Dennis Moore

Default rec.audio.dbt

Do you think the name of RAHE could be changed to
rec.audio.dbt?

Sure seems that by far the great bulk of the messages end
up about dbt's. You could look with that 95% confidence
you will mostly be reading about dbts. Pro's and cons, believers
and non-believers etc. etc.

How about it? Would be more honest than calling it high-end
when the practices of the high-end industry are regularly
denigrated by posters here. And the moderators don't seem to
be high-enders for the most part.

[Moderator's Note: That's news to us. RD]

A simple change in the FAQ could make it all clear too.

Seriously,
Dennis

Bob Marcus

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message news:xmg0b.149774$Oz4.41175@rwcrnsc54...
Do you think the name of RAHE could be changed to
rec.audio.dbt?

Looks like this wasn't an original idea of yours. :-)

Sure seems that by far the great bulk of the messages end
up about dbt's. You could look with that 95% confidence
you will mostly be reading about dbts. Pro's and cons, believers
and non-believers etc. etc.

Since the beginning of August, according to Google, there have been
197 posts that contained any of the terms ABX, DBT, or blind. There
have been 603 posts that contained the word "the." This surely
understates the incidence of posts on the topic, but I think a safe
estimate would be that if you picked a random post, you'd have only
about a 50-50 chance of running into one on the Great Debate in any of
its forms.

Furthermore, these posts are concentrated in very few threads. I count
fewer than 15 of the last 100 active threads that, based on their
subject line (and my recollection of them) would have discussed this
topic at any length.

That's no accident. RAHE does have a rule against posts on this
subject in threads otherwise unrelated to it. Now, that's a tough line
to draw, but it clearly has an effect.

Finally, take a look at those offending threads. For the most part,
they are started by the very people who object to all this
objectivism. Others are started by people asking "Why biwire?" and
"Can amp stands make a difference?" Surely the results of blind tests
on those very questions are a legitimate response.

How about it? Would be more honest than calling it high-end
when the practices of the high-end industry are regularly
denigrated by posters here.

Who says the high-end industry should own the term "high end"? This
newsgroup is about optimizing the reproduction of sound, especially
music. To the extent that members of the self-styled "high-end"
industry produce less than optimal products, shouldn't they be
denigrated? Or would you prefer that posts only be allowed by industry
shills? By the way, this group is currently open to posts *defending*
the high-end industry. Perhaps you'd like to step up to the plate.

And the moderators don't seem to
be high-enders for the most part.

[Moderator's Note: That's news to us. RD]

A simple change in the FAQ could make it all clear too.

Seriously,
Dennis

Get serious.

bob

Arny Krueger

"Dennis Moore" wrote in message

Do you think the name of RAHE could be changed to
rec.audio.dbt?

I agree with you. Or rec.audio.same-old-arguments.

Sure seems that by far the great bulk of the messages end
up about dbt's.

Mostly originating from failed attempts to criticize DBTs.

You could look with that 95% confidence
you will mostly be reading about dbts. Pro's and cons, believers
and non-believers etc. etc.

Just to make a point, what does it mean to not believe in DBTs? If someone
believes in God, that means that he believes that God exists. Is there
anyone who seriously doesn't believe in the existence of DBTs?

How about it? Would be more honest than calling it high-end
when the practices of the high-end industry are regularly
denigrated by posters here.

Is that denigrated or criticized? It seems like criticism of *any* audio
segment is conceivably on-topic here.

And the moderators don't seem to
be high-enders for the most part.

Say what?

[Moderator's Note: That's news to us. RD]

A simple change in the FAQ could make it all clear too.

Without compromising the right to free speech on the part of the same old,
same old people who start these threads?

Steven Sullivan

Dennis Moore wrote:
Do you think the name of RAHE could be changed to
rec.audio.dbt?

Sure seems that by far the great bulk of the messages end
up about dbt's. You could look with that 95% confidence
you will mostly be reading about dbts. Pro's and cons, believers
and non-believers etc. etc.

How about it? Would be more honest than calling it high-end
when the practices of the high-end industry are regularly
denigrated by posters here. And the moderators don't seem to
be high-enders for the most part.

[Moderator's Note: That's news to us. RD]

A simple change in the FAQ could make it all clear too.

Good idea! And how about rec.audio.sour-grapes for posts like yours, then?

The high-end discussion that goes on here is *far* more valuable
than what you'll find elsewhere, if only you realized it.

--
-S.

David E. Bath

In article 44t0b.201267$YN5.140159@sccrnsc01,
"Dennis Moore"

Date: 8/18/03 7:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time

wrote:
Do you think the name of RAHE could be changed to
rec.audio.dbt?

Sure seems that by far the great bulk of the messages end
up about dbt's. You could look with that 95% confidence
you will mostly be reading about dbts. Pro's and cons, believers
and non-believers etc. etc.

How about it? Would be more honest than calling it high-end
when the practices of the high-end industry are regularly
denigrated by posters here. And the moderators don't seem to
be high-enders for the most part.

[Moderator's Note: That's news to us. RD]

Agreed, I certainly consider myself and Renaud to be "high-enders",
that's one of the main reasons we started reading the group and then
volunteered to be moderators.

A simple change in the FAQ could make it all clear too.

Dennis makes a good point. How about establishing a "rec.audio.dbt" for this
endless debate and keeping it out of rec.audio.high-end.

