Jim Owens

Default Using outboard gear and external A/D/A conversion to and from a Digigram card?

Simple problem, I would think.. but I've been searching through the
archives and I haven't yet found the answer.

Here's my setup: mic pre Crane Song Hedd Digigram VXPocket v2
Cool Edit. Until recently, all I've needed was A/D conversion via the
Hedd. Works perfectly. But now I have some analogue outboard gear I'd
like to use to effect some tracks I've previously recorded. So, I set
it up like this: digigram spdif-out Hedd spdif-in Hedd
analogue-out outboard analogue-in outboard analogue-out Hedd
analogue-in Hedd spdif-out digigram spdif-in. I've tried every
combination of settings I could think of, in the digigram setup
window, in CE and on the Hedd. I just can't get it to record the
effected signal.

Now I really am not familiar with word clock, so I've done nothing
with that. I've left out the outboard and just hooked it up digigram
spdif-out Hedd spdif-in Hedd spdif-out digigram spdif-in.. and
that's been a failure, also.

I thought I could at least use the digigram's analogue outs and ins
connected directly to the outboard's .. but that hasn't worked either.
I either get full scale squeeling or robo-effects (and I was patching
into a compressor). So I tried connecting the digigram's analogue
inputs to its own outputs. Same thing.

So, I'm totally lost here and I'd really appreciate some help. Do I
need a second sound card, or something to do with word clock, or what?