Derrick Fawsitt

Default Now, Audio Research versus a Quad system.

Can I start by saying that I am aware the choice of a Hi Fi system is a
very personal one and depends largely on an individual's own idea of
their conception of an ideal "sound", correct me? However, we all look
at other peoples experiences of Hi Fi and read endlessly about them,
well I do.
Taking the above as "read", can I therefore ask for some experiences of
two manufactures wares, namely Quad and Audio Research. I have loads of
friends who have the Naim system and yet I have bought and am perfectly
satisfied with my new Quad separates, that is until a local dealer whose
opinion I have to say I must respect said that he is disappointed in me
in that I had said I wanted to end up with a system that was near or at
the top whereas I have just got myself a good sound. He maintains that
the Audio Research CD player, (no doubt together with their amps etc.),
was "on another planet" as to the realistic audio reproduction.
Up to then I had got myself both value and detailed, musical and very
realistic audio reproduction and this extremely high praise for the
Audio Research system has rather spoiled my feeling of having arrived at
something of a state of the art purchase. Is this extraordinary high
praise for the Audio Research justified and should I immediately go out
and trade in my new Quad 99, 904 amp and their neat pre-amp? Your
comments would be valued, you should know I am using B and W CDM7's
loudspeakers the special edition, (se).
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Harry Lavo

"Derrick Fawsitt" wrote in message
[...]

The Audio Research stuff is very, very good and has to be near the top of
anybody's list for sound quality. It is also a company that stands behind
every unit they have ever made, and still services them. That said, it is
an American company and if you are overseas, Quad might be more accessible
for dealer and factory support. It is also very fine sounding by
reputation. Why not take it piece by piece to the dealer who wants to sell
you Audio Research and do a face off. Then decide based on what you hear.
Discount what the dealer says, or his opinion is...he obviously will want to
sell you the ARC stuff. Decide for yourself.

Tom Alaerts

On 2005-06-26 17:24:36 +0200, Derrick Fawsitt said:

[...]

If you are happy with the Quad system, then why bother what other
people think? I'd rather use the spare money on CDs than being
influenced by hifi dealers...

Specifically about Quad: I think that these machines are well-designed,
no-nonsense, sound neutral, all for a price that's not unaccessible.
And they are very reliable.

Tom
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Tom Alaerts
writes
On 2005-06-26 17:24:36 +0200, Derrick Fawsitt said:

[...]

Thank you Tom, just what wanted, I needed to hear from someone who
actually had used or heard the Quad system. Have you had any experience
of the Audio Research, I only now need to hear from someone who may have
heard both and can tell me if its all its made out to be and worth all
that extra money. I won't be changing by system every year like some
people do, I have not changed anything up to now for Twenty year or so.

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Kalman Rubinson

On 27 Jun 2005 14:58:37 GMT, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

Thank you Tom, just what wanted, I needed to hear from someone who
actually had used or heard the Quad system. Have you had any experience
of the Audio Research, I only now need to hear from someone who may have
heard both and can tell me if its all its made out to be and worth all
that extra money. I won't be changing by system every year like some
people do, I have not changed anything up to now for Twenty year or so.

Don't bother. Why take anyone's opinion when you can actually hear
them both for yourself in your listening room? I hate to dump on you
but you are avoiding deciding for yourself when you are the only one
in the right position to decide.

Oh, btw, consider acoustic treatment for your room before tossing out
money on new equipment.

Kal

Tom Alaerts

If you are happy with the Quad system, then why bother what other
people think? I'd rather use the spare money on CDs than being
influenced by hifi dealers...

Specifically about Quad: I think that these machines are well-designed,
no-nonsense, sound neutral, all for a price that's not unaccessible.
And they are very reliable.

Tom

Thank you Tom, just what wanted, I needed to hear from someone who
actually had used or heard the Quad system. Have you had any experience
of the Audio Research, I only now need to hear from someone who may
have heard both and can tell me if its all its made out to be and worth
all that extra money. I won't be changing by system every year like
some people do, I have not changed anything up to now for Twenty year
or so.

(2nd try to post)

I only once and only briefly heard an Audio Research amp set, and not
in good demo conditions either so I shouldn't really comment. Anyway, I
had the impression of a fluid, effortless sound. Not all too different
from McIntosh amps which I heard, again briefly, a few times. Better
than Quad? Maybe a bit, if you compare them directly, or maybe you'd
slightly prefer Quad. And whatever these not that dramatic differences,
simply changing loudspeakers has a much, much larger effect on the
total tonal balance. Your recent Quad system is just fine, and it is
better not into the upgrade spiral that greedy hifi dealers want to
lure us with. Again, I'd rather buy extra CDs instead of now already
upgrading.

all best, Tom
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Kalman Rubinson
writes
wrote:

Thank you Tom, just what wanted, I needed to hear from someone who
actually had used or heard the Quad system. Have you had any experience
of the Audio Research, I only now need to hear from someone who may have
heard both and can tell me if its all its made out to be and worth all
that extra money. I won't be changing by system every year like some
people do, I have not changed anything up to now for Twenty year or so.

Don't bother. Why take anyone's opinion when you can actually hear
them both for yourself in your listening room? I hate to dump on you
but you are avoiding deciding for yourself when you are the only one
in the right position to decide.

Oh, btw, consider acoustic treatment for your room before tossing out
money on new equipment.

Kal

I will do now Kal, I will insist on hearing any equipment in my home and
if the particular retailer won't oblige then I will go elsewhere.
Thanks again.
--
Derrick