Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Chalk

Default Recording from a DENON AVR-3805

How do I record to my Digital Video Recorder (DVR) from my AVR3805 receiver?

I have used the receiver as the hub at the center of my DVR, CD player and
phono for weeks to play from each of these sources. Now I want to record
with the DVR instead of just using it to play DVDs. I have connected the
audio and S-video inputs of the DVR to the audio and S-video VCR-1 outputs
of the Denon. However, nothing is recorded. I can't find anything useful in
the Denon manual although it suggests that it can be used to record to a
'recording deck' which it assumes is a tape (VCR) rather than disk media.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Thomas Tornblom

"Andrew Chalk" writes:

How do I record to my Digital Video Recorder (DVR) from my AVR3805 receiver?

I have used the receiver as the hub at the center of my DVR, CD player and
phono for weeks to play from each of these sources. Now I want to record
with the DVR instead of just using it to play DVDs. I have connected the
audio and S-video inputs of the DVR to the audio and S-video VCR-1 outputs
of the Denon. However, nothing is recorded. I can't find anything useful in
the Denon manual although it suggests that it can be used to record to a
'recording deck' which it assumes is a tape (VCR) rather than disk media.

Any ideas?

I bought a (European) 3805 some weeks ago, and I needed two S-video
outputs, one for the TV and one for the projector. I hooked the
projector to one of the VCR outputs, but for some extremely stupid
reason the 3805 will not do any up/down conversion on the VCR outputs!
How stupid is that?

So you have to feed S-video to the receiver to get S-video on the VCR
outputs. This stupidity forces you to connect both S-video and
composite for all sources if you still have a composite only VCR. I
had hoped to only need S-video for the sources that can provide that,
but had to wire composite anyway, just for the old VCR.

I had hoped to be able to clean up the snake nest behind the receiver
when I got this instead of my old Yamaha RX-V795a, but it didn't do my
difference.

I solved the problem of feeding S-video to both the projector and TV
by getting a Radio Shack 4 output distribution amp.

Don't know if this is the problem you have though...

Many thanks!

Thomas
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann

Andrew,

In addition, you'll need an analog audio connection for any inputs you
want to record. A/V receivers will not convert digital to analog for
the benefit of the analog record outputs.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Chalk

Thanks. That may indeed be the problem. Odd that the DVR output can be the
input to the TV, but not vice-versa.

- A
"Barry Mann" wrote in message
om...
Andrew,

In addition, you'll need an analog audio connection for any inputs you
want to record. A/V receivers will not convert digital to analog for
the benefit of the analog record outputs.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Chalk

My problem is a similar analog/digital issue and I may have to bypass the
AVR and record "directly" from the DBS box.

What a pain. I thought I could use the AVR as the switching hub of my home
entertainment system.

Like you, a have a snake's nest that is worse than before..

- A