Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] ruffrecords@yahoo.com is offline

Default Pentode gm wired as a triode

Is there a simple relationship between the gm of a pentode wired as a
pentode and its gm wired as a triode.?

I have just done some tests on some 6AU6 pentodes. Wired as pentodes I get
the expected gm of around 3.9 mA/V on my AVO two panel tester. If I alter
the settings on the tester to wire them as triodes (suppressor and screen
grids to plate and reducing plate volts from 100 V to 80V) I get gm
readings of over 7mA/V. Is it typical for the triode wired gm to be nearly
twice the pentode wired value?

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Is there a simple relationship between the gm of a pentode wired as a
pentode and its gm wired as a triode.?

I have just done some tests on some 6AU6 pentodes. Wired as pentodes I get
the expected gm of around 3.9 mA/V on my AVO two panel tester. If I alter
the settings on the tester to wire them as triodes (suppressor and screen
grids to plate and reducing plate volts from 100 V to 80V) I get gm
readings of over 7mA/V. Is it typical for the triode wired gm to be nearly
twice the pentode wired value?

Cheers

Ian

Gm can be tested with anode and screen taken to say a fixed 100V, and
the grid biased for a given Ia of whatever amount you wish
up to say 10mA, (Pda = 1watt).
Suppressor can be grounded for the test.

If you have a 10 ohm R between the B+ supply and anode etc, and apply a
small signal, say
0.1 Vrms to the grid at say 400Hz, then you can measure the current in
the 10 ohm resistor.

Where gm = 4mA/V, you should see that 1Vrms applied to the grid produces
4mA of I change in the 10 ohms, seen as 40mV across the 10 ohms.

Lowering the anode current by changing the grid bias to more -ve
will give less voltage at the 10 ohms and by careful measurement
you can draw a graph for gm vs Ia for B+ = Ea = 100V.

The test above is the same for triode and pentode.

Does connecting the suppressor to the B+ make any difference?

The other way is to measure the voltage gain with a given known Ia and
say 20k RL
and 40k RL in both pentode and triode connection.

The change from pentode to triode and with both RL values must be done
with Ea, Ia and Eg2 all that the same
voltage value for each test.

A = µ x RL / ( RL + Ra )

With two equations for gain with two known RL, you can work out
the two unknowns, Ra and µ, then
apply gm = µ / Ra.

When you have done all this on your breadboard come back and tell us
what you found.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Another Ian asked;

Is there a simple relationship between the gm of a pentode wired as
pentode and its gm wired as a triode.?

I have just done some tests on some 6AU6 pentodes. Wired as pentodes
I get
the expected gm of around 3.9 mA/V on my AVO two panel tester. If I
alter
the settings on the tester to wire them as triodes (suppressor and
screen
grids to plate and reducing plate volts from 100 V to 80V) I get gm
readings of over 7mA/V. Is it typical for the triode wired gm to be
nearly
twice the pentode wired value?

Given constant voltage(s) on screen and anode, gm should be the same.

The pentode gm is related to screen voltage; the triode to anode
voltage.

As an obvious example, if the screen voltage is set to be the same as
anode voltage, then it won't make any difference whether the screen is
connected to the anode or not.

You don't say what the screen voltage was for the pentode test.

gm measurement assumes constant screen and anode voltages, so the fact
that you have not observed this requirement between your two tests is
likely to be significant, wouldn't you think?

Your test voltages are quite low, and possibly quite close to the knee
of the pentode characteristic curves. Screen and anode voltage
differences between your two tests will account for the different
values of gm, assuming the tester maintains constant voltages.

AVO testers work in mysterious ways.

It may be easier to think in terms of mu. The mu of a triode-connected
pentode is the screen mu of the pentode, not the anode mu.

To a reasonable approximation.

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Your test voltages are quite low, and possibly quite close to the
knee of the pentode characteristic curves...

I didn't say why this is significant.

At low voltages, screen current may be a large part of total current,
and may vary sharply with changes in screen or anode voltage. If you
were to measure cathode current, or the sum of screen and anode
current, then your readings may be more similar.

Ian

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
k...
Another Ian asked;

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I Shall. I just wish the bloody parts I need would arrive. Maplin are out of
mains transformers so I have had to order them from elsewhere and the B7G
sockets and tag board have still not arrived. I have the piece of wood cut
out though all ready to go ;-)

Ian
Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] ruffrecords@yahoo.com is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:

Another Ian asked;

[...]