I myself feel it's a totally appropriate topic for RAHE. As mentioned
by others, it's not the DBT advocates that are the ones keeping the
debate "eternal" since they have not started any of the current
threads. And there is an ongoing moratorium on injecting DBT into
threads that aren't about it or have it invoked by the con-DBT side.
That's as far as I personally am willing to go. Some of the ones who
were the most vocal against DBT discussion on the rahe-discuss list
have actually started DBT threads, so they have no one to blame but
themselves.

That would make this a
more audiophile-friendly site and give the hardcore debaters their own
(unmoderated?) site

I disagree that the group is currenly less than friendly to
audiophiles.

What do you think, moderators?

Anyone who wants to start a new group, please feel free to do so. I
myself don't see the need, but I will not oppose it.

Regards,
Mike

--
David Bath - RAHE co-moderator

Rajappa Iyer

(David E. Bath) writes:

I myself feel it's a totally appropriate topic for RAHE. As mentioned
by others, it's not the DBT advocates that are the ones keeping the
debate "eternal" since they have not started any of the current
threads. And there is an ongoing moratorium on injecting DBT into
threads that aren't about it or have it invoked by the con-DBT side.
That's as far as I personally am willing to go. Some of the ones who
were the most vocal against DBT discussion on the rahe-discuss list
have actually started DBT threads, so they have no one to blame but
themselves.

Would you consider expressing an opinion such as "SACD sounds great"
as inviting a discussion on DBT? If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues. I mean,
it would be nice to discuss the merits and demerits of different
equipment / media without having to be constantly and repeatedly
subjected to the same old mantras (e.g. "since you did not have a
controlled test, you imagined the differences") harangues.)

more audiophile-friendly site and give the hardcore debaters their own
(unmoderated?) site

I disagree that the group is currenly less than friendly to
audiophiles.

Well, it certainly is far less interesting to read as a result of the
preponderance of DBT threads. More importantly, it's far less useful to
read. If we believe that objective measurements are the entire story,
then we might as well pack it in. Most of the mass market electronics
have equal, if not better, objective measurements. Which does beg the
question: what is so high end about high end?

rsi
--
a.k.a. Rajappa Iyer.
Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder.
David E. Bath

In article ,
Rajappa Iyer writes:
(David E. Bath) writes:

I myself feel it's a totally appropriate topic for RAHE. As mentioned
by others, it's not the DBT advocates that are the ones keeping the
debate "eternal" since they have not started any of the current
threads. And there is an ongoing moratorium on injecting DBT into
threads that aren't about it or have it invoked by the con-DBT side.
That's as far as I personally am willing to go. Some of the ones who
were the most vocal against DBT discussion on the rahe-discuss list
have actually started DBT threads, so they have no one to blame but
themselves.

Would you consider expressing an opinion such as "SACD sounds great"
as inviting a discussion on DBT?

No. What was agreed upon is if the post said something like "and I
don't need a DBT to prove it", then we would allow the pro-DBT folks
to respond.

If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues. I mean,
it would be nice to discuss the merits and demerits of different
equipment / media without having to be constantly and repeatedly
subjected to the same old mantras (e.g. "since you did not have a
controlled test, you imagined the differences") harangues.)

That is exactly what was agreed to, a subjective discussion of
equipment will be left alone as long as they leave blind testing out
of it.

more audiophile-friendly site and give the hardcore debaters their own
(unmoderated?) site

I disagree that the group is currenly less than friendly to
audiophiles.

Well, it certainly is far less interesting to read as a result of the
preponderance of DBT threads.

As has been mentioned, go to groups.google.com and look at the
current DBT threads, 99% have been started by the anti-DBT crowd.

More importantly, it's far less useful to
read.

That's your opinion, but obviously not everyone's or there wouldn't be
any DBT threads.

If we believe that objective measurements are the entire story,
then we might as well pack it in. Most of the mass market electronics
have equal, if not better, objective measurements. Which does beg the
question: what is so high end about high end?

A good subject for a thread IMHO.

Wylie Williams

"Rajappa Iyer" wrote
Would you consider expressing an opinion such as "SACD sounds great"
as inviting a discussion on DBT?

Obviously, and fortunately no documentation to prove that is needed beyond
RAHE itself.

If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues.

Nothing.

I mean, it would be nice to discuss the merits and demerits of different
equipment / media without having to be constantly and repeatedly
subjected to the same old mantras (e.g. "since you did not have a
controlled test, you imagined the differences") harangues.)

Yes, it would be nice, wouldn't it.

Wylie Williams.

chung

Rajappa Iyer wrote:

Would you consider expressing an opinion such as "SACD sounds great"
as inviting a discussion on DBT?

Only if you want to explain *why* it sounds great, and your explanation
does not make any technical sense. It's perfectly OK to say you like
SACD's and tell us which equipment or recordings sound great, and I
think there is value in that. But if you were to say that SACD sounds so
much better because it has a bandwidth exceeding 20KHz, then the natural
question is why would anything above 20KHz make a difference. The
discussion will likely move on to establishing human audibility limits,
etc., and DBT is one way of establishing these limits.

If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues. I mean,
it would be nice to discuss the merits and demerits of different
equipment / media without having to be constantly and repeatedly
subjected to the same old mantras (e.g. "since you did not have a
controlled test, you imagined the differences") harangues.)

Well, if you insist that cable A makes a night and day difference
relative to cable B, then what would you expect the response to be?

