Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Rutman Neil Rutman is offline

Default Code

T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

--
Neil R

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nick Brown Nick Brown is offline

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:05:55 -0700, "Neil Rutman"
wrote:

T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

Haven't read it yet, but it's online at:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1061316.story

-Nick
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Aug 30, 12:05*pm, "Neil Rutman" wrote:
T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

--
Neil R

Gee, this sounds like yet another audiophile standard to replace those
horrible-sounding CDs and achieve analog sound using digital. Here is
one take on the new standard:

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...e-dv.html#more

It seems unlikely that audiophiles would actually believe that high-
quality sound is possible from lowly DVD players.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

wrote:

T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

Haven't read it yet, but it's online at:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1061316.story

-Nick

Quoth T. Bone:
"We were sending records out to the pressing plants and the record
companies, and they were coming back sounding nothing like what we had
sent them," Burnett said.

Why, I would think a certain amount of violence would then
be in order. At very least structure payment such that
payment is contingent on acceptable product.

I would like to direct anybody who cares to "At Last!" by Bugs Henderson
for a really nice example of just how good CD can sound.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Neil Rutman wrote:
T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

After reading the article, bearing in mind where the major quality loss
occurs between studio & listener, is it going to be compulsory to use an
acoustically treated listening room, with the listening chair fastened
rigidly in place using a headbrace (Acoustically invisible, of course)
to ensure the listener's head remains in the sweet spot?

Oh, & will it be compatible with my current portable CD player?

No, I thought not.

The Betamax museum's over there.

Incidentally, when using a digital master, how does it matter *which*
generation is used, as they're all identical if the machinery's working
right?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...8aug30,0,10611
6.story

-Nick

Quoth T. Bone:
"We were sending records out to the pressing plants and the record
companies, and they were coming back sounding nothing like what we had
sent them," Burnett said.

Why, I would think a certain amount of violence would then
be in order. At very least structure payment such that
payment is contingent on acceptable product.

I would like to direct anybody who cares to "At Last!" by Bugs Henderson
for a really nice example of just how good CD can sound.

Why, thank you, Les.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Neil Rutman wrote:
T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

So how does it sound? Any Mellencamp fans here have the DVD version?

I couldn't tell from the article just what's on the DVD - not the
content, I assume that's the same as the CD, but the audio format. It
has to be something that any DVD player can play. Or is the point that
it's mastered separately from the commercial CD release, sort of like
the Mobile Fidelity versions of phonograph records that we used to be
able to get (maybe still can?)?

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

wrote:

T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.
Haven't read it yet, but it's online at:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...8aug30,0,10611
6.story
-Nick

Quoth T. Bone:
"We were sending records out to the pressing plants and the record
companies, and they were coming back sounding nothing like what we had
sent them," Burnett said.

Why, I would think a certain amount of violence would then
be in order. At very least structure payment such that
payment is contingent on acceptable product.

I would like to direct anybody who cares to "At Last!" by Bugs Henderson
for a really nice example of just how good CD can sound.

Why, thank you, Les.

That's an opinion formed when it was first released. It's
just a good example - I knew it was one of y'alls, but that's
not why it's brought up as an example.

It sounded good on vinyl, too. Funny how that works.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When Taxin licensed it the master tapes were at the Wakefield Mfg. plant
in Phoenix. They duped to a DAT that got checked for errors, and then
they sent to DAT tape to Germany. Nothing done in the contemporary
manner of "mastering".

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

Haven't read it yet, but it's online at:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1061316.story

I can see some valid points there.

Not least that it was obvious when TB hard drives are here, the need for quality
crushing mp3 etc compression will simply die.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

jwvm wrote:

"Neil Rutman" wrote:
T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

Gee, this sounds like yet another audiophile standard to replace those
horrible-sounding CDs and achieve analog sound using digital. Here is
one take on the new standard:

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...e-dv.html#more

It seems unlikely that audiophiles would actually believe that high-
quality sound is possible from lowly DVD players.

That's merely a reflection of how dumb they are.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

Quoth T. Bone:
"We were sending records out to the pressing plants and the record
companies, and they were coming back sounding nothing like what we had
sent them," Burnett said.

Sounds like the modern digital equivalent of the cutting engineer needs taking out to
the nearest wall and shooting.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Williamson wrote:

Incidentally, when using a digital master, how does it matter *which*
generation is used, as they're all identical if the machinery's working
right?

Remember when DATs had error correction and concealment LEDs ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

It sounded good on vinyl, too. Funny how that works.

VERY good vinyl can indeed sound quite OK. Usually doesn't last that way for
long sadly.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Eeyore wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:

Quoth T. Bone:
"We were sending records out to the pressing plants and the record
companies, and they were coming back sounding nothing like what we had
sent them," Burnett said.

Sounds like the modern digital equivalent of the cutting engineer needs taking out to
the nearest wall and shooting.

It's usually not their fault. They are usually so used to the label guys
and the musicians screaming at them to make things louder that crushing the
hell out of everything has become the norm in many places.

