Default "New" Equipment Directory (Like AUDIO Magazine's)?

Hi, All,

I am interested in purchasing a new SACD player.

I recently bought a used Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC with the
intent of replacing my old (heavily modified) Magnavox CDB-560 CD
player, which recently "gave up the ghost".

Of course now I need a player with a digital output to drive the DAC.

What I would like to do is to buy a decent SACD player that I can also
hook up to the Tri-Vista for "Red Book" CD playback.

I would prefer a dedicated SACD/CD two-channel player, rather than a
"universal", multi-channel one, and I would like to spend less than
$2000.

Now... Searching the 'net I am having a hard time finding information
about what brands are available. I used to LOVE the old AUDIO Magazine
Annual Equipment Directory, because it gave an excellent summary of
what was available in the marketplace.

Is such a Directory currently being published? If so, which magazine?
Also, iis there a similar overview available online? All I can find are
links to various online dealers.

Thanks for any info!

Ken

Now... Searching the 'net I am having a hard time finding information
about what brands are available. I used to LOVE the old AUDIO

Magazine
Annual Equipment Directory, because it gave an excellent summary of
what was available in the marketplace.

Is such a Directory currently being published? If so, which magazine?
Also, iis there a similar overview available online? All I can find

are
links to various online dealers.

Both Sound & Vision and Stereophile publish annual directories akin to
the old Audio guide. They come out in early fall, generally, so you may
not find them on the newstand now. I'm not sure either is available
online, but you should try both sites (www.soundandvisionmag.com and
www.stereophile.com).

This is the sort of thing that would be a natural for the Web, except
that nobody's figured out a way to make money on it. For mainstream
gear, searching at a big retailer like www.jr.com will give you a good
selection, though not everything. For true high-end brands (which may
or may not be any better, BTW), it's pretty much hunt-and-peck.

bob
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
Hi, All,

I am interested in purchasing a new SACD player.

I recently bought a used Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC with the
intent of replacing my old (heavily modified) Magnavox CDB-560 CD
player, which recently "gave up the ghost".

Of course now I need a player with a digital output to drive the DAC.

What I would like to do is to buy a decent SACD player that I can also
hook up to the Tri-Vista for "Red Book" CD playback.

I would prefer a dedicated SACD/CD two-channel player, rather than a
"universal", multi-channel one, and I would like to spend less than
$2000.

Marantz, Onkyo, and Yamaha all have dedicated players top-of-their line
below $2000. These are universals. Marantz continues to make a
well-regarded CD/SACD player (the 8260) at about $1200. Denon has
universals but they are not particularly well regarded for sound unless
modified. Sony continues to make a wide range of CD/SACD players..a few
dedicated CD/SACD, most are DVD/SACD. They range from $150 up to $3000.

The boutique brands generally run above $2000.

RobertLang

I would recommend the current Sony flagship the SCDXA9000ES. It is not a
dedicated two channel player. It also plays multi-channel. It is *not* a
universal in that it has no DVD capability and it does not play DVD-A.

I have seen no indication that there is a two-channel deficit because it
also plays multi-channel. Two-channel playback is considered to be stellar
by many, including Stereophile which has placed it in its "Class A"
category.

After 18 months in the market place the build quality of the SCDXA9000ES
seems outstanding. The retail price is $3000 but it is commonly available
at around $1800.

Another consideration is a used Sony SCD-1 a two-channel player. This is
the player I have owned since 1999. It is built like a tank (58 pounds)
and is highly coveted on the used market. Many users "mod" them. I don't
believe I would personally buy a modded unit.

The SCD-1 has had a repair issue that you should be aware of. It becomes
evident after about 2 1/2 years of use and it easily repaired. I would
suspect that most SCD-1's on the market would have had that repair done.
Aside from that the reliability of mine after 5 1/2 years of moderate use
has been bullet proof. The original retail price was $5,000. I have seen
them on Audiogon for around $1800-$2000.

I agree with you regarding the old Audio Magazine Equipment Directory. I
still refer to my copy for information on used equipment. The last one
published in October 1999. I was unaware that "Stereophile" published a
similar guide. I guess thay do not send it to subscribers.