There are many interesting things that can be discussed without bringing
up DBT. The recent discussion on speaker design is a great example. Even
comparing TOSLINK vs coax does not require DBT's, unless you want to go
that way.

more audiophile-friendly site and give the hardcore debaters their own
(unmoderated?) site

I disagree that the group is currenly less than friendly to
audiophiles.

Well, it certainly is far less interesting to read as a result of the
preponderance of DBT threads. More importantly, it's far less useful to
read.

There are many other sites that you can discuss the cable sound to your
heart's content. There are even sites where DBT discussion are banned.
Why not take advantage of those venues?

If we believe that objective measurements are the entire story,
then we might as well pack it in.

Typical strawman. Many of us have said that whatever methods you use to
choose your equipment is OK. There are many factors, besides objective
measurements, that go into the purchase decision.

Most of the mass market electronics
have equal, if not better, objective measurements.

Can you give some examples? Are you confusing specs with measurements?

And more importantly, isn't it nice to know if mass market electronics
can outperform exoteric gear?

Which does beg the
question: what is so high end about high end?

It is about accurate reproduction of sound, and not about the price of
the equipment.

rsi

Dennis Moore writes:
Do you think the name of RAHE could be changed to
rec.audio.dbt?

Sure seems that by far the great bulk of the messages end
up about dbt's.

I don't think that's true, judging by posting volume.

You could look with that 95% confidence you will mostly be reading
about dbts. Pro's and cons, believers and non-believers etc. etc.

How about it? Would be more honest than calling it high-end
when the practices of the high-end industry are regularly
denigrated by posters here.

Well, that's good, isn't it? Seems to me like this is one of the very
few places where the more outlandish claims of that industry are
treated with due skepticism.

Firstly, you don't have to agree with everything the high-end industry
does to be a fan of high-end audio reproduction.

Secondly, surely the question of whether or not claims about the
properties of "high end" audio equipment might be subject to rational
inquiry is of pivotal importance. The high-end magazines have already
made their decision, but we don't have to follow like sheep.

Finally, this group is for discussion of "high-end audio systems", not
just praise. Opposing arguments are equally on-topic.

Andrew.
Bob Marcus

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message news:5HC0b.204489$YN5.143391@sccrnsc01...
"Rajappa Iyer" wrote
Would you consider expressing an opinion such as "SACD sounds great"
as inviting a discussion on DBT?

Obviously, and fortunately no documentation to prove that is needed beyond
RAHE itself.

If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues.

Nothing.

Shame on you, Wylie. You yourself started a thread on Aug. 3 entitled,
"Competent design." Of almost 90 posts so far, only one uses any of
the terms DBT, ABX, or blind. So what are you complaining about?

bob

Steven Sullivan

Wylie Williams wrote:
"Rajappa Iyer" wrote
Would you consider expressing an opinion such as "SACD sounds great"
as inviting a discussion on DBT?

Obviously, and fortunately no documentation to prove that is needed beyond
RAHE itself.

If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues.

Nothing.

And you base this on your long experience here, yes?

I mean, it would be nice to discuss the merits and demerits of different
equipment / media without having to be constantly and repeatedly
subjected to the same old mantras (e.g. "since you did not have a
controlled test, you imagined the differences") harangues.)

Yes, it would be nice, wouldn't it.

At core, it seems to me that there's an unwillingness on the part of
*subjectivists* to acknowledge uncertainty. If subjectivists were
to write, 'SACDs sound great! Don't know if it's the format or the
mastering, though" or "These new cables certainly seem to make a difference!
I could be wrong, though." They'd almost certainly get *no*
flak from skeptics. Subjectivists seem simply unwilling to
acknowledge the existence of perceptual error.

"Objectivists" are unwilling to acknowledge that (sighted)
'hearing is believing' in many cases. But in this case, they
have good scientific backing for it: the mounds of data
confirming the existence of perceptual error.

--
-S.

Richard D Pierce

Dennis Moore writes:
How about it? Would be more honest than calling it high-end
when the practices of the high-end industry are regularly
denigrated by posters here.

Well, I guess that sort of single me out as one of the offenders
in your eyes. I certainly admit to being one of the more vocal
critics of the high-end priest's mystiques.

But let's look at some of the charges. Claims are made about the
relevance of the high-end in the audio marketplace, in direct
contravention to the real economic data that CLEARLY shows that
is a miniscule part of the whole and losing ground all the time.

And what about the charges of witchcraft and flim-flammery. It
seems the high-end community, when confronted with the nonsense
it propogates about, say, green CD pens and the like, react with
denial or indignation. The high-end community can't admit that
the green-pen CD craze started as an April fool's joke some
years ago then took on a life of its own. The same with
"optical impedance matching CD fluid." And we have blue LED
dithering CD players and magic pucks and all the rest.
Physician, heal thyself first.

And my oft made charge about the high-end industry being decades
behind the technological state of the art? Well, why don't you
educate yourself on the topic: look at the claims being made
about the "discovery" of jitter, and then take a look at the
numerous technical articles on the topic from back in the late
1950's and 1960's. Look at the tpoic of dither, definitely
researched 40 years ago. Look at the AES in the late 1970's
regarding many of the issues just now being addressed as "new"
discoveries.

It seems many in the high-end industry do NOT like being told
their little sandbox stinks. Maybe the way to deal with it is
NOT to bury one's head along with the cat droppings, but maybe
to start identifying and scooping out the cat poop.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
Wylie Williams

If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues.

Answer by Wylie Willioams
Nothing

"Bob Marcus" wrote .

