Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default stereo drum OH question

for my jazz trio, my preferred method of recording the drums is with
schoeps mk41 in a spaced pair above the kit. nothing else. Just
those two mics with a good drummer in even a halfway decent room
provides a very good result. there's no hype, the cymbals are not
sizzly, and it's a very even and balanced tone. I love those mics.
But I also use them for other things- mainly my guitar and the upright
bass. but I don't have $4k for another pair. is there single point
stereo mic or a pair of sdc's I should look at that I can use for the
drums? It seems most mics have hf lifts and other annoying responses,
and i don't want to deal with that sound. that and the tight pattern
of the mk41 gives a very focused sound that rejects a lot of room
reflections.

I would be comfortable spending about $1500 give or take a little
bit. I'm thinking a single stereo mic might be cool to try, or a pair
of sdc's. I could maybe try a pair of the THE hypers- i own one
already and though it's no schoeps it sounds pretty good. self noise
is a LOT higher than the schoeps and the pattern isn't as tight, and
the freq response isn't as full, but it is a decent sounding OH mic
and doens't have that real anoying high end or hi mid crap that a lot
of small condensers have. or I was thinking about an aea r88. that's
probably the best bet but I'm wondering what my other options are. I
see a company named peluso mics has a stereo ribbon and a stereo
condenser but there's no published freq charts. I'm sure I could get
ahold of one to try out, but if it isn't in the ballpark I don't want
to bother auditioning it. I'm set on auditioning the aea for this
purpose but wondering what else i should look at. suggestions please!

while I'm at it, pretty much those schoeps mk41's ar my favorite mics
on the planet. if I were to do a recording and rent additional mics,
and I was to record a vibraphone with my group, what do you think
about a pair of mk41's or mk4 or dpa 4011? this would be in a good
sounding room but no isolation. In my living room the mk41's make
everything sound good, for the obvious reason of their great
pattern.

I've decided instead of going into a studio to try my next project
myself. so I'll rent a hall (have a great one in town i can use at
which i've performed many times and it sounds fantastic) and set the
band up like a gig and just go to town. but because of no isolation
i've got to choose mics and placement wisely. At this point it's all
speculation as I'm just thinking about this project, but in the next
12 months it will probably come to fruition. And Dorsey, if you're
reading this, I may consult you to fly down and help out if this
actually happens.

so that's the long and short of it. have at it!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Clayton Mike Clayton is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
for my jazz trio, my preferred method of recording the drums is with
schoeps mk41 in a spaced pair above the kit. nothing else. Just
those two mics with a good drummer in even a halfway decent room
provides a very good result. there's no hype, the cymbals are not
sizzly, and it's a very even and balanced tone. I love those mics.
But I also use them for other things- mainly my guitar and the upright
bass. but I don't have $4k for another pair. is there single point
stereo mic or a pair of sdc's I should look at that I can use for the
drums?

Nate, I have and love the Schoeps mics. But before I bought the Schoeps
I had and still have a pair of AKG 480B SDC mics, with omni, cardioid
and hypercardioid heads for each of the preamps.

They are somewhat cheaper than the Schoeps but I have found the AKGs to
be almost their equal. I've used both in the spaced pair and coincident
pair configurations with excellent results.

Add to that a gentle commendation from the highly esteemed Dorsey in the
past (search the archives) and I think you might be quite pleased. Rent
a pair to try them before you buy. Don't rely on any advice from me as
there is far too much that I don't know.

Mike Clayton
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
for my jazz trio, my preferred method of recording the drums is with
schoeps mk41 in a spaced pair above the kit. nothing else. Just
those two mics with a good drummer in even a halfway decent room
provides a very good result. there's no hype, the cymbals are not
sizzly, and it's a very even and balanced tone. I love those mics.
But I also use them for other things- mainly my guitar and the upright
bass. but I don't have $4k for another pair. is there single point
stereo mic or a pair of sdc's I should look at that I can use for the
drums? It seems most mics have hf lifts and other annoying responses,
and i don't want to deal with that sound. that and the tight pattern
of the mk41 gives a very focused sound that rejects a lot of room
reflections.

I don't think there is anything that you will find which is as clean
as the Schoeps and as directional.

If you can live with a little less directionality, you might consider
the DPA microphones or the AKG C480.

Another thing you probably ought to do is to get a pair of used
Sennheiser 441 dynamics. They aren't in the same league as the
Schoeps, obviously, but you will be surprised what they can do on
bass and guitar, and that could free your Schoeps up for something
else. And they sell used for good prices.

while I'm at it, pretty much those schoeps mk41's ar my favorite mics
on the planet. if I were to do a recording and rent additional mics,
and I was to record a vibraphone with my group, what do you think
about a pair of mk41's or mk4 or dpa 4011? this would be in a good
sounding room but no isolation. In my living room the mk41's make
everything sound good, for the obvious reason of their great
pattern.

The 4011 is a great mike and it is clean off-axis but it's not as
tight as the Schoeps in reality.

I've decided instead of going into a studio to try my next project
myself. so I'll rent a hall (have a great one in town i can use at
which i've performed many times and it sounds fantastic) and set the
band up like a gig and just go to town. but because of no isolation
i've got to choose mics and placement wisely. At this point it's all
speculation as I'm just thinking about this project, but in the next
12 months it will probably come to fruition. And Dorsey, if you're
reading this, I may consult you to fly down and help out if this
actually happens.

I'd be happy to do so and I'd bring a pair of old B&K omnis as well.

The key to the whole thing is to get the best acoustics you can get,
in order to allow you to use omnis. There are a lot of good cheap
omnis out there and there are some amazing expensive ones, but it's
a lot harder to make a cardioid that sounds good than an omni and
a whole lot harder to make a hypercardioid, and consequently you pay
more money for that. The thing is, good acoustics cost more than
microphones.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Another thing you probably ought to do is to get a pair of used
Sennheiser 441 dynamics. They aren't in the same league as the
Schoeps, obviously, but you will be surprised what they can do on
bass and guitar, and that could free your Schoeps up for something
else. And they sell used for good prices.

If I had to strip to four mics I'd keep the Schoeps (CMC6 + MK4) and the
Sennheiser MD441's. The 441's are terrific mics, IMO.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Dec 26, 11:40*am, (hank alrich) wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Another thing you probably ought to do is to get a pair of used
Sennheiser 441 dynamics. *They aren't in the same league as the
Schoeps, obviously, but you will be surprised what they can do on
bass and guitar, and that could free your Schoeps up for something
else. *And they sell used for good prices.

If I had to strip to four mics I'd keep the Schoeps (CMC6 + MK4) and the
Sennheiser MD441's. The 441's are terrific mics, IMO.

--
ha

Haven't used one yet, but Mercenary Audio recently introduced a mic
(the MFG KM-69) that they claim sounds more like a good vintage
Neumann KM-84 than the current -184, or any other small diaphragm
condenser out there. They're selling it for $950 per mic, or $1800 a
pair, which is cheaper than a Schoeps, at least. There's some audio
samples here - http://www.ma-mfg.com/audio/audio.html

-Neb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:23:03 -0500, nebulax wrote
(in article
):

Scott Dorsey wrote:
[...]

Hmm. sounds delayed-for-stereo-effect here and sort of thin.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

is there single pointstereo mic or a pair of sdc's I should look at that I
can use for the drums?

There´s Audio Technica 4051......