The AVO data sheets tell me to set plate to 100V and screen to 100V.

gm measurement assumes constant screen and anode voltages, so the fact
that you have not observed this requirement between your two tests is
likely to be significant, wouldn't you think?

Probably. I did do it first at plate connected to screen connected to 100V
and got even larger gm readings. I am beginning to think I am using my AVO
two panel tester in ways it was never intended to.

Ian
Your test voltages are quite low, and possibly quite close to the knee
of the pentode characteristic curves. Screen and anode voltage
differences between your two tests will account for the different
values of gm, assuming the tester maintains constant voltages.

AVO testers work in mysterious ways.

It may be easier to think in terms of mu. The mu of a triode-connected
pentode is the screen mu of the pentode, not the anode mu.

To a reasonable approximation.

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Your test voltages are quite low, and possibly quite close to the
knee of the pentode characteristic curves...

I didn't say why this is significant.

At low voltages, screen current may be a large part of total current,
and may vary sharply with changes in screen or anode voltage. If you
were to measure cathode current, or the sum of screen and anode
current, then your readings may be more similar.

Ian

The odd thing is the AVO data sheets recommend 100V for both plate and
screen to measure pentode gm for a 6AU6. Strangely for an EF94 (supposedly
identical) it says to use 100V plate and 150V screen. Even with 100V plate
and screen as for 6AU6, my EF94 tubes measure consistently higher gms than
do 6AU6.

IAn
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

wrote:

[...]

About 13 years ago when I started all my investigations to teach myself
how things worked I scrounged all this
junk nobody wanted, like partially wrecked tape recorders, radios,
crummy amps and these became the test beds for many an idea. I bought a
cheap second hand CRO,
and build test gear with nothing but a book or two and Wireless World
articles to go by.
I acumulated so much junk.....and I was never short of stuff to
build a rig to test something.

I doubt I could repeat it now because the world has become cleaned of
its useful junk.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When I started building valve gear over 40 years ago I did much the same
thing. I joined the local radio club and the secretary, who had a TV repair
business, said he had some old stuff to get me started. I went round his
house and in his back garden there was a pile a good 10 feet tall of old
radio and TV chassis. He said I could help myself. The only thing that
limited me was how much I could carry on my push bike.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

The odd thing is the AVO data sheets recommend 100V for both plate
and
screen to measure pentode gm for a 6AU6. Strangely for an EF94
(supposedly
identical) it says to use 100V plate and 150V screen. Even with 100V
plate
and screen as for 6AU6, my EF94 tubes measure consistently higher
gms than
do 6AU6.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...93/6/6AU6A.pdf

Compare characteristic curves at bottom of page 3, for pentode
connection with Vs=150V, against the triode curves at bottom of page
4.

Firstly, notice that the screen current for this pentode is generally
quite a high proportion of total current. I wonder if this is typical
for sharp cut-off pentodes.

Second, notice that Va = 80V takes you close to the knee, where anode
current is beginning to fall sharply and screen current is rising
correspondingly quickly, with respect to falling anode voltage.

Looking at the pentode curves, for Va = Vs = 150V, a change from -2V
to -3V on the grid results in an anode current change of about 2.8mA,
and a screen current change of about 1.2mA.

Looking at the triode curves, for Va = Vs = 150V, a change from -2V
to -3V on the grid gives a change in anode + screen current of about
4mA.

A tester measuring gm for a valve with those characteristics and using
those grid voltages would show 2.8mA/V for the pentode and 4mA/V for
the triode.

The total current change for both is the same, since 1.2 + 2.8 = 4.

Your tests give much greater values, at lower voltages.

Anyway, you can see how the difference between the pentode and triode
arises, considering your change of voltages and the high screen
current.

AVO valve data are derived from a combination of calculation, fudging,
guesswork, and feedback from outraged customers.

AFAIK, valve datasheets were compiled using a similar method, with a
little wishful thinking thrown in for good measure.

cheers, Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Patrick said:

And BTW, when you triode connect the 6AU6, you shoudn't see a higher
gm
than pentode, ever.

Flipper responded:

Are you sure about that?

Of course. Patrick is always sure.

Seems to me that since screen current is lost
in pentode mode but not in triode mode that gm would tend to be
correspondingly higher in triode mode.

Nearly. It is the loss of *variation* in screen current ( ie screen
gm) that makes the difference though. See my last post.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick said:

And BTW, when you triode connect the 6AU6, you shoudn't see a higher
gm
than pentode, ever.