Shame on you, Wylie. You yourself started a thread on Aug. 3 entitled,
"Competent design." Of almost 90 posts so far, only one uses any of
the terms DBT, ABX, or blind. So what are you complaining about?

Bob,
I am not complaining; I am being blunt. RAHE is what it is, and that means
that any thread is read by all the regulars, which includes a group of very
active DBT adherents. You are right about the "competent thread" thread; it
did not turn into a DBT debate. I was surprised that it didn't, but it could
have morphed into one in an eyeblink. No participant can control the
newsgroup free from DBT must seek elsewhere. I should have sent the
originator of that question some info on alternatives. RAHE may be free of
vicious flame wars found elsewhere, but the posts are still allowed to be of
a nature that upsets thin-skinned people. For example, some people are not
accustomed to being told they are wrong or being reffered to in any negative
way for their statements, and are recoil when it happens.
Wylie

Steven Sullivan

Wylie Williams wrote:
If so, I'm at a loss to understand
what exactly can be discussed without inviting DBT harangues.

Answer by Wylie Willioams
Nothing

"Bob Marcus" wrote .

Shame on you, Wylie. You yourself started a thread on Aug. 3 entitled,
"Competent design." Of almost 90 posts so far, only one uses any of
the terms DBT, ABX, or blind. So what are you complaining about?

Bob,
I am not complaining; I am being blunt. RAHE is what it is, and that means
that any thread is read by all the regulars, which includes a group of very
active DBT adherents.

It also includes a group of very active DBT opponents, in case you hadn't
noticed. Curiously, they seem to be more active at actually starting threads
about DBT and ABX and related topics, than the pro-DBT/ABX folks are.

You are right about the "competent thread" thread; it
did not turn into a DBT debate. I was surprised that it didn't, but it could
have morphed into one in an eyeblink.

And this bothers you?

No participant can control the
newsgroup free from DBT must seek elsewhere.

And to that I say: Bravo RAHE!

I should have sent the
originator of that question some info on alternatives. RAHE may be free of
vicious flame wars found elsewhere, but the posts are still allowed to be of
a nature that upsets thin-skinned people. For example, some people are not
accustomed to being told they are wrong or being reffered to in any negative
way for their statements, and are recoil when it happens.

You don't say!

--
-S.

Mkuller

mkuller wrpte:
How about establishing a "rec.audio.dbt" for this
endless debate and keeping it out of rec.audio.high-end. That would make

this a
more audiophile-friendly site and give the hardcore debaters their own
(unmoderated?) site

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
How about keeping it in for those *real* audiophiles who are actually
interested in sound quality, not just fancy front panels and
loony-tunes cabling with luxury car price tags?

The universe of "real" audiophiles interested in sound quality as determined by
blind testing is very small - maybe a dozen, if postings here are any
indication - out of a universe of say, 80,000 subscribers to Stereophile
magazine. I identify "real" audiophiles as those who are interested enough to
keep up with the latest High End equipment and goings-on in the industry.

No doubt your mission on RAHE is to convice the other 79,988 of your dogma
since you have stated as much before. Be my guest....
Regards,
Mike
Richard D Pierce

In article ,
Wylie Williams wrote:
I am not complaining; I am being blunt.

How about being honest?

RAHE is what it is, and that means
that any thread is read by all the regulars, which includes a group of very
active DBT adherents.

Why are you ignoring the contrinutions of very active
anti-objectivity activitists, some of whom are responsible for
starting a seemingly disproportionate number of the threads?

Or are you simply interested in a forum that supresses any
viewpoints you find uncomfortable? Do you have a problem with
your position living or dying on its own merits, not artifically
sustained by the life support of censorship of opposing views?

You are right about the "competent thread" thread; it
did not turn into a DBT debate. I was surprised that it didn't, but it could
have morphed into one in an eyeblink. No participant can control the

False, post nonsense, and you'll be told it's nonsense.

Anyone seeking a
newsgroup free from DBT must seek elsewhere.

Ah, so it IS censorship and acontrolled, sterile community that
you are interested in!

I should have sent the
originator of that question some info on alternatives. RAHE may be free of
vicious flame wars found elsewhere, but the posts are still allowed to be of
a nature that upsets thin-skinned people. For example, some people are not
accustomed to being told they are wrong or being reffered to in any negative
way for their statements, and are recoil when it happens.

So, if you say something that is wrong, you want it to be right,
and don't want to be told it's wrong. What sort of mamby-pamby
world do you want to live in? People post nonsense about
"current amplifiers" and assume since THEY believe it works the
way they think with all their hearts, it doesn't make ANY
difference if the physical reality is something quite different.
Too bad for your ilk that speakers and amplifiers and cables and
magic green pens and wooden hockey pucks don't give two shakes
what you or anyone else believes.

There's a physical reality out there that could care less about
high-end mythology. And the fact that there are people who want
to be insulated from that reality and its consequences is but
one reason why the high-end is become less of a field and more
of a joke.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |
All Ears

snip

People post nonsense about
"current amplifiers" and assume since THEY believe it works the
way they think with all their hearts, it doesn't make ANY
difference if the physical reality is something quite different.

Mr. Pierce,

Then please explain what an amplifier with these specifications does?