You wouldn't believe the sigh of relief I hear when I take recordings into
the mastering room and tell the engineer I don't want them loud at all.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:34:32 -0700, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article Yoguk.118$1a2.114@trnddc04):

I couldn't tell from the article just what's on the DVD - not the
content, I assume that's the same as the CD, but the audio format.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Elsewhere on the net, reviewers are saying that the music is 96kHz (sampling
frequency, not bitrate), 24-bit. Apparently they are not copy-protected and
uncompressed, and claim to be compatible with iTunes, iPods, and other
players. (I assume they have to be down-rezzed to WAV, AIFF, or ALAC to play
on an iPod.)

Can't find a website anywhere devoted to explaining "Code," which seems a
major omission on their part.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Aug 30, 8:48*pm, Marc Wielage wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:34:32 -0700, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article Yoguk.118$1a2.114@trnddc04):

I couldn't tell from the article just what's on the DVD - not the
content, I assume that's the same as the CD, but the audio format.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Elsewhere on the net, reviewers are saying that the music is 96kHz (sampling
frequency, not bitrate), 24-bit. *Apparently they are not copy-protected and
uncompressed, and claim to be compatible with iTunes, iPods, and other
players. (I assume they have to be down-rezzed to WAV, AIFF, or ALAC to play
on an iPod.)

Apparently, they have four differently encoded versions on the DVD.

Wow, what a revolutionary and original encoding concept. Nothing like
this has ever been done before! I'll bet that the RIAA loves the lack
of copy protection too. :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Marc Wielage wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:34:32 -0700, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article Yoguk.118$1a2.114@trnddc04):

I couldn't tell from the article just what's on the DVD - not the
content, I assume that's the same as the CD, but the audio format.

Elsewhere on the net, reviewers are saying that the music is 96kHz (sampling
frequency, not bitrate), 24-bit. Apparently they are not copy-protected and
uncompressed, and claim to be compatible with iTunes, iPods, and other
players. (I assume they have to be down-rezzed to WAV, AIFF, or ALAC to play
on an iPod.)

Why is this better than a DVD-A, then? DVD-A will give you the same
word length and sample rate, and is playable on existing DVD players
(well, a lot of them) as well as on your computer.

DVD-A was kind of late in coming, but it's here, and you might as
well use it if that's what you want.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

T Bone Burnett's new hi fi audio standard is written about in todays LA
Times calendar section.

Haven't read it yet, but it's online at:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1061316.story

I can see some valid points there.

Not least that it was obvious when TB hard drives are here, the need for quality
crushing mp3 etc compression will simply die.

Graham

No, because the principal emergent delivery system is iPod/iPhone. The
least common denominator never goes away.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Marc Wielage wrote:

Elsewhere on the net, reviewers are saying that the music is 96kHz (sampling
frequency, not bitrate), 24-bit. Apparently they are not copy-protected and
uncompressed, and claim to be compatible with iTunes, iPods, and other
players.

Well, DVD-A, which is already defined, is 96 kHz, 24-bit. DVD players
will play a lot of stuff, but I've never tried putting a disk with just
96 kHz WAV files in mine to see it it'll be recognized. Maybe it's as
simple as that. I assume it has to be readable by computer in order to
transfer the data to an iPod.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

On Aug 30, 8:19*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:
Elsewhere on the net, reviewers are saying that the music is 96kHz (sampling
frequency, not bitrate), 24-bit. *Apparently they are not copy-protected and
uncompressed, and claim to be compatible with iTunes, iPods, and other
players.

Well, DVD-A, which is already defined, is 96 kHz, 24-bit. DVD players
will play a lot of stuff, but I've never tried putting a disk with just
96 kHz WAV files in mine to see it it'll be recognized. Maybe it's as
simple as that. I assume it has to be readable by computer in order to
transfer the data to an iPod.

me he
)

I actually did take a 96K 24 bit file a burned it as a DVD-Audio disk.
The DVD player did recognize it and play it. It sounds better than a
CD. I was curious too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Phillips John Phillips is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Why is this better than a DVD-A, then? DVD-A will give you the same
word length and sample rate, and is playable on existing DVD players
(well, a lot of them) as well as on your computer.

I think that the DVD-A has drm and the Code DVD does not.

radio code Kristijan Car Audio 1 October 30th 06 05:59 PM
= eScrew code = 0 = emptiness = 1 = unity = 2 = duality = 3 = nirvana = 4 = love = 5 = time = 6 = war = 7 = perfection = 8 = eternity = 9 = judgment = eScrew code controls all computer systems on earth!!! [email protected] Car Audio 1 May 26th 06 03:38 PM
Code Red Mike Rivers Pro Audio 2 July 22nd 05 11:04 PM
Code calculation Soeren Car Audio 0 July 2nd 05 09:04 PM
Car Stereo CODE gobierno.com.mx Car Audio 2 April 12th 05 04:21 PM