Posted to rec.audio.pro
sane54 sane54 is offline

Default room analysis

Sorry if this is a broken record to the gurus here, but what resources
are there on room analysis and treatment?

Also - here's a bit of background - I am in a 20 x 20 concete basement
with typical fiberglass ceiling tiles. Shelves full of stuff plus the
stairs on the rear wall (what the speakers are facing), more shelves
on the left wall, drum set, washer and dryer (I know) on the right
side. I have a couple of HR824s on stands (old 9" racks actually, with
nothing else in them) and a small table for the laptop in a triangle
towards the left side, the rear speaker side is about 3 ' from the
front wall which is otherwise pretty empty. Well, here's my theory:
there's so much random junk in there that I have a kind of diffusion
on all my walls except the front wall. Am I crazy for thinking this?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:17:57 -0700 (PDT), sane54
wrote:

Sorry if this is a broken record to the gurus here, but what resources
are there on room analysis and treatment?

You can't go wrong by starting with Ethan Winer's website:
http://ethanwiner.com/

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 01:29:22 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

You can't go wrong by starting with Ethan Winer's website:
http://ethanwiner.com/

Sorry. His professional website:
http://realtraps.com/

CH
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Because you appear to be new here, a whacko stalker has
attempted to take advantage of your (fortunate) ignorance
of him. The name posted is his victim's.

He (usually) posts from buzzardnews, but his sad style
is unmistakable. We're all sorry to have this cancer
on board, but have learned to adjust our expectations.

Like a common troll, it's best to never respond,
however sorely provoked. If you do, expect personal
emails.

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"sane54" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a broken record to the gurus here, but what resources
are there on room analysis and treatment?

Look for books by F. Alton Everest, which you should be able to find at a
local library, or request via inter-library loan. Don't start with the
"Master Handbook of Acoustics", but one of his simpler ones.

Also - here's a bit of background - I am in a 20 x 20 concete basement
with typical fiberglass ceiling tiles. Shelves full of stuff plus the
stairs on the rear wall (what the speakers are facing), more shelves
on the left wall, drum set, washer and dryer (I know) on the right
side. I have a couple of HR824s on stands (old 9" racks actually, with
nothing else in them) and a small table for the laptop in a triangle
towards the left side, the rear speaker side is about 3 ' from the
front wall which is otherwise pretty empty. Well, here's my theory:
there's so much random junk in there that I have a kind of diffusion
on all my walls except the front wall. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Not crazy, no. Remember, though, that the flat fronts and sides of your
washer and dryer are good reflectors, and will probably also resonate unless
you damp them down somehow.

Clap your hands in the room; do you hear a flutter echo?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

what resources are there on room analysis and treatment?

Thanks to Chris for linking to my personal and company web sites. Here are
some specific links with exactly the info you need:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
http://www.realtraps.com/articles.htm
http://www.realtraps.com/videos.htm

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"sane54" wrote in message

Also - here's a bit of background - I am in a 20 x 20
concete basement with typical fiberglass ceiling tiles.
Shelves full of stuff plus the stairs on the rear wall
(what the speakers are facing), more shelves on the left
wall, drum set, washer and dryer (I know) on the right
side. I have a couple of HR824s on stands (old 9" racks
actually, with nothing else in them) and a small table
for the laptop in a triangle towards the left side, the
rear speaker side is about 3 ' from the front wall which
is otherwise pretty empty. Well, here's my theory:
there's so much random junk in there that I have a kind
of diffusion on all my walls except the front wall. Am I
crazy for thinking this?

You probably aren't crazy.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
sane54 sane54 is offline

Great folks!

I'll be looking at Ethans site this week!

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

I'll be looking at Ethans site this week!

Also, since you asked about random junk in your basement, be sure to see the
video "All About Diffusion" while you're visiting my company's site.

--Ethan