Output power 150 W rms
Input sensitivity 1.0 V rms for 150 W into 8 Ohms
0.9 V rms for 150 W into 4 Ohms
Voltage gain 39.7 V (32.0 dB) into 16 Ohms
34.4 V (30.7 dB) into 8 Ohms
27.1 V (28.7 dB) into 4 Ohms
17.2 V (24.7 dB) into 2 Ohms

KE

S888Wheel

At core, it seems to me that there's an unwillingness on the part of
*subjectivists* to acknowledge uncertainty. If subjectivists were
to write, 'SACDs sound great! Don't know if it's the format or the
mastering, though" or "These new cables certainly seem to make a difference!
difference!
I could be wrong, though."

I think you paint subjectivists with a bit of a broad brush here.

They'd almost certainly get *no*
flak from skeptics.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Subjectivists seem simply unwilling to
acknowledge the existence of perceptual error.

Some, certainly. All, certainly not. One could say the same of some
objectivists who seem to feel any comment on the sound of almost any component
besides a speaker isn't just subject to lack of certainty but is certain to be
meaningless. Both sides of this debate seem to have their militant radicals.

"Objectivists" are unwilling to acknowledge that (sighted)
'hearing is believing' in many cases. But in this case, they
have good scientific backing for it: the mounds of data
confirming the existence of perceptual error.

Uncertain perceptions are not the same as wortless ones. Science does support
the notion that sighted biases can influence one's perceptions. It does not
support the notion, some seem to hold, that such influence renders all sighted
sonic impressions meaningless.

chung

All Ears wrote:
snip

People post nonsense about
"current amplifiers" and assume since THEY believe it works the
way they think with all their hearts, it doesn't make ANY
difference if the physical reality is something quite different.

Mr. Pierce,

Then please explain what an amplifier with these specifications does?

Output power 150 W rms
Input sensitivity 1.0 V rms for 150 W into 8 Ohms
0.9 V rms for 150 W into 4 Ohms
Voltage gain 39.7 V (32.0 dB) into 16 Ohms
34.4 V (30.7 dB) into 8 Ohms
27.1 V (28.7 dB) into 4 Ohms
17.2 V (24.7 dB) into 2 Ohms

KE

Clearly not a current amplifier. If it were, the voltage gain will be
halved when the load drops from 16 ohms to 8 ohms.

This is a poorly designed voltage amplifier that has an output
resistance of approximately 3 ohms.

If you like the way this amp sounds, try connecting a 3 ohm resistor
(make it high wattage to be safe) in series with each of a solid state
amp's outputs. A receiver would be perfect for this purpose. You will
most likely find the sound very similar. The 3 ohm output resistance
will cause all kinds of frequency response irregularities when driving
real speakers, hence the particular sound that distinguishes it from a
competently designed amp.

I hope you did not pay much for this amp. On the other hand, such is
high-end.....

By the way, the unit for voltage gain is not V. Try V/V, or simply leave
it without dimension. It is a ratio.

Once again, you show your vulnerability to high-end marketing. Now,
aren't you glad that this newsgroup is accessible to you?

Nousaine

mkuller wrpte:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
How about keeping it in for those *real* audiophiles who are actually
interested in sound quality, not just fancy front panels and
loony-tunes cabling with luxury car price tags?

The universe of "real" audiophiles interested in sound quality as determined
by
blind testing is very small - maybe a dozen, if postings here are any
indication - out of a universe of say, 80,000 subscribers to Stereophile
magazine.

The population must surely include the 500,000 Sound & Vision subscribers as
well. And the membership of the AES. Don't forget the 100 SMWTMS members, the
30 PSACS members and the 200 BAS Members.

But you should restrict yourself to the RAHE posters and lurkers. I'm guessing
there are more interested in bias controlled listening tests than there are who
just wish controlled listenign tests would just go away because they just don't
like that reflection in that mirror.

I identify "real" audiophiles as those who are interested enough
keep up with the latest High End equipment and goings-on in the industry.

"Real" audiophiles want the best sound quality they can get and generally shy
away from the High-End where resources are squandered on things that have no or
detrimental effect on sound quality.

No doubt your mission on RAHE is to convice the other 79,988 of your dogma
since you have stated as much before. Be my guest....
Regards,
Mike

Dogma? Look in that mirror

Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:
At core, it seems to me that there's an unwillingness on the part of
*subjectivists* to acknowledge uncertainty. If subjectivists were
to write, 'SACDs sound great! Don't know if it's the format or the
mastering, though" or "These new cables certainly seem to make a difference!
difference!
I could be wrong, though."

I think you paint subjectivists with a bit of a broad brush here.

When they start acknowledging the possibility of perceptual bias when they
make their endless reports of audible difference, maybe I'll narrow
it down. IME , the number who do is a miniscule fraction of the breed.

They'd almost certainly get *no*
flak from skeptics.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Subjectivists seem simply unwilling to
acknowledge the existence of perceptual error.

Some, certainly. All, certainly not.

Well, there's a reason I didn't write the word *all*.

One could say the same of some
objectivists who seem to feel any comment on the sound of almost any component
besides a speaker isn't just subject to lack of certainty but is certain to be
meaningless. Both sides of this debate seem to have their militant radicals.

Well, let's see, we have speakers, cartridges, digital players, amps, preamps,
and cables. Those are the essence of most 'high end' systems today. Of those,
only speakers and cartridges can be *expected* from physical principles to sound
different given competent design and normal use. And the others *are* expected to
produce 'uncertain' results in sighted tests.

"Objectivists" are unwilling to acknowledge that (sighted)
'hearing is believing' in many cases. But in this case, they
have good scientific backing for it: the mounds of data
confirming the existence of perceptual error.

