Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default CD Library to a hard drive questions

I would like to do the following, and I was wondering if it's possible,
and what additional equipment I might need.

I own about 400 CDs, and would like to rip them all to a large hard drive
(preferably losslessly); then be able to use the hard drive as a source
for playing directly to my stereo system, which includes an Onkyo receiver
and Onkyo 6-CD changer. Questions:

What input do I use to connect the HD to the receiver? Can it go
directly, or need it be routed through a computer?

I have both Windows and Mac machines at home. What program would
you recommend for the CDs -- HD transfer, and organization on the HD?

Do I need a separate DAC? The CD player has a good DAC, but I assume
I can't make use of that.

Any advice appreciated.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Andrew Barss" wrote ...
I would like to do the following, and I was wondering if it's
possible,
and what additional equipment I might need.

I own about 400 CDs, and would like to rip them all to a large hard
drive
(preferably losslessly); then be able to use the hard drive as a
source
for playing directly to my stereo system, which includes an Onkyo
receiver
and Onkyo 6-CD changer. Questions:

What input do I use to connect the HD to the receiver? Can it go
directly, or need it be routed through a computer?

Unless your receiver is designed to host a hard-drive
based library of music files (which I've never heard of)
then no, you cannot conect a hard drive directly to a
receiver.

Yes, you must use a computer or some computer-based,
or computer-like device which interfaces with the user (to
select the files to play, etc.) and then plays the audio to
feed into the receiver as any other conventional source.

Note that there are several devices now available which
feature a small-ish "component" which provides the user
interface display (and remote-control) and the audio (or
SPDIF digital) to feed into your receiver. It connects to your
computer via LAN (or wireless networking) where the discs
of music files are actually hosted. Like this one (and others)
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

I have both Windows and Mac machines at home.
What program would you recommend for the CDs --
HD transfer, and organization on the HD?

There are a great many CD-ripping applications available
for PC, and likely many for Mac, also. There are more and
more people doing what you are describing and so there are
likely apllications which "organize" and play the audio files of
your choice. (As well as hardware devices as I mentioned
above.) Note that if you use one of those hardware gadgets,
they may come with ripping software to "feed" the system.

Do I need a separate DAC? The CD player has a good
DAC, but I assume I can't make use of that.

You are correct, the DAC in your CD player is most likely
hard-wired to playing discs in the machine.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Norbert Hahn[_2_] Norbert Hahn[_2_] is offline

Andrew Barss wrote:

I would like to do the following, and I was wondering if it's possible,
and what additional equipment I might need.

I own about 400 CDs, and would like to rip them all to a large hard drive
(preferably losslessly); then be able to use the hard drive as a source
for playing directly to my stereo system, which includes an Onkyo receiver
and Onkyo 6-CD changer. Questions:

What input do I use to connect the HD to the receiver? Can it go
directly, or need it be routed through a computer?

The Mediabox has serveral direct connectors to a TV and a stereo.
It connects to your computer by USB.

I have both Windows and Mac machines at home. What program would
you recommend for the CDs -- HD transfer, and organization on the HD?

Do I need a separate DAC? The CD player has a good DAC, but I assume
I can't make use of that.

A DAC is built in.

Norbert
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Norbert Hahn wrote:

:
:What input do I use to connect the HD to the receiver? Can it go
:directly, or need it be routed through a computer?

: The Mediabox has serveral direct connectors to a TV and a stereo.
: It connects to your computer by USB.
:

:Do I need a separate DAC? The CD player has a good DAC, but I assume
:I can't make use of that.

: A DAC is built in.

: Norbert

If I'm reading the specs here right, the Mediabox doesn't support WAV, or
a lossless format, nor does it
support any MP3 higher than 192 kHz. Or am I misreading something?

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...ideo/mb100.asp

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

In article ,
Andrew Barss wrote:

If I'm reading the specs here right, the Mediabox doesn't support WAV, or
a lossless format, nor does it
support any MP3 higher than 192 kHz. Or am I misreading something?

The owner's manual says that it supports WAV format. It can stream
WAVs from the hard drive or over a network.

The manual doesn't seem to specify an upper limit on the MP3 bit-rate.

It doesn't seem to be able to support FLAC format, or Ogg Vorbis.
However, either of these could be stored on an external server, and
then converted to WAV for streaming playback over Ethernet.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Norbert Hahn Norbert Hahn is offline

Andrew Barss wrote:

Norbert Hahn wrote:

:
:What input do I use to connect the HD to the receiver? Can it go
:directly, or need it be routed through a computer?

: The Mediabox has serveral direct connectors to a TV and a stereo.
: It connects to your computer by USB.
:

:Do I need a separate DAC? The CD player has a good DAC, but I assume
:I can't make use of that.

: A DAC is built in.

: Norbert

If I'm reading the specs here right, the Mediabox doesn't support WAV, or
a lossless format, nor does it
support any MP3 higher than 192 kHz. Or am I misreading something?

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...ideo/mb100.asp

Obviously there are several manufactures for several types of
"Mediabox":
http://www.pearl.de/p/PE3495-auvisio...a-Box-LCD.html
http://www.testticker.de/news/home_c...070322017.aspx

Other names are Showcenter, i.e.
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...Center+200.htm

HTH
Norbert
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
If I'm reading the specs here right, the Mediabox doesn't support WAV, or
a lossless format, nor does it
support any MP3 higher than 192 kHz. Or am I misreading something?

It DOES support WAV (all of 'em do, it's the oldest of the digital formats).
However, you would be wise to use some sort of lossless compression such as
FLAC (free lossless audio codec) or Ogg Vorbis to save space. WAV has zero
compression which is why you can only fit 20-odd songs on a CD vs. hundreds
of compressed files.

Dave S.

Hard drive for archiving Paul Stamler Pro Audio 15 September 19th 07 04:03 PM
NOS Tubes Picture Library to help with Tube ID questions Tubemonger Vacuum Tubes 2 August 11th 05 01:24 AM
hard drive recording and drive speed Dennis Herrick Pro Audio 11 August 17th 04 07:56 PM
Mp3 Hard drive Big Tymer! Car Audio 0 July 1st 04 06:08 PM
2 Hard Drive/Nuendo EggHd Pro Audio 2 July 26th 03 12:17 PM