Fred Mann

Default Where do I find headshell/cartridge for my Technics turntable?

Hello ...
I need a headshell and cartridge/stylus for my Technics SL-1900 turntable.
This is for general listening purposes (i.e. not DJ scratching), but I would
like high quality sound.
Can anyone out there recommend a cartridge and headshell that will fit this
turntable? If it helps, the tonearm has 4 pegs (thick pins) in the recessed
hole. I'm not sure if any old technics headshell will fit, but I noticed
that there are some on eBay. Also, will any cartridge work with a Technics
headshell?
Finally, is there a good resource besides eBay for finding this kind of
stuff?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Harry Lavo

"Fred Mann" wrote in message
Hello ...
I need a headshell and cartridge/stylus for my Technics SL-1900 turntable.
This is for general listening purposes (i.e. not DJ scratching), but I
would
like high quality sound.
Can anyone out there recommend a cartridge and headshell that will fit
this
turntable? If it helps, the tonearm has 4 pegs (thick pins) in the
recessed
hole. I'm not sure if any old technics headshell will fit, but I noticed
that there are some on eBay. Also, will any cartridge work with a Technics
headshell?
Finally, is there a good resource besides eBay for finding this kind of
stuff?
Thanks!!!
Fred

Back in the '70's Audio-Technica and several other firms made ten's of
thousands of generic headshells for the Technics arms...there must be some
on eBay from time to time...you might also visit the vintage forum on Audio
Asylum and ask if anybody could supply you with one. Once you have the
headshell, you can install any number of medium compliance cartridges, old
and new. Just stay away from the super high compliant cartridges, such as
the Shure V15, ADC XLM and ZLM's, and Grado wood bodies. The technics arm
is not sufficiently low mass to mate well with these.

Gene Poon

Fred Mann wrote:

Hello ...
I need a headshell and cartridge/stylus for my Technics SL-1900 turntable.
This is for general listening purposes (i.e. not DJ scratching), but I would
like high quality sound.
Can anyone out there recommend a cartridge and headshell that will fit this
turntable? If it helps, the tonearm has 4 pegs (thick pins) in the recessed
hole. I'm not sure if any old technics headshell will fit, but I noticed
that there are some on eBay. Also, will any cartridge work with a Technics
headshell?
Finally, is there a good resource besides eBay for finding this kind of
stuff?
Thanks!!!
Fred

www.needledoctor.com

That arm is of relatively high mass, so an ultra-low compliance
cartridge such as the Shure V15 Type V variants, Stanton 881S, etc., is
not really suitable as you will get a large subsonic arm/stylus resonance.

Just about any old Technics headshell will fit unless it's been
butchered. That was a standard headshell design; many brands of
turntables/arms used the same fitting, including lots of Japanese ones
and the famed British SME of that era.

-GP