Uncertain perceptions are not the same as wortless ones. Science does support
the notion that sighted biases can influence one's perceptions. It does not
support the notion, some seem to hold, that such influence renders all sighted
sonic impressions meaningless.

What 'meaning' do they have? The 'impressions' might be accurate; or they might not
be. That's as far as you can get, without some *other* principle or data to support the
comment. Alas, this is true even if *lots* of subjectivists report similar
'impressions', since we can't know how independent the reports are.

As far I know, *I'm* the only one on any forum I've seen who has called such
impressions 'meaningless' btw. And I *always* try to couch my own 'impressions' of
component sound in terms that acknoweldge uncertainty.

--
-S.
Stewart Pinkerton

mkuller wrpte:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
How about keeping it in for those *real* audiophiles who are actually
interested in sound quality, not just fancy front panels and
loony-tunes cabling with luxury car price tags?

The universe of "real" audiophiles interested in sound quality as determined by
blind testing is very small - maybe a dozen, if postings here are any
indication - out of a universe of say, 80,000 subscribers to Stereophile
magazine.

There will of course be a significantly larger number who are
interested in sound quality rather than just flashy goods.

I identify "real" audiophiles as those who are interested enough to
keep up with the latest High End equipment and goings-on in the industry.

I identify 'real' audiophiles as those who are aware of what a pool of
stinking snake oil the self-appointed 'high end' industry really is,
and have both the will and the ability to pick out top-class products
from the scams such as 'audiophile' cabling.

No doubt your mission on RAHE is to convice the other 79,988 of your dogma
since you have stated as much before. Be my guest....

Dogma would be an expression of blind faith, such as *your* belief in
cable sound. I prefer reality. I simply say 'trust your ears'. Not
your *eyes*, just your ears......

Stewart Pinkerton

On 21 Aug 2003 00:02:47 GMT, "All Ears" wrote:

snip

People post nonsense about
"current amplifiers" and assume since THEY believe it works the
way they think with all their hearts, it doesn't make ANY
difference if the physical reality is something quite different.

Mr. Pierce,

Then please explain what an amplifier with these specifications does?

Output power 150 W rms
Input sensitivity 1.0 V rms for 150 W into 8 Ohms
0.9 V rms for 150 W into 4 Ohms
Voltage gain 39.7 V (32.0 dB) into 16 Ohms
34.4 V (30.7 dB) into 8 Ohms
27.1 V (28.7 dB) into 4 Ohms
17.2 V (24.7 dB) into 2 Ohms

It is a voltage source with a poor power supply and/or excessive
output impedance of a couple of ohms. Could well be a tube amp. BTW,
you don't mean voltage gain, you mean voltage output.

If it were a good current source, it would put out 6dB less for each
halving of load impedance, i.e.

37dB into 16 ohms
31 dB into 8 ohms
25dB into 4 ohms
19dB into 2 ohms

All Ears

"chung" wrote in message
All Ears wrote:
snip

People post nonsense about
"current amplifiers" and assume since THEY believe it works the
way they think with all their hearts, it doesn't make ANY
difference if the physical reality is something quite different.

Mr. Pierce,

Then please explain what an amplifier with these specifications does?

Output power 150 W rms
Input sensitivity 1.0 V rms for 150 W into 8 Ohms
0.9 V rms for 150 W into 4 Ohms
Voltage gain 39.7 V (32.0 dB) into 16 Ohms
34.4 V (30.7 dB) into 8 Ohms
27.1 V (28.7 dB) into 4 Ohms
17.2 V (24.7 dB) into 2 Ohms

KE

Clearly not a current amplifier. If it were, the voltage gain will be
halved when the load drops from 16 ohms to 8 ohms.

But it is not a conventional voltage amplifier either. I know it is designed
in an attempt to "simulate" and probably improve what a tube amplifier does.

This is a poorly designed voltage amplifier that has an output
resistance of approximately 3 ohms.

If you like the way this amp sounds, try connecting a 3 ohm resistor
(make it high wattage to be safe) in series with each of a solid state
amp's outputs. A receiver would be perfect for this purpose. You will
most likely find the sound very similar. The 3 ohm output resistance
will cause all kinds of frequency response irregularities when driving
real speakers, hence the particular sound that distinguishes it from a
competently designed amp.

The only part of this amplifier I like, is the way it handles the bass area.

I hope you did not pay much for this amp. On the other hand, such is
high-end.....

I am evaluating it as a possible interesting product.

By the way, the unit for voltage gain is not V. Try V/V, or simply leave
it without dimension. It is a ratio.

Right.

Once again, you show your vulnerability to high-end marketing. Now,
aren't you glad that this newsgroup is accessible to you?

Of course I am happy to be able to discuss things like this, with
knowledgeable people.

KE

All Ears

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
[...]

I think that they might have discovered that a "pure current source" did not
work too well with dynamic speakers?

Wylie Williams

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote
I identify 'real' audiophiles as those who are aware of what a pool of
stinking snake oil the self-appointed 'high end' industry really is,

Although you eschew saying "all", the figure of speech you use and the
picture it paints seems to place every single member of the "high end"
industry in the same pool. ("Snake oil' means a product that is worthless to
the buyer, right?.) You create a striking image, for which I congratulate
you. Do you, mean to imply "all". Surely you will allow for some
percentage of the members of the industry to be honest. Of course I don't
know every member of the industry, but I am unwilling on general principles
to believe that all of them are selling products that they know to be
completely worthless.

and have both the will and the ability to pick out top-class products
from the scams such as 'audiophile' cabling.

