Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mrlizardo@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Drum editing in Nuendo.

Hello, i'm looking for a way of cutting down the time it takes me to
edit drums in nuendo 3.

While i love the way nuendo works for everything else, i can't seem to
figure out a way to edit multitracked drums in a way that would come
close to the speed of beat detective or elastic time in pro tools.
Logic is also faster with it's 'tab to transient' function.

The only way i've been able to sucessfully edit drums in nuendo is by
creating a folder track snipping all the tracks manually (because
hitpoint detection doesn't work right!!!) quantizing, then add
crossfades and shift them to the left of the hit until it sounds
right. If. a song requires alot of editing, this can take a longggg
time.

Close gaps doesn't work as it time stretches the audio.
Hit point detection miss's blatant transient peaks and picks up all
the tiny little ones, If it detected the peaks in a similar way to
drumagog it would be fantastic.
Editing with warp tabs doesn't work because it time stretches the
audio and screws up the phase.
Using a standalone program to edit drums is more hassle than it's
worth.

I've scoured the Steinberg forums for an answer to this, but it all
just seems to be frustrated guys with the same problems. I've seen
alot of guys talk about using nuendo on this group, what methods do
you use?

Has anyone seen any improvement on this with Nuendo4 or Cubase4, i
know that nuendo is more geared toward post at the moment, but some of
the features look very appealing, i'm certainly not going to upgrade
to 4 until i know that there is an answer to this problem. Logic is
looking like the better alternative at the moment.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Mike wrote:
wrote:
Hello, i'm looking for a way of cutting down the time it takes me
to edit drums in nuendo 3.

The easiest way is to get a drummer who can play what's needed and
doesn't require editing. What's wrong with that approach?

TWo possibilities:

FIrst, finding a real pro drummer where he lives is nigh on
impossible. Or ...

DRummer doesn't sound enough like a metronome no matter who
it is.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mrlizardo@hotmail.co.uk is offline

The easiest way is to get a drummer who can play what's needed and
doesn't require editing. What's wrong with that approach?

Nothing is wrong with that approach, I'd love never to have to edit
drums ever!. Unfortunately I'm not usually in a position where I can
hire in a session guy to do the drums for each band I record with a
terrible drummer.

FIrst, finding a real pro drummer where he lives is nigh on
impossible

Yes.

DRummer doesn't sound enough like a metronome no matter who
it is.

No.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mrlizardo@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Bands are
supposed to play music together, not reconstruct music fron samples
recorded in the studio. There's another name for that form of music. g

o at yahoo -- I'm really Mike Rivers
)

I couldn't agree more.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 00:44:51 GMT, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Bands are
supposed to play music together, not reconstruct music fron samples
recorded in the studio. There's another name for that form of music. g

I would hazard a guess that this band may well be perfectly able to
play together, but somehow the assumption has crept in that the
"proper" studio procedure is to record them separately. In the unreal
and unmusical situation of playing alone the drummer is understandably
dropping bloopers. Am I right?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Bands are
supposed to play music together, not reconstruct music fron samples
recorded in the studio. There's another name for that form of music. g

I would hazard a guess that this band may well be perfectly able to
play together, but somehow the assumption has crept in that the
"proper" studio procedure is to record them separately. In the unreal
and unmusical situation of playing alone the drummer is understandably
dropping bloopers. Am I right?

No. Drum editing is something I'll use as a last resort. The 'proper'
procedure is whatever the situation demands. I'll track drums
whichever way the drummer and the band are most comfortable and edit
drums if they request it.

My point is, whether I choose to use it or not (which i rarely do) if
the situation demands it, I need to be able to edit quickly, something
i'm finding very difficult with nuendo compared to protools or logic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Smol Richard Smol is offline

On Aug 21, 7:17*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
wrote:
Hello, i'm looking for a way of cutting down the time it takes me to
edit drums in nuendo 3.

The easiest way is to get a drummer who can play what's needed and
doesn't require editing. What's wrong with that approach?

You can program stuff a drummer can't play.

RS