Flipper responded:

Are you sure about that?

Of course. Patrick is always sure.

I have never made any measurements to indicate gm for a beam/pentode
tube in triode
is hugely higher than gm in beam/pentode.

Testing with screen and anode tied together to the same B+ would reveal
equal gm
as would testing anode current measured separately for triode.

When you lazy guys do your measurements for µ, Ra and gm using the
two load gain test, instead of relying on a tube tester then you can say
something
that shows you understand.

Seems to me that since screen current is lost
in pentode mode but not in triode mode that gm would tend to be
correspondingly higher in triode mode.

Yes indeed G2 current is lost in pentode, and is usually up to 25% of
anode current.

But getting 7mA/V in triode compared t 3.9mA/V is plain wrong.

That's the point I was making. How could anyone accept that?
If it is unacceptable, why? what to do to find out why? the mind should
race into question mode
and stay there till answered.
It does mean late nights and sundays away from the PC....

Patrick Turner.

Nearly. It is the loss of *variation* in screen current ( ie screen
gm) that makes the difference though. See my last post.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] ruffrecords@yahoo.com is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

snip

It does mean late nights and sundays away from the PC....

Yippee!!

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick said:

And BTW, when you triode connect the 6AU6, you shoudn't see a
higher
gm
than pentode, ever.

Flipper responded:

Are you sure about that?

Of course. Patrick is always sure.

I have never made any measurements to indicate gm for a beam/pentode
tube in triode
is hugely higher than gm in beam/pentode.

You have never made any measurements with a 6AU6. You seem not to have
made measurements with pentodes at relatively low voltages. And yet
you are still so sure.

Testing with screen and anode tied together to the same B+ would
reveal
equal gm
as would testing anode current measured separately for triode.

Meaningless obfuscation.

When you lazy guys do your measurements for µ, Ra and gm using the
two load gain test, instead of relying on a tube tester then you can
say
something
that shows you understand.

Cheeky boy. I'm not interested in showing I understand, and I can't
see why Flipper would be either. You're the one with a desperate
desire to flaunt your pathos.

Seems to me that since screen current is lost
in pentode mode but not in triode mode that gm would tend to be
correspondingly higher in triode mode.

Yes indeed G2 current is lost in pentode, and is usually up to 25%
of
anode current.

The 6AU6 is what we are talking about. Strut and squirm all you like,
you haven't measured one, or even looked at the datasheet.

But getting 7mA/V in triode compared t 3.9mA/V is plain wrong.

That's the point I was making.

Liar.

How could anyone accept that?
If it is unacceptable, why? what to do to find out why? the mind
should
race into question mode
and stay there till answered.

What would you know about the mind.

It does mean late nights and sundays away from the PC....

You will never learn as long as you think you already know.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

But getting 7mA/V in triode compared t 3.9mA/V is plain wrong.

That's the point I was making.

Liar.

How could anyone accept that?
If it is unacceptable, why? what to do to find out why? the mind
should
race into question mode
and stay there till answered.

What would you know about the mind.

It does mean late nights and sundays away from the PC....

You will never learn as long as you think you already know.

Ian

OK, the text books and data tell us that triode gm for the same Ia
is slightly greater than pentode and I was wrong.

However, one rarely ever uses a trioded pentode at high Ia and gm
measures low
and NOT very much more than what we might use with pentode.
To take advantage of the extra gain possible for the pentode we may have
Ia higher,
so gm then would equal the triode case of be greater than the triode
case.

In all my tests the gm is rarely much greater than pentode, and
wherever possible I try to use triodes in signal stages with as little
current change as possible, ie
as pure voltage gain devices for the lowest THD, where gm does not
matter much at all.

Pentode gain as you should know roughly = gm x RL, and gm is more
important to us.
We need the pentode gain to be able to apply the NFB to correct the THD
and reduce the Rout,
and to nullify variations in gm between samples of pentodes.
The trioded pentode has its NFB applied from anode to the screen, and IS
thus a triode,
but of course saying this won't be gladly agreed with by our resident
dopey Iveson who
has continually denied there could be FB in a triode, without ever
proving why there isn't,
despite the far brighter minds who say there is FB there.

The greater the gm, the higher the gain of the pentode, but not for a
triode,
because of its NFB.