If having the will and ability rely on listening to components, reading
reviews, and conferring with other self aoppointed audiophiles then I am an
audiophile. If following correct testing methodology is required then I lack
the ability. Should I try to acquire the ability? I lack the will. As a
"technically challenged" (as I was called when new to RAHE, where newcomers
are graciously greeted) participant on RAHE I see a lot of wrangling about
testing that makes me wonder who to believe. People who seem to be experts
debate each other's abilities at length, and those of us who are not experts
can only sit back and wonder how to sort it out. So by the standards of the
typical audiophile I am one. I believe that by your standards I am not one.
And all this time I thought I was.

Wylie Williams

chung

All Ears wrote:

I think that they might have discovered that a "pure current source" did not
work too well with dynamic speakers?

"Discovered"? You have to be kidding. No one uses a pure current source
to drive speakers. It is like saying that "someone might have discovered
that Ohm's Law apply to audio engineering".
Richard D Pierce

In article kS61b.217137$Ho3.28451@sccrnsc03,
All Ears wrote:
Mr. Pierce,
Then please explain what an amplifier with these specifications does?

Output power 150 W rms
Input sensitivity 1.0 V rms for 150 W into 8 Ohms
0.9 V rms for 150 W into 4 Ohms
Voltage gain 39.7 V (32.0 dB) into 16 Ohms
34.4 V (30.7 dB) into 8 Ohms
27.1 V (28.7 dB) into 4 Ohms
17.2 V (24.7 dB) into 2 Ohms

It's not a "current amplifier" in the snese that you use it
because you use the terminology quite incorrectly.

It is a power amplifier acting as a poor voltage source because
of its excessively high output impedance, or it is a power
amplifier acticting as a poor current source becasue of its
excessively low output impedance.

You might ask which is it? Well, technically speaking, it's
both: the two are utterly equivalent in a strict technical
sense. Now, that may not reconcile well with your understanding
of the of the term "current source," and it may contradict some
manufacturer or another's advertised claims, but, let me assure
you, the fault lies with your undewrstanding or that
manufacturers claims.

But it is not a conventional voltage amplifier either. I know it is designed
in an attempt to "simulate" and probably improve what a tube amplifier does.

Yes, it most assuredly is. YOUR problem is that you simply do
not understand what the terms mean. This amplifier IS a "voltage
amplifier" it most assuredly is. Because if you put 1 volt in,
it produces more than 1 volt out into its nominal rated
impedance.

But you seem not to understand what is meant by a "voltage
source" or a "current source," and, I fear, you don't WANT to
know, because you've been told in the kindest of fashions and
still you persist in this misunderstanding. I can't help that
any further, sorry.

This is a poorly designed voltage amplifier that has an output
resistance of approximately 3 ohms.

Or, a poorly designed current source with an output impedance of
3 ohms.

The only part of this amplifier I like, is the way it handles the bass area.

Them I wouyld submit, what that STRONGLY indicates is you like
the fact that this amplifier introduces a sizeable frequency
response boost at the speakers fundamental resonance due to the
large rise in impedance there, and, with that much output
impedance is ALSO underdamping the speaker in a possibly
significant fashion, which makes that hump in the frequency
response larger.

You may not like being told that that's what's happening, but
whether you like it or not, that IS what's happening. You're
fine to like that all you want. I'm not going to pass judgement
on whetner that's a good thing or a bad thing, but a significant
boost in the low frequency response IS what this amplifier
introduces. It's a tone control. If you like its effect, fine, I
have no objection.

What I object to is your confused technical explanation for
what's really going on.

Of course I am happy to be able to discuss things like this, with
knowledgeable people.

Then how about tryingh to learn from some of them. You continue
to hold on to this very incorrect view of what "voltage"
"current" and "power" means, and incorrect notions of what
"source" and "amplification" mean.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |

Richard D Pierce

All Ears wrote:

I think that they might have discovered that a "pure current source" did not
work too well with dynamic speakers?

No, really? How proud must they be to have discovered what was
well known by electrical engineers more than 70 years ago! How
smart they must feel having discovered what almost every audio
manufacturer on this planet knows!

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |
Bob Marcus

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message ...

If having the will and ability rely on listening to components, reading
reviews, and conferring with other self aoppointed audiophiles then I am an
audiophile.

I'll buy that. But I'd recommend a little education beyond those
bounds, as well.

If following correct testing methodology is required then I lack
the ability.

It doesn't require that at all. (And you actually do have the ability,
although it takes a little trouble.) If you're pursuing "better
sound," however you define that, I'd say you're an audiophile. Now, if
you want to be a *smart* audiophile, I'd say it'd be a good idea to at
least be aware of the differences between various "testing
methodologies," and their implications. That will help you decide how
much credence to give to those reviewers and other self-appointed
audiophiles.

bob
All Ears

"chung" wrote in message
All Ears wrote:

I think that they might have discovered that a "pure current source" did

not
work too well with dynamic speakers?

"Discovered"? You have to be kidding. No one uses a pure current source
to drive speakers. It is like saying that "someone might have discovered
that Ohm's Law apply to audio engineering".

I get the feeling that these guys should possibly stick to the digital
stuff, which they do very well

KE

Richard D Pierce

In article WZg1b.220954$Ho3.29139@sccrnsc03,
All Ears wrote:
Dick,

Please excuse me my ignorence. If I were an expert, I really did not need to
ask you guys.

I try to understand things from what I think is logical or could be
possible.

