Omis

Default Radio broadcast vocal setting

I'd like to set up with friends a small radio station.
This is my question: the signal of the speaker's microphone should
pass through compressor and reverb, I think.
Although there are many topics regarding the compressor setting, which
setting should I use for the reverb processor? Should I use it?

Tnx a lot.
Scott Dorsey

Omis wrote:
I'd like to set up with friends a small radio station.
This is my question: the signal of the speaker's microphone should
pass through compressor and reverb, I think.
Although there are many topics regarding the compressor setting, which
setting should I use for the reverb processor? Should I use it?

Of course! You need a spring reverb for that cheez-whiz 1960s AM sound!
Michael Drainer

Typically radio broadcasters do not use reverb except for special effects.
I know you didn't ask this, but instead of a standard compressor, look at
the Symetrix 422 AGC. This device is used in a large number of comercial
broadcast studios.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Omis wrote:
I'd like to set up with friends a small radio station.
This is my question: the signal of the speaker's microphone should
pass through compressor and reverb, I think.
Although there are many topics regarding the compressor setting, which
setting should I use for the reverb processor? Should I use it?

Of course! You need a spring reverb for that cheez-whiz 1960s AM sound!

Omis

"Michael Drainer" wrote
Typically radio broadcasters do not use reverb except for special effects.
I know you didn't ask this, but instead of a standard compressor, look at
the Symetrix 422 AGC. This device is used in a large number of comercial
broadcast studios.

Thanks a lot for your answer!
I've an Alesis 3630 compressor but I read many positive posts
regarding the Symetrix 422 AGC, you're suggesting: can't I set my
Alesis to match as more as possible the Symetrix? (I suppose it is
used for the final mixdown, right?).
And for the speaker voice only, have you suggestion for ratio and
threshold?
Last thing: I've got a condenser studio microphone: have you any trick
for the pan position of the mixer? (the mic is mono of course, should
I set something to position the voice not only in the center?)

Thanks again, and sorry for my newbie questions...