Anyway, the gm varies somewhat a lot with Ia, and for a given Ia it can
be taken to be roughly equal
for triode and pentode as I said, and the difference of 7 to 3.9 isn't
what you might measure with a 6AU6
in either triode or pentode respectively. I have never ever measured or
calculated such a
large difference difference in 6AU6 triode or pentode gm.

If you think I need more correcting, then please carry out the gain
tests I suggested,
lest everyone here think you are a nit picking arsole.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

The trioded pentode has its NFB applied from anode to the screen,
and IS
thus a triode,
but of course saying this won't be gladly agreed with by our
resident
dopey Iveson who
has continually denied there could be FB in a triode, without ever
proving why there isn't,
despite the far brighter minds who say there is FB there.

Your "thus" is awkwardly placed on the brink of topple.

I hoped we might avoid another "internal feedback" skirmish,
considering that it would be unlikely to assist the OP. Easier to
think like the triode connection simply moves the anode to the
position of the screen.

Something that has been pointed out to you many times is that it
should not be necessary to prove that the non-existent does not exist.
That just puts your argument on the level of "conspiracy theory",
flying saucers, ghosts and magic.

Some time ago I stated my position on the matter of "internal
feedback" clearly and definitively and I don't think I've changed my
view much since then. I repeat the post below.

Incidentally, on the issue of real feedback, I made another statement
that you scoffed at:

"If a linear closed loop system has a transfer function in its
feedback
path, then the effect of that function is the same as if it were
placed in the forward loop, and its inverse were placed in the forward
path ahead of the summing point."

Which you may like to consider more humbly, because it is useful in
general, and because in particular it may help you, as you continue to
savage that poor long-suffering VT100, not to through out the baby
with the bathwater.

Me, 08/01/06, he

"Some say there is feedback in triodes. I believe this is not true.

"Our craft of building valve amplifiers is supported by a body of
knowledge contained is such works as RDH4. These works bring
together several elements: definitions and parameters of components,
specification of system requirements, etc., and the specific
application of engineering analysis to the problem of connecting
components together in such a way that the resulting system meets
those requirements.

"All these works use a common set of analytical methods. In general
these methods are themselves not derived or explained in much
detail: the emphasis is on the application. RDH4 may walk you
through a particular calculation, but it will rarely explain why it
uses one method rather than another. Terms such as "bandwidth",
"transient response", "gain" and hundreds of others may be
illustrated in terms of amplifier design, but you will rarely find
an explanation of why these particular concepts are used and whether
there may be alternatives, or how they fit in with the world in
general.

"That set of concepts implicit in our methods of analysis, and the
terminology used for its expression, is in turn supported by the
generic discipline of engineering. Those who have studied
engineering will know that the general concepts are applicable to
all systems, whether they be mechanical, electrical, or whatever.

"The field of engineering underpinning works such as RDH4 is
generally called "control systems engineering". This is the place to
look if you wish, for example, to find the derivation and general
significance of terms like "marginal stability", "bode analysis" and
just about every other concept used in amplifier design. Hence I
have previously urged those who wish for a deeper and more general
knowledge of design, and in particular those who wish to transfer
and apply existing knowledge of mechanical systems (such as car
design), might find an introductory book on control systems
engineering helpful.

"Here are a few chapter headings from "Feedback and Control Systems"
(Di Stefano III et al, McGraw Hill, 1967): Control systems
terminology; Linear systems and differential equations; The Laplace
transform; stability; block diagram algebra and transfer functions
of systems; Signal Flow Graphs; Nyquist design, Bode design.

"Any such work will contain, within the first three chapters, a
definition of "feedback". Every one will contain the same definition
and use the same basic system diagram to illustrate it. They will
all make it clear that the definition is absolute and crucial to the
meaning of all that follows. Get the definition or the diagram
wrong, and you are lost without hope.

"Engineers will know that once you have grasped the theory, you
realise that is the simple part. The real challenge is to frame a
particular problem in such a way that the theory can be applied.
Once you have done this a few times, and you settle into a
particular area of engineering, you get a book such as RDH4 which
saves you the trouble.

"The "canonical" diagram for an open-loop system (ie one without
feedback) comprises an input signal, a transfer function, and an
output signal.

"The "canonical" diagram for a closed-loop system adds to the
open-loop diagram a feedback path and a summing node. The feedback
path *must* be from the output to the summing node. The input must
also be directly to the summing node. If the summing is positive it
is a positive feedback system, otherwise it is a negative feedback
system. There may or may not be a transfer function in the feedback
path.

