local and that has given me faith in
many (but not all) of the folks of the groups to which I posted.

George's Fishman Pole tip is a good one to look at (thanks George).

I just stumbled into a new open mic about 2 miles from here and they have a
pitiful PA. Mostly two practice amps (less than full range) and an SM58 on a
stand. The main room is a hardwalled cube about 25' x 25' with about a 20'
ceiling; lot's of windows and cement everything else. Um, bouncy is a word
that comes to mind. You really don't need much PA in there, and too much
would be too much for the easily excitable room.

I was thinking of dragging my old C267 Revox mixer, a couple of MD421s and
one of the Event Opals just to see what would happen. I think the Opal has a
740W peak amp. That should be enough.

As Raf notes, I'm more a studio rat, so the thought of loading out, in, out,
in is not something I'd look forward to.

The fishman rig comes with a dandy cart, if I read the features right. only
two inputs, so for them, I might have to drag out the Shure m68 mixer out of
the museum to see if it still works.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll let you know what happens. Skeeter,
thanks for your cautions. When I tried calling the local Bose retail on
several occasions, they couldn't answer the phone. I was going to stop by
with my Martin and plug in for an in-store set. Guess not.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA