Posted to rec.audio.pro
cporro cporro is offline

Default humidity meter recs

my old radio shack humidity meter/thermometer needs a battery change.
then i thought maybe there is something more accurate or has better
features (like the ability to log measurements). any recommendations?
or should i stick with the radio shack model.

i'm using it to monitor the humidity in my project studio and other
places where i have things like acoustic guitars, electronics.

thanks
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Aug 16, 7:28*pm, cporro wrote:
my old radio shack humidity meter/thermometer needs a battery change.
then i thought maybe there is something more accurate or has better
features (like the ability to log measurements). any recommendations?
or should i stick with the radio shack model.

i'm using it to monitor the humidity in my project studio and other
places where i have things like acoustic guitars, electronics.

thanks

Accuracy will cost a bit more. If you want +/- 1.5% RH NIST traceable,
VWR sells a Therm/Hyg combo for $210 US:

35519-043

bobs

BS Studios
we organize chaos
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Aug 16, 10:28*pm, cporro wrote:
my old radio shack humidity meter/thermometer needs a battery change.
then i thought maybe there is something more accurate or has better
features (like the ability to log measurements). any recommendations?
or should i stick with the radio shack model.

i'm using it to monitor the humidity in my project studio and other
places where i have things like acoustic guitars, electronics.

Extech makes a wide range of thermometer/humidity meters.

Here's the one I've seen most often:

http://www.extech.com/instrument/pro...80_445582.html

(the 445580)
It's commonly used in print shops where the paper storage and
operating environment needs to be monitored (and controlled).

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cporro cporro is offline

i ended up ordering this guy...
BK Precision 625 Thermo Hygrometer
http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_se...o%2DHygrometer
looking at the stats it says +2.5% for humidity. not sure if that
means + or - 2.5% or if it means the full range is 2.5%.

this came off a group discussion
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...p/t-95314.html

it was $150 which is a bit steep for me (i'm not a pro) but i do want
to protect a bit of gear. if i end up returning it i will probably
just get a radioshack cheapy and do the salt bag correction thing.

according to my radioshack cheapy the RH is about 73%. i've already
removed my guitars and speakers. i wonder how the non-powered up
electronic stuff (preamps, compressors, converters) will do. any
ideas?

then again the RH is only about 10% lower in our house. this is san
francisco.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Aug 20, 11:26*pm, cporro wrote:
i ended up ordering this guy...
BK Precision 625 Thermo Hygrometerhttp://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_searchmodel7.asp?lf=Digital+Thermo%...
looking at the stats it says +2.5% for humidity. not sure if that
means + or - 2.5% or if it means the full range is 2.5%.

I suspect it means +/- 2.5%, or that a reading between 47.5% and
52.5% for an actual humidity of 50% would be considered within spec.
The shirt-pocket Extech is +/- 5%.

this came off a group discussionhttp://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-95314.html

it was $150 which is a bit steep for me (i'm not a pro) but i do want
to protect a bit of gear. if i end up returning it i will probably
just get a radioshack cheapy and do the salt bag correction thing.

The Extech is around $59-$69.
You can get an optional calibration set, but I'm not sure how much
more
that is. Probably not really an issue for the uses we're discussing
here.

according to my radioshack cheapy the RH is about 73%. i've already
removed my guitars and speakers. i wonder how the non-powered up
electronic stuff (preamps, compressors, converters) will do. any
ideas?

I'm mostly concerned about guitars and condensor mics.
If the case is closed with a desicant pack in it there's probably
not much to worry about. Electronical stuff should be OK until it
gets way up there above 90%.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"cporro" wrote in message

my old radio shack humidity meter/thermometer needs a
battery change. then i thought maybe there is something
more accurate or has better features (like the ability to
log measurements). any recommendations? or should i stick
with the radio shack model.

Most of the humidity meters now in use in my house came with sub-$20 devices
that also include indoor/outdoor temperature, atomic-based clock, etc. They
seem to be pretty consistent among themselves, so they just might be pretty
accurate. One also does sunrise/sunset, tides, and barometer.

i'm using it to monitor the humidity in my project studio
and other places where i have things like acoustic
guitars, electronics.

I hear from professional piano and organ tuners that your concern with
humidity is a good choice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"cporro" wrote in message

my old radio shack humidity meter/thermometer needs a
battery change. then i thought maybe there is something
more accurate or has better features (like the ability to
log measurements). any recommendations? or should i stick
with the radio shack model.

Most of the humidity meters now in use in my house came with sub-$20 devices
that also include indoor/outdoor temperature, atomic-based clock, etc. They
seem to be pretty consistent among themselves, so they just might be pretty
accurate. One also does sunrise/sunset, tides, and barometer.

i'm using it to monitor the humidity in my project studio
and other places where i have things like acoustic
guitars, electronics.

I hear from professional piano and organ tuners that your concern with
humidity is a good choice.

When I need to check something I use this..
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/la...ers/elusb2.htm

greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cporro cporro is offline

When I need to check something I use this..http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/la...ers/elusb2.htm

hmm, that does look handy. i ordered it. the bk precision is going
back. its a nice unit and more accurate but i can't log anything.

i love the idea of leaving the Lascar EL-USB-2 anywhere and then
connecting it to my computer and printing out the data. i figured it
could log for around a year with no battery change (at hourly
intervals). ok, its not as accuate but it's way better then the
radioshack one. the ranges of RH where its most inaccurate are outside
of anything i'd see where i live. and its like $50 cheaper.

thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

cporro wrote:
When I need to check something I use this..http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/la...ers/elusb2.htm

hmm, that does look handy. i ordered it. the bk precision is going
back. its a nice unit and more accurate but i can't log anything.

i love the idea of leaving the Lascar EL-USB-2 anywhere and then
connecting it to my computer and printing out the data. i figured it
could log for around a year with no battery change (at hourly
intervals). ok, its not as accuate but it's way better then the
radioshack one. the ranges of RH where its most inaccurate are outside
of anything i'd see where i live. and its like $50 cheaper.

I have a very old Maxant hygrothermograph with a clockwork mechanism which
works very well but would probably be expensive to replace. I suggest
looking at these:

http://www.apsnyc.com/html/humidity.html#ISUZU

The Arten meter is very popular with film archivists, it's reasonably priced
and accurately calibrated.

Most of the digital recording gadgets have accurate temperature and less
than accurate humidity measurements. If you want real accuracy, you wind
up paying a lot of money. Hanwell makes a gadget called the Humbug which
the film archive guys like.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cporro cporro is offline

I have a very old Maxant hygrothermograph with a clockwork mechanism which
works very well but would probably be expensive to replace. I suggest
looking at these:

http://www.apsnyc.com/html/humidity.html#ISUZU

yikes. that will cut into my drywall and plywood budget. i'm not sure
i'm there yet. but let no one accuse you of not being into quality.

this thing i'm getting is plus or minus 3.5% for the middle range. i
guess i should have said i'm looking to spent $100 or less.

thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
cporro wrote:
I have a very old Maxant hygrothermograph with a clockwork mechanism which
works very well but would probably be expensive to replace. I suggest
looking at these:

http://www.apsnyc.com/html/humidity.html#ISUZU

yikes. that will cut into my drywall and plywood budget. i'm not sure
i'm there yet. but let no one accuse you of not being into quality.

this thing i'm getting is plus or minus 3.5% for the middle range. i
guess i should have said i'm looking to spent $100 or less.

No, no, look at the first thing on that page, the Arten unit for $55!
You don't need the fancy recording machine.