Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
[email protected] mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com is offline

Default Tascam US-428 noise issue

When I try recording audio from the US-428 (using Cubase SX 2,
SoundForge, or any digital audio program), I am hearing a sputtering
background noise

(to hear it download this MP3 file:
http://madscijr.weebly.com/uploads/1...s428_noise.mp3
)

It seems to be louder on inputs A:B (where the recorded signal is
barely audible) but is also on C (the noise is loud enough so that
anything I record is ruined).

The sputtering noise seems to be coming in at the computer level (I
don't hear the noise in headphones plugged into the US-428 itself,
although I do hear a low hum).

I am using all new cables which I checked and they are working fine.

This didn't used to be a problem - is something in the Tascam fried or
is there a setting or something I can change to make the problem go
away?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
Elmo' 7#9 Elmo' 7#9 is offline

(to hear it download this MP3 file:
http://madscijr.weebly.com/uploads/1...s428_noise.mp3
)

It seems to be louder on inputs A:B (where the recorded signal is
barely audible) but is also on C (the noise is loud enough so that
anything I record is ruined).

I had a similar problem with a US-144.

The noise was USB traffic breaking through to the audio preamps.

It didn't affect the balanced mic inputs, line inputs or inserts but was
REALLY audible
when I used the guitar-level input.

If your noise comes and goes with differing USB traffic, it could be the
same fault
(insufficient internal shielding).

I ended up recording DI guitar straight into the line input (satisfactory).

I sold the US-144 to buy a PCI card with lower latency.

Elmo' 7#9

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
[email protected] mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com is offline

I had a similar problem with a US-144.
The noise was USB traffic breaking through to the audio preamps.

I have been using the Tascam for several years and never had this
problem before. Could this be due to connecting the Tascam with a
different USB cable or being caused by one of the other USB
peripherals?

Thanks for your reply...

On Aug 26, 10:59*am, "Elmo' 7#9"
Elmo_Macdonald@_NO_KNOB_ENLARGEMENT_EMAIL_PLEASE_ hotmail.com wrote:
(to hear it download this MP3 file:
http://madscijr.weebly.com/uploads/1...s428_noise.mp3
)

It seems to be louder on inputs A:B (where the recorded signal is
barely audible) but is also on C (the noise is loud enough so that
anything I record is ruined).

I had a similar problem with a US-144.

The noise was USB traffic breaking through to the audio preamps.

It didn't affect the balanced mic inputs, line inputs or inserts but was
REALLY audible
when I used the guitar-level input.

If your noise comes and goes with differing USB traffic, it could be the
same fault
(insufficient internal shielding).

I ended up recording DI guitar straight into the line input (satisfactory).

I sold the US-144 to buy a PCI card with lower latency.

Elmo' 7#9

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
[email protected] mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com is offline

The noise was USB traffic breaking through to the audio preamps.

Could it be a general USB driver issue? Or something in XP svc pack 2
or 3 that somehow as made the US-428 drivers obsolete?

Also, the hum I hear through the headphones doesn't go away but it
seems to change (it sort of changes "tone" or sounds as though it's
being panned somehow, even though it remains mono) when I mute the
monitors (or minimize/maximize the monitor level sliders) in the
US-428 control panel.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
The noise was USB traffic breaking through to the audio preamps.

Could it be a general USB driver issue? Or something in XP svc pack 2
or 3 that somehow as made the US-428 drivers obsolete?

No, it's the result of poor PC board layout and general electronics design.

Also, the hum I hear through the headphones doesn't go away but it
seems to change (it sort of changes "tone" or sounds as though it's
being panned somehow, even though it remains mono) when I mute the
monitors (or minimize/maximize the monitor level sliders) in the
US-428 control panel.

Yes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
Mad Scientist Jr[_2_] Mad Scientist Jr[_2_] is offline

No, it's the result of poor PC board layout and general electronics design.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
No, it's the result of poor PC board layout and general electronics desig=

n.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't experience this problem until recently
however, so is there any cause other than hardware failure?

Something changed in your hardware configuration, or else you are using
much lower levels than you were before. Are you using the same power
supply on the computer? Is your grounding configuration identical?
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.steinberg.cubase
Dan Beaty Dan Beaty is offline

Your problem sounds like something I encountered last Dec. I found that a
blown capacitor was causing hum that was previously not heard. There is a
photo of the cap on this site:
http://tascamforums.com/index.php?showtopic=7012

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article

,
Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
No, it's the result of poor PC board layout and general electronics

desig=
n.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't experience this problem until recently
however, so is there any cause other than hardware failure?

Something changed in your hardware configuration, or else you are using
much lower levels than you were before. Are you using the same power
supply on the computer? Is your grounding configuration identical?

TASCAM issue raising its head. Navy Sealed Pro Audio 3 August 30th 06 07:46 AM
Dolby noise issue Yef Pro Audio 2 March 22nd 05 12:45 PM
sennheiser 416 & noise issue for VO mike e Pro Audio 6 October 25th 03 01:31 AM
noise issue using effects into A&H board Violindave Pro Audio 0 September 26th 03 03:43 AM
MP3 player noise issue ocran Car Audio 0 August 5th 03 07:20 PM