Andrew Chalk

Default Best choice for outdoor speakers

If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the best
choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor units or
do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

Many thanks.

Todd H.

"Andrew Chalk" writes:

If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the best
choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor units or
do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

I don't have a specific recommendation but mcmelectronics.com has a
printed catalog that has a LOT of choices in it for outdoor speakers
in enclosures. Some that look like they've been quite thoughfully
designed.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Scott Dorsey

Andrew Chalk wrote:
If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the best
choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor units or
do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

Look at the Tannoy i5AW speakers. They are reasonably well weatherproofed
and sound okay. They are available with 70V kits, which I strongly recommend
if you have a long cable run.

charles e dollar

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:07:46 GMT, "Andrew Chalk"
wrote:

If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the best
choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor units or
do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

Many thanks.

the only real weather proff speakers, not weather resistant, are the
bose 151's. they're pretty decent speakers for the price. i believe
around $250 unless they've come down lately. you find them the same
price where ever you shop for bose. try circuit city or best buys.
charles monster cable dollar
George Gleason

wrote:

If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the best
choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor units or
do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

Many thanks.

the only real weather proff speakers, not weather resistant, are the
bose 151's. they're pretty decent speakers for the price. i believe
around $250 unless they've come down lately. you find them the same
price where ever you shop for bose. try circuit city or best buys.
charles monster cable dollar

The Bose 151 are NOT weatherproof and even if they were , they sound
like a brick of ****
you want weather proof look at Technomad or Community R series

TCS

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:32:52 -0600, charles e dollar wrote:
the only real weather proff speakers, not weather resistant, are the
bose 151's. they're pretty decent speakers for the price. i believe
around $250 unless they've come down lately. you find them the same
price where ever you shop for bose. try circuit city or best buys.
charles monster cable dollar

oh yuk. You have a really really minimal idea of "decent". A $20 pair of
speakers from the flea market wrapped in garbage bags will blow away the bose.

charles e dollar

wrote:

If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the best
choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor units or
do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

Many thanks.

the only real weather proff speakers, not weather resistant, are the
bose 151's. they're pretty decent speakers for the price. i believe
around $250 unless they've come down lately. you find them the same
price where ever you shop for bose. try circuit city or best buys.
charles monster cable dollar

The Bose 151 are NOT weatherproof and even if they were , they sound
like a brick of ****
you want weather proof look at Technomad or Community R series

I think if ive put a pair of bose 151 in a fish tank filled with water
for 2 years and they still played perfectly afterwards. as for as the
sound, if you noticed what i wrote, i said for the money. but water
proff they are becasue ive been in the audio/video business for 23 yrs
and did the experiment myself. so i know what the hell im talking
about, how about you. did you try this? dont speak unless you have
done it yourself. you are wrong!
forget weather resistant, they're water proff.
charles monster cable $
George Gleason

I think if ive put a pair of bose 151 in a fish tank filled with water
for 2 years and they still played perfectly afterwards. as for as the
sound, if you noticed what i wrote, i said for the money. but water
proff they are becasue ive been in the audio/video business for 23 yrs
and did the experiment myself. so i know what the hell im talking
about, how about you. did you try this? dont speak unless you have
done it yourself. you are wrong!
forget weather resistant, they're water proff.
charles monster cable $

I wished I'd saved the 12 rotted ones I pulled from a patio at a local
fern bar
2 years outside and they were trashed
NOT WEATHERPROOF in anyway
George
George Gleason

George Gleason wrote:

I think if ive put a pair of bose 151 in a fish tank filled with water
for 2 years and they still played perfectly afterwards. as for as the
sound, if you noticed what i wrote, i said for the money. but water
proff they are becasue ive been in the audio/video business for 23 yrs
and did the experiment myself. so i know what the hell im talking
about, how about you. did you try this? dont speak unless you have
done it yourself. you are wrong! forget weather resistant, they're
water proff.
charles monster cable $

I wished I'd saved the 12 rotted ones I pulled from a patio at a local
fern bar
2 years outside and they were trashed
NOT WEATHERPROOF in anyway
George

