Posted to rec.audio.pro
The Realm The Realm is offline

Default High Quality software reverb????

ok,

I have been looking at hardware stuff: kurzweil ksp-8, eventide
dsp7600, tc electronic,lexicon, etc.

software plugins dont match these units supposedly, including the uad
reverbs?

but what about the convolution reverbs? are they really as good for
reverb? altiverb, sir, wizoo, waves IR II, etc?

are they worth it in reference to hardware units? they would make
things easier mixing in DAW for sure.

looking for opinions from people who have actually compared them?

thanks

george
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

The Realm wrote:

but what about the convolution reverbs? are they really as good for
reverb? altiverb, sir, wizoo, waves IR II, etc?

are they worth it in reference to hardware units? they would make
things easier mixing in DAW for sure.

If you have the computer power, then they're OK. If you don't, they'll
make a mess of your DAW workflow. And you never know until you try. How
much power you need depends on many things, nearly all of which vary
from project to project. There's no point in posting a list of what you
have in your computer because at some time, some project will exceed its
capability.

Hardware reverbs are nice, but you need a way of interfacing them, and
it's unlikely that you'll have enough of them, and in enough variety, so
that you can have a different reverb on every track. That seems to be a
production style that's popular these days, but it's certainly not what
real life is like.

As to comparisons, there's really no fair comparison between any two
reverbs, hardware or software, other than perhaps cost and number of
instances (limited to one in the hardware case, of course). You just
mess around with what you have or can afford and make the best of it.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

In article ,
The Realm wrote:

ok,

I have been looking at hardware stuff: kurzweil ksp-8, eventide
dsp7600, tc electronic,lexicon, etc.

software plugins dont match these units supposedly, including the uad
reverbs?

but what about the convolution reverbs? are they really as good for
reverb? altiverb, sir, wizoo, waves IR II, etc?

are they worth it in reference to hardware units? they would make
things easier mixing in DAW for sure.

looking for opinions from people who have actually compared them?

thanks

george

I own a number of hardware and software reverbs, 4 of each. And I find
uses for both kinds.

My 2 fave hardware verbs are a lexicon 200 and 300L. I use them all the
time. In particular, the rich place on the 200 is the cat's meow on lead
vocal.

My fave software verb is Altiverb. Very good for specific spaces or a
realistic plate. It's rather amazing in fact. I just mixed a song that
opens with solo bagpipes that I recorded in studio, and with Altiverb
you'd swear I'd hung a couple mics in a cathedral. Very dramatic and
realistic, even to my ears.

Buy good tools. And don't trust the pretty ads you see in the magazines.
Talk first to the folks who use those tools. And make sure the folks
talking about those tools have a clue.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com