eppy

Default pre-amp/equalizer - advice wanted

Hi,

I've had a fruitless day searching the Internet for a pre-amp & equalizer
(preferably combined) for my hi-fi system. (BTW, I live in the UK) I may
also consider an AV processor, if it can act as an equalizer.

Here's what I'm looking for in a nutshell - any advice much appreciated!

I have a Perreaux E220 stereo amplifier. This is an audiophile grade
amplifer, and is of the KISS for purity school, with connections consisting
of only an on/off switch, 2x RCA input terminals, and 2x speaker output
terminals.

All I want in terms of a preamp is at least 2x RCA inputs/outputs, and a
volume control, so that I can control the volume going to my speakers!
However, when looking around, all I can find is esoteric high-end stuff.

Here's my story:

My problem is that my ears are no longer audiophile grade, and I can't
justify paying £1000s for what seems to be a fairly simple bit of kit.

I recently had an audiogram (hearing test), and the results weren't good;
for instance I'm down 45db at 6Khz in my right ear (only 6db in my left),
but interestingly enough have no loss at 1Khz, though there is a 3db drop
off down at 200hz.

As an experiment (don't cringe please), I plugged the inverse of my hearing
loss graph into the software equaliser that comes with my PC's sound card (a
high quality AC97 5.1 chip), connected into a reasonable quality Cambridge
Soundworks 5.1 PC speaker system (and also through high quality headphones)
The results were incredible - I literally shed a tear as I heard the whole
of the music that I had remembered since before my hearing loss started.

As such, I'm suddenly keen to get a decent hi-fi system going again, but
having an equaliser (and of course volume control for my amp) is critical.
I'm not fussy if the equaliser is analogue or digital, as long as it is of
decent quality and transparent apart from the "colouring" that I define.

Any ideas where I can find a solution for a few hundred pounds, preferably
with a combined equaliser/preamp (read: volume control)

Thanks for any suggestions,
Tim

Kalman Rubinson

It will be difficult to find any EQ which can handle boosts on the
order of 45dB and certainly none that are incorporated into a simple
preamp. My suggestions a
1. Use the PC with EQ.
2. Get a simple preamp and build a custom eq.

Kal
is to use On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:21:59 GMT, "eppy"
wrote:

[...]

eppy

Thanks for your advice. A quick clarification is in order: The 12db (max)
equalisation of my software equaliser was up to the job, as hearing loss is
greater in one ear, and the brain does an amazing job of compensating the
"stereo image", once I've compensated the frequency response for my better
ear.

I'd rather have a decent hi-fi set up, rather than having to run cables from
my PC and have the noisy PC fan (not to say 3 x very noisy hard drives
running). I'll also be using the equaliser for output for a DVD/home cimena
that I'm putting together, so using the PC isn't the answer.

Thanks again for your help,
Tim

wrote:

[...]

Kalman Rubinson

Then my other suggestion stands since I do not think you can buy a
good parametric eq on your budget. BTW, I have done similar for a
friend with significant hearing loss using a z-systems RDP-1 digital
eq but the bulk and cost is high. We ended up building a fixed analog
eq which only approximated his needs. He uses it from time to time.

Kal

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:46:45 GMT, "eppy" wrote:

Thanks for your advice. A quick clarification is in order: The 12db (max)
equalisation of my software equaliser was up to the job, as hearing loss is
greater in one ear, and the brain does an amazing job of compensating the
"stereo image", once I've compensated the frequency response for my better
ear.

I'd rather have a decent hi-fi set up, rather than having to run cables from
my PC and have the noisy PC fan (not to say 3 x very noisy hard drives
running). I'll also be using the equaliser for output for a DVD/home cimena
that I'm putting together, so using the PC isn't the answer.

Thanks again for your help,
Tim

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Robert Morein

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
Then my other suggestion stands since I do not think you can buy a
good parametric eq on your budget. BTW, I have done similar for a
friend with significant hearing loss using a z-systems RDP-1 digital
eq but the bulk and cost is high. We ended up building a fixed analog
eq which only approximated his needs. He uses it from time to time.

Kal

I have a couple Sony TA-E1000ESD units, which I use as preamps.
Unlike the later 2000, this has an 18 bit ladder DAC, and it sounds better.

A friend of mine and I have done a level matched comparison with the
EP9000ES, which contains the DAC from the XA3ES CD player, which received a
Stereophile Class A rating.
We concluded that the 1000 is very, very close in quality.
It incorporates a very flexible three band parametric digital equalizer.
Inputs available are optical digital, analog digital, and analog.

It's available quite reasonably, typically around $100, because it does not
decode digital formats.
The only weakness is low output level. If required to provide high output,
the analog stage degrades the sound. I use a Hafler DH-110 to buffer it.

I use this setup to drive Acoustat 2+2's with a Parasound HCA2200ii. I also
have a Perpetual P3A in the system, but seldom feel the need to switch it
in.

Arny Krueger

"eppy" wrote in message

Hi,

I've had a fruitless day searching the Internet for a pre-amp &
equalizer (preferably combined) for my hi-fi system. (BTW, I live in
the UK) I may also consider an AV processor, if it can act as an
equalizer.

http://www.rane.com/seq30l.html plus some external switches and RCA
adaptors. It's got a volume control and it's an equalizer.