But without an understanding of the basic fundamentals of the
way things work, how can one sort out the real stuff from the
nonsense. What we have before us is a person, you, who is
tossing around technical terms like "current amplifier" or
"current source" or "self-damping" used in ways that are, to be
honest, nonsensical and contradictory.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |

Stewart Pinkerton

On 21 Aug 2003 17:34:34 GMT, "All Ears" wrote:

I think that they might have discovered that a "pure current source" did not
work too well with dynamic speakers?

They didn't 'discover' anything, that is simply a poorly-designed
amplifier masquerading as something 'exotic'.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 21 Aug 2003 17:54:20 GMT, "Wylie Williams"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote
I identify 'real' audiophiles as those who are aware of what a pool of
stinking snake oil the self-appointed 'high end' industry really is,

Although you eschew saying "all", the figure of speech you use and the
picture it paints seems to place every single member of the "high end"
industry in the same pool. ("Snake oil' means a product that is worthless to
the buyer, right?.) You create a striking image, for which I congratulate
you. Do you, mean to imply "all".

No, but certainly many of the so-called ''high-end' amplifier brands
such as Jadis, Carey, Unison Research, Audio Note etc, and I do mean
*all* of the cable industry, along with the 'tweak' brands such as
Shun Mook and RATA, and the 'sound improvement' stand makers such as
Mana - but not the Townshend Seismic Sink, despite the name!

Surely you will allow for some
percentage of the members of the industry to be honest. Of course I don't
know every member of the industry, but I am unwilling on general principles
to believe that all of them are selling products that they know to be
completely worthless.

Sure, but these products are readily identifiable, because they can be
*proven* to be both sensibly designed and effective. As a 'high end'
brand, Meridian is the obvious example.

[...]

You just need to put in some work, and you can move from being a
dilettante to being a *serious* audiophile! :-)

Richard D Pierce

In article 9_g1b.221003$YN5.152924@sccrnsc01,
All Ears wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
All Ears wrote:

I think that they might have discovered that a "pure current source" did

not
work too well with dynamic speakers?

"Discovered"? You have to be kidding. No one uses a pure current source
to drive speakers. It is like saying that "someone might have discovered
that Ohm's Law apply to audio engineering".

I get the feeling that these guys should possibly stick to the digital
stuff, which they do very well

If they can't understand Ohm's Law, how the hell are they going
to get something substantially more complicated right?

That's like saying "these guys should stick to hypersonic
aerodynamics, because they can't get walking and chewing gum
right."

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
| 1-781/826-4953 Voice and FAX |
| |
All Ears

. net...
All Ears wrote:
Dick,

Please excuse me my ignorence. If I were an expert, I really did not need

ask you guys.

I try to understand things from what I think is logical or could be
possible.

But without an understanding of the basic fundamentals of the
way things work, how can one sort out the real stuff from the
nonsense. What we have before us is a person, you, who is
tossing around technical terms like "current amplifier" or
"current source" or "self-damping" used in ways that are, to be
honest, nonsensical and contradictory.

I understand if you expect a certain level of basic understanding from the
people posting here. However, without the "non-experts" posting, what would
you experts be doing?

It think RAHE should be the right place to discuss new products, ideas,
theories or maybe even tries things, that would not seem logical from a
conventional engineering point of view.

I like keeping my mind open, and maybe try to do, or even does, things
people says cannot be done. Doing the "impossible" has always been one of
the biggest thrills to me.

Of course, nothing can replace good engineering, I respect that. What I
oppose to, is some sort of general too big a loyalty towards the "rules" ,
which means that the engineering "one optimal solution to one particular
problem" approach, should never rule out doing things differently, just to
try.

KE

Chris Johnson

In article ,
(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
Alternatively, and more rationally, one might say that the true 'high
end' lies in speakers and in room architecture, since the electronics
end seems to have pretty well peaked, with only features and styling
to differentiate good-quality players and amps. Cable of course, is
just cable.

It's a bit of a problem if 'subjectivists' are obligated to qualify
their statements with "gee, I could be wrong" but 'objectivists' get to
make unqualified general statements like this.

After all, it's not even true- if you assume no possible interaction
with the amp and the speaker load, you could say that, but that's not
real-world! I might suggest the qualifier "if you limit your amplifier
choices exclusively to ones that don't have weird ill-behaved
interactions with unusual loads". To you that may be a given, but
there's no reason to assume such weird and ill-designed amplifiers don't
produce euphonic effects for some. ANY divergence from ideal accuracy is
a distortion, even divergences in the nature of 'making bad recordings
sound nice' or 'making limited recordings sound more like they're in an
acoustic space'.

Once you're dealing with audio voodoo of that nature, anything's fair
game, and it could well be that the amp you like best is ill-behaved and
subject to interactions with other components, even if it 'should not'.
It's a double-bind (NOT 'blind' ) because if you go to the
well-behaved amplifiers, you could be losing some particular alteration
of the sound that translates it better to your environment in practice.
None of us live in anechoic chambers or listen to test tones for fun...

Chris Johnson
Wylie Williams

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote

Sure, but these products are readily identifiable, because they can be
*proven* to be both sensibly designed and effective.

To the majority of audiophiles the reviews in the audio magazines are the
closest thing to product performance information and comparison that are
available. Do you refer to proofs that are possible for each audiophile to
discover on his own, or is there some source where results are to be found?

As a 'high end' brand, Meridian is the obvious example.

Obvious to you, but not to me. What makes it obvious to you?

Wylie Williams