Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Pat

Default CD transport, archival on hard disk and DA question

Hi all,

I want to simplify my life and the organization of my 800CDs so i am
thinking of archiving on a computer. I have 4 basic questions:

A) I hard many arguments about CD transport differences and am
wondering how that is possible?

B) How is the CD stransport different in an audio CD player and
computer CD drives. If I read the sound files from the CD onto my
computer I can use different computers and get always the identical
sound file (yes, i compared the bits). If the transport would be
different, then the bits should be different, or ?

C) If i store sound files uncompressed on a hard disk of an able
computer (500MHz G4), then shouldn't I be able to play these files via
a good DAC (i.e. M-audio firewire audiophile, 96kHz) and get CD sound
back???

D) any other "computer intrefacable" DACs that are better than the
M-audio?

I have a Linn Majik, Nakamichi CD/DVD player, Blueroom speakers, B&W
sub. I really enjoy the sound from CDs. I went to a dealer and they
claim that $1000-$2000 CD players (Rega planet, Linn Genki) sound way
better. Is that just the DAC in the player ?

Thanks a lot!

Pat