Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Default Simple questions, surround processors

As discussed previously, I'm looking for a multi-channel receiver or
pre/processor that would include circuitry handling audio for both video
and SACD surround audio. Many of the current units from HK, Denon,
Onkyo, Outlaws, etc., include some form of bass management circutry,
including adjustments of bass management frequency rolloff(?) for front,
mid, and surround channels. My question is: assuming the unit operates
to remove lower frequency signals from those sent to the smaller
speakers (such as the surrounds and/or mid speaker), what happens to the
bass content that is removed from those channels? Is it simply lost or
"discarded", or is it sent to the subwoofer, or somehow fed back to the
front (larger), speakers, as is the case with the Outlaw ICBM unit?

I presently use a sub to supplement a center speaker having limited bass
response. - The the center channel power amp output is fed to the
woofer inputs, and the center speaker receives mid and upper frequencies
from the sub. Question: would the newer reciever and/or pre/processors
have means for feeding only bass signals (e.g., from the center channel
amp) directly to the sub, and feeding mid and upper frequencies directly
to the center speaker?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Jim
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

JimC wrote:
As discussed previously, I'm looking for a multi-channel receiver or
pre/processor that would include circuitry handling audio for both video
and SACD surround audio. Many of the current units from HK, Denon,
Onkyo, Outlaws, etc., include some form of bass management circutry,
including adjustments of bass management frequency rolloff(?) for front,
mid, and surround channels. My question is: assuming the unit operates
to remove lower frequency signals from those sent to the smaller
speakers (such as the surrounds and/or mid speaker), what happens to the
bass content that is removed from those channels? Is it simply lost or
"discarded", or is it sent to the subwoofer, or somehow fed back to the
front (larger), speakers, as is the case with the Outlaw ICBM unit?

If the bass management works properly, It's sent to the subwoofer, or/and
to any front speakers set to 'large'.

I presently use a sub to supplement a center speaker having limited bass
response. - The the center channel power amp output is fed to the
woofer inputs, and the center speaker receives mid and upper frequencies
from the sub. Question: would the newer reciever and/or pre/processors
have means for feeding only bass signals (e.g., from the center channel
amp) directly to the sub, and feeding mid and upper frequencies directly
to the center speaker?

Yes, they can all do that. That;s waht bass management is for.

If you want bass management of SACD multichannel signals, your AVR has to
either do bass management on six-channel analog inputs, or have a digital
link that can pass SACD (either natively or converted to PCM first).

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On 30 Aug 2007 02:35:51 GMT, JimC wrote:

As discussed previously, I'm looking for a multi-channel receiver or
pre/processor that would include circuitry handling audio for both video
and SACD surround audio. Many of the current units from HK, Denon,
Onkyo, Outlaws, etc., include some form of bass management circutry,
including adjustments of bass management frequency rolloff(?) for front,
mid, and surround channels. My question is: assuming the unit operates
to remove lower frequency signals from those sent to the smaller
speakers (such as the surrounds and/or mid speaker), what happens to the
bass content that is removed from those channels? Is it simply lost or
"discarded", or is it sent to the subwoofer, or somehow fed back to the
front (larger), speakers, as is the case with the Outlaw ICBM unit?

Depends. Usually, it is sent to the sub, if there is one. They can
be sent to the larger speakers or both. Depends on the units and the
settings.

I presently use a sub to supplement a center speaker having limited bass
response. - The the center channel power amp output is fed to the
woofer inputs, and the center speaker receives mid and upper frequencies
from the sub. Question: would the newer reciever and/or pre/processors
have means for feeding only bass signals (e.g., from the center channel
amp) directly to the sub, and feeding mid and upper frequencies directly
to the center speaker?

If that is your "only" sub, it is possible by setting all the other
speakers to LARGE and only the center to SMALL. If, however, you have
another larger sub for LFE or if some of your other speakers are not
large, you will have to revert to what you have been doing.

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
JimC JimC is offline

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

[...]

It's a 10-inch woofer used in combination with the center speaker. - I
have a larger Velodyne woofer for the system as a whole, adjusted to
reproduce only lower frequencies. Regarding the original questions, I
need a receiver or pre/pro or some sort of switching arrangement that
would permit me to select audio from a surround SACD player, a stereo
CD/SACD player, and the video audio from a DISH receiver(which is Dolby
surround on some channels). Also, hopefully, appropriate bass management
for the SACD surround. -

Incidentally, I enjoyed your recent SP reviews of High Rez video audio
and of the AR MP1 preamp. Regarding the MP1, I didn't notice much
discussion of any bass management circitry in this unit. Maybe I missed
it, but apparently you have resolved that issue by using five rather
large, full range B&W speakers, so it may not be of major concern to you.

Perhaps somewhat off the subject, I find it strange that AR quality
control for a $7,500 preamp didn't catch a defective center channel
circuit board. - Or worse, that AR didn't package the unit appropriately
for the shipping method selected. - What other problems will show up later?

Jim