Posted to rec.audio.car
Mark Heiple Mark Heiple is offline

Default alpine vs ?

I used to have an Alpine CDA-9827 + THE KCA-420i iPod adapter. Some
asshole broke into my car and stole the 9827 but left the iPod adapter,
so now I'm looking for a replacement.

My first thought was to get another Alpine unit since I still have the
iPod adapter. However, it looks like the new units don't use it - the
iPod connects directly to the head unit.

This is probably an improvement, as the 9827 + 420i was kind of clunky -
finding albums was very slow. It took forever to scroll through lists
to find anything.

So if I shouldn't plan on re-using the KCA-420i, is it worth while
getting another Alpine? I think there are other companies that are
compatible with the iPod now (Pioneer, Kenwood, ...)

I looked at Alpine's web site, the 9852 looks interesting. It is fairly
cheap, connects to the iPod, but doesn't have HD (don't need), USB
(don't need), bluetooth (don't need), steering wheel controls (don't
have), versatile link (could be useful, but not now) like the 9856/9857.

Is the only difference between the 9856 and 9857 the display?
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

The 9827 had Alpine's Media Expander function. I believe some of their new
decks have gone back to BBE, but no more ME.

However, the 9852 appears to have NEITHER ME or BBE, so you will be losing
that. It's a pretty basic model, but maybe that appeals to you.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mark Heiple Mark Heiple is offline

In article ,
"MOSFET" wrote:

The 9827 had Alpine's Media Expander function. I believe some of their new
decks have gone back to BBE, but no more ME.

However, the 9852 appears to have NEITHER ME or BBE, so you will be losing
that. It's a pretty basic model, but maybe that appeals to you.

I'm looking more for a basic model, but if the 9852 doesn't have either
ME or BBE, then that might be too basic.

The car just has the factory speakers - no sub, extra amps, or anything
else. I doubt it makes sense to get a fancy high-powered unit and run
it through the factory speakers.

I don't want a very expensive model, this is the second time my car has
been broken into, and I'm tired of buying radios for those lowlife
scavengers.