Lizard

Default How do I go about copywriting a self-produced album?

I am in the process of recording an album in my project studio. I plan to
have it professionally finished, and have a thousand or so copied made.

How do I go about protecting my work?

--
*·.¸_¸.·'¨¨)
¸.·'

S O'Neill

First of all, it's copyRIGHT, as in right to copy. Learn about it he

http://www.copyright.gov/

If any of the material is by someone else, go he

http://www.harryfox.com/

Lizard wrote:
I am in the process of recording an album in my project studio. I plan to
have it professionally finished, and have a thousand or so copied made.

How do I go about protecting my work?

Lizard

First of all, it's copyRIGHT, as in right to copy. Learn about it he

http://www.copyright.gov/

Thank you -- so basically I need to call a lawyer?

--
*·.¸_¸.·'¨¨)
¸.·'

Lizard wrote:
I am in the process of recording an album in my project studio. I plan

have it professionally finished, and have a thousand or so copied made.

How do I go about protecting my work?

S O'Neill

Did you read "Copyright Basics"? If you still aren't comfortable with doing it
yourself, then call a lawyer.

But it's really just a matter of filling out form SR, submitting it with a
recording and a check for $30, and they'll register it. Hardly rocket surgery.

Lizard wrote:
First of all, it's copyRIGHT, as in right to copy. Learn about it he

http://www.copyright.gov/

Thank you -- so basically I need to call a lawyer?

Rob Adelman

S O'Neill wrote:

Did you read "Copyright Basics"? If you still aren't comfortable with
doing it yourself, then call a lawyer.

But it's really just a matter of filling out form SR, submitting it with
a recording and a check for $30, and they'll register it. Hardly rocket
surgery.

Yes, I have been doing this since the mid 80's (when it was only $10)
and there is really nothing to it. Print out the form on-line, fill it
out and send it with a tape or cd and $30 to the address on the form. Done.

-Rob

S O'Neill

Likewise, and I've never used a lawyer either, but if he wants to have his duxx
in a row, which it seemed he does, he should read about it. It's part of the
creative process, like doing dishes. There are some rather important details,
like affixing a proper copyright notice to the work; just ask Robert "Keep On
Truckin'" Crumb about that.

© 2003 S O'Neill

Rob Adelman wrote:

S O'Neill wrote:

Did you read "Copyright Basics"? If you still aren't comfortable with
doing it yourself, then call a lawyer.

But it's really just a matter of filling out form SR, submitting it
with a recording and a check for $30, and they'll register it. Hardly
rocket surgery.

Yes, I have been doing this since the mid 80's (when it was only $10)
and there is really nothing to it. Print out the form on-line, fill it
out and send it with a tape or cd and $30 to the address on the form. Done.

-Rob

Rick Ruskin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:26:36 GMT, "Lizard"
wrote:

First of all, it's copyRIGHT, as in right to copy. Learn about it he

http://www.copyright.gov/

Thank you -- so basically I need to call a lawyer?

You need a Form SR from the Copyright Office. Follow the directions
and send it in along with the fee and all materials (1 or 2 copies of
the album, depending on whether published or un-published) asked for.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
xy

don't waste money on a lawyer. save that dough for later.

go to www.copyright.gov
click on the forms tab
print the "PA" form
fill it out
write the check out for $30
mail it in with the completed form and a copy of your cd
send it "delivery confirmation" so you have a time-record of when you
sent it
you'll get your copyright confirmation about 6 months later

you can copyright the entire cd for $30. just call it a "collection"
like "Joe Smith's song collection".
Rick Ruskin

On 16 Dec 2003 16:37:15 -0800, (xy)
wrote:

don't waste money on a lawyer. save that dough for later.

go to
www.copyright.gov
click on the forms tab
print the "PA" form
fill it out
write the check out for $30
mail it in with the completed form and a copy of your cd
send it "delivery confirmation" so you have a time-record of when you
sent it
you'll get your copyright confirmation about 6 months later

you can copyright the entire cd for $30. just call it a "collection"
like "Joe Smith's song collection".

The Form PA is not for sound recordings. Recordings require the use of
Form SR.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Rob Adelman

anthony.gosnell wrote:

No you just need to register it. You only need a lawyer when you need to
sue someone for stealing your song or when someone sues you for stealing
theirs.

Or if negotiating a record deal.