Louisiana Audiophile

Default $1200 for speaker cables?

http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if someone wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?
Jim Mauro

Actually, $1200.00 may be considered moderate by todays
standards. Speaker cables can easily run into 5 figures
in cost.

No, I can not afford, nor hear the difference, between a good
quality cable, and a super high-end big-dollar cable.

And, of course, you can add some esoteric cable elevators -
little porcelain cups with a 'U' shape on the top to lay the
cable in, thus elevating the cable off the floor. The "golden
ears" run out of breath spewing accolades on the wonders of
improved clarity, space, etc, produced by raising your speaker
cables a inch or so off the floor.

Sorry. I don't get it. No, I never actually auditioned cable
elevators...

/jim

Alan Browne wrote:

Louisiana Audiophile wrote:

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent
pre-amp/amp combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking
that "if someone wants to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him
something to blow it on"?

There are those who defend these "wonderful" cables but I rely on the
opinion of a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer, audiophile
and musician. I rely on him 'cause I can't hear the difference. And
it's the hearing that counts.

Others will reply to your/this thread that people with the right ear can
discriminate. So either it is hokum or they should only be bought by
people who *can* discriminate.

Of course, nobody who has plopped out the cash for these things would
admit that they cannot discriminate the difference.

MHO.

Cheers,
Alan.

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

In article , Louisiana Audiophile
says...
http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if someone wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?

First of all it's hard to call any amp in the $1,2k range
(especially adcom) decent and secondly $1,2k can't buy you even the
cheapest pair of some manufacturers cables.

--
"Transistors can be made to sound like tubes, digital can be made to
sound like analog, and cables can be made to sound like no cables.

Mike Prager

On the subject of high-priced cables, here is something I
found fascinating. Today, on Amazon.com, I searched for
"SACD" in the category "Electronics." There were 136 items
listed. Of the 20 highest priced items (more than $566 each),
19 were audio cables! The exception was a $999 Onkyo SACD
player.

Four sets of audio cables carried by Amazon were priced higher
than that Onkyo, their most costly SACD player.

This is not a tweak shop, it's one of the largest online
retailers. Is cable mania spreading, or is it just wishful
thinking on Amazon's part?

Mike Prager
North Carolina, USA
Steven Sullivan

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd wrote:
In article , Louisiana Audiophile
says...
http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if someone wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?

First of all it's hard to call any amp in the $1,2k range
(especially adcom) decent

Amps in the $1.2K range can be decent.

There, that was easy.

--
-S.

chung

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd wrote:
In article , Louisiana Audiophile
says...
http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if someone wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?

First of all it's hard to call any amp in the $1,2k range
(especially adcom) decent and secondly $1,2k can't buy you even the
cheapest pair of some manufacturers cables.

How did you come to the opinion that it's hard to call any amp in the
$1.2K range decent?

What is the magic number? $1.3K? $2K? $10K?

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

In article SbC2b.261773$YN5.180862@sccrnsc01, Yoan Paquet SbC2b.261773
$YN5.180862@sccrnsc01 says...
I'm not sure if some people can discriminate between good quality cables and
extremely expensive ones but by experience, I can say that there's a major
diferrence in output quality on my speakers (JLlab Cobalt 806) using
standard cables ($2/feet) and good ones like Cardas for example that cost me
about $200 for 16 feet. In store, I was not able to hear the difference
between the Cardas cables and cables selling for about $800.

Agreed, same opinion here.

You can't hear %$#& in the store because you're not familiar with the
system, the room and lost of other variables that count.

However, in my system, after listening to it for a month; i can clearly
hear a difference if a move a picture from one wall to another and not
to mention cable swaps, especially if the models are completely oposite
sounding (kimber vs. vdH for exmpl.).

Nice speakers, btw! I got some 706's

--
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
ICQ: 138579247

Tim Westmoreland

(Louisiana Audiophile) wrote in message ...
http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if someone wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?

They are probably charging this much in order to recoup some of the
R&D costs spent on development.

Michael Siemon

In article ,
(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:21:07 GMT,

(Tim Westmoreland) wrote:

(Louisiana Audiophile) wrote in message
http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent
pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if someone
wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?

They are probably charging this much in order to recoup some of the
R&D costs spent on development.

Excuse me? Since all cables sound the same (and properly conducted R&D
predicts that they will), just what 'development' is involved here?

Ummm; I'm pretty sure that was written with a very nice touch
of irony. Don't let the "debate" rob your of a sense of humor!
Bob Marcus

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:21:07 GMT,

(Tim Westmoreland) wrote:

(Louisiana Audiophile) wrote in message ...
http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if someone wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?

They are probably charging this much in order to recoup some of the
R&D costs spent on development.

Excuse me? Since all cables sound the same (and properly conducted R&D
predicts that they will), just what 'development' is involved here?

Trial and error? Those long-term listening sessions add up, and time
is money, you know!

Besides, Intro to Electronics textbooks have gotten really expensive
since you were in school.

bob

Curt Simon

Westmoreland) wrote:
(Louisiana Audiophile) wrote in message

http://www.audioconnect.com/html/sky.html

How in the world can a pair of *cables* cost the same as a decent

pre-amp/amp
combo (e.g., Adcom)? Or is this just marketing thinking that "if

someone wants
to blow this kind of cash, we'll give him something to blow it on"?

They are probably charging this much in order to recoup some of the
R&D costs spent on development.

Excuse me? Since all cables sound the same (and properly conducted R&D
predicts that they will), just what 'development' is involved here?

There must be a fair amount of investment in marketing. Of course, some
producers are likely to be luckier than others, and hit a gold mine after
only one try! But others must agonize for months or even years: Light
emitting cables? Water jackets? 18 9's copper? Or silver? Or platinum?!
Full-page advert? Which 'zines? What kind of website design? Who to write
the white papers? Which shows to attend? Which dealers to hit? What
ancillary components to use? You want to sell $10,000 cables, you'd better
have $100,000 or more in electronics -- hardly a minor cost. I imagine, too,
that considerable interpersonal skills are necesary to convince dealers to
take on your line and to convince consumers whom one might encounter that
you are the real deal.

Ever since I made a pair of interconnects out of magnet wire and Radio Shack
RCA plugs (thanks to Art Dudley!), I've been out of the cable game. But let
us not lose our respect for those in the high(-end) wire game!

Curt Simon