Been In av since 1976
currently a prime DMX affiliate
Jobs include installing OUTDOOR speakers for alethic feilds in upstate ny
and had one of my(outdoor) designs live through a CAT 5 hurricane(no
speaker fails even though the 30 foot tall concrete posts the speakers
were on were destroyed) in punta Gorda Florida this year

and did it as a hobby for a decade before that

I installed Bose at the 1980 olympics
had to run signal to them 24/7 to keep them working outdoors
I will put my experiance against yours anyday
George
George Gleason

George Gleason wrote:
George Gleason wrote:

I think if ive put a pair of bose 151 in a fish tank filled with water
for 2 years and they still played perfectly afterwards. as for as the
sound, if you noticed what i wrote, i said for the money. but water
proff they are becasue ive been in the audio/video business for 23 yrs
and did the experiment myself. so i know what the hell im talking
about, how about you. did you try this? dont speak unless you have
done it yourself. you are wrong! forget weather resistant, they're
water proff.
charles monster cable $

I wished I'd saved the 12 rotted ones I pulled from a patio at a local
fern bar
2 years outside and they were trashed
NOT WEATHERPROOF in anyway
George

Oh and BTW
waterproof IS NOT weatherproof
George

wkearney99

I will put my experiance against yours anyday

How about dueling spell checkers?
The Open Sourceror's Apprentice

George Gleason wrote in news:RFiGd.25920
:

The Bose 151 are NOT weatherproof and even if they were , they sound
like a brick of ****

That's a very charitable assessemnt of anything Bose makes.

--
Tired of spam in your mailbox?
Come to http://www.spamblocked.com
Andrew Chalk

Thanks to Todd, Scott, William and Bill. Your suggestions pointed me in the
right direction. I'm trying to choose now. I think the discussion got a
little off-topic at some point.

- Andrew

"Andrew Chalk" wrote in message
om...
If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the

best
choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor units or
do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

Many thanks.

Chad Wahls

"Andrew Chalk" wrote in message
om...
If I want to add outdoor speakers to my indoor audio system what is the
best choice for speakers? Do I have to give up quality and use outdoor
units or do hifi speakers come with "weatherproofing" kits?

Many thanks.

Beings that this is a tech group I might add...... Build them! There are
many great poly/rubber drivers out there and a good mylar tweet can last
quite some time.

You WILL have to replace drivers, don't blow all your money there. Instead
spend it on fiberglassing the enclosure and building good driver protection.
Many pro speakers use what some call "rain screen" in front of UV resistant
foam. This will keep the drivers dry for the most part, not going to work
in gale force driving rain front on!

I plan an outdoor homebrew project soon, May post back.

As for quality, well, they are outside, your noise floor is up, and they
will probably be mounted in a less than ideal configuration. If you want to
enjoy superb audio, forget it, go inside But you can build something
with good spectral balance for a decent price. Price will go up if you
decide to go 70V due to the price of high quality transformers and an amp to
drive them, I'd go with a commercial 70V amp (Crown/QSC) if you have a long
run. Less than 50/75 ft then low impedance should be fine.

Chad

Andrew Chalk

Well, with due regard to the comments here about the difficulty of getting
and appreciating hifi out of doors I bought a pair of marine speakers off
overstock.com (normally $300, yours for $100 a pair). I hope they sound OK!

- Andrew

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
Thanks to Todd, Scott, William and Bill. Your suggestions pointed me in

the
right direction. I'm trying to choose now. I think the discussion got a
little off-topic at some point.

- Andrew

Andrew,

I'd be interested in how your search goes, because I'll likely be doing
the same thing this summer - I'd really like to set up some weatherproof
speakers on my deck...

Cheers,

Bill

Turntable - Choice Your Add Here! Tech 7 October 24th 04 02:42 PM
Best Choice for Jazz music sax people General 1 March 13th 04 08:25 AM
Best choice for Jazz music sax people Pro Audio 2 November 24th 03 12:35 PM
Right choice of wood for speakers Carlos Moreno Tech 32 October 30th 03 05:12 PM
KEF - a good choice? Rich Kiernan Audio Opinions 2 September 19th 03 09:18 PM