"And that is that. There is absolutely no room for manoevre. All of
those concepts, and all of those methods of analysis, depend on that
definition. That is the sense in which the word "feedback" is used
in RDH4, and every other sensible exposition or discussion of
amplifier design.

"In its usual mode, the control input to a triode is a voltage
applied between the grid and cathode, Vgk. The output is a voltage
between anode and cathode, Vak. There is a possible feedback path
via the interelectrode capacitance, Cag, often called the Miller
capacitance. However, there is no summing node, and therefore no
feedback. A change in Vak will not be summed with Vgk in the absence
of an
external circuit.

"That external circuit must at least provide a summing node to enable
the Miller effect. A resistor in series with the grid is usually
used to achieve this. Commonly other feedback paths are added for
the purpose of adding bandwidth, reducing distortion, and adjusting
input and output impedance. In each case a summing node is required,
although a single node may serve several paths.

"If a feedback path is connected to a current sensor at the system
output, it is "series derived". If from a voltage sensor it is
"parallel derived". If the summation is of voltage, it is "parallel
applied". If of current it is "series applied". Any of the four
possible permutations are allowable, and are likely to have
different effects.

"There is no such thing as "internal feedback", and there is no
feedback in
triodes.

"There are other more vague meanings of "feedback" (e.g. "audience
feedback"), but they need not concern us. Certainly they should not
be confused with ours.

"Finally, it is possible by contrivance and notional reconfiguration
of inputs and outputs to get *anything* to fit the canonical
diagram. This is true not only of triodes but also of resistors,
ducks, the colour blue and the man in the moon. In these cases the
feedback is a function of the contrivance, and not a property of the
duck or the triode. No real property applies equally to all things,
obviously. All cows are black at night.

"I am serious about looking at a book, honestly. It would be a
revelation for anyone able to follow the maths."

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

Is there anyone else in the group who understands what Ian just
said??????

BTW, the ARC VT100 will sing beautifully when I have finished with my
surgery on its vocal chords.

It will also have 8 adjust pots for each output tube to be biased
separatly
to enable the full benefits of the fixed bias to be realised.
The bias adjustments will be easy, with a screw driver and cheap DVM
access on the top of the amp,
as it should have been done by ARC in the first place.

There will be two red LED facing forward on the front panel to show if
one or more tubes conducts too much
Ik, ie, Ik rises by 50% from 50mA to 80mA for longer than 4 seconds.
There will be an auxilliary transfromer to mamange how the amp turns on
and to shut it down if Ik
on any or all of the output tubes becomes excessive.
After my work, this amp will never make smoke again, have lower THD/IMD,
lower Rout, be more sensitive, and yet
have only 10dB of global NFB as originally intended.
There will be NO dc adust pots for the CCS in the input stages, and no
fragile j-fets for CCS; just ONE
easy to buy reliable MJE340.
6922/6DJ8 will not be used in the balanced amp and buffer CF stage which
fail badly.
Rugged Oz made NOS 6CG7 will be used instead, because they won't fail,
and are more linear in the simpler revised schematic.

The trouble with many high end companies is that they tend to use 49
parts where 29 are fine,
and then they try to tell us its all really good stuff, and charge a
fortune for it,
but really its hopelessly unreliable, and servicing is a pain.

Ian wants to tell us I am a butcher, but for him to think the major
names in tube audio
could not improve their product is sheer stupidity.

I am always on thre side of the music, the reliability, and the
customer's peace of mind.

Below is a repeated pile of hot air from Ian, and not a syllable
about why there IS NFB in triodes.

Ian could have spent the effort proving NO FB exists in a triode,
and he'd never have had to resort to the BS below, which I can promise
everyone is a very tiring read
about many things but nothing on the kernel of the matter, NFB in
triodes.

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

The inputs to a tube are voltages and the output is current. This is
why it's called a transconductance device.

But there does not have to be any current change within a triode.
So it is called a voltage device.
A large voltage change occurs because a smaller one controls voltages.

For a triode the first voltage input is the grid, the second voltage
input is the plate, the summing junction is the cathode,

I don't see the cathode as THE summing junction. But there is a
resultant field action
on the space charge between cathode and grid which results from anode
voltage and grid voltage which do
form a summing junction, and the sum of the fields controls the electron
flow, or the
the charges themselves at the anode if no I change occurs.

and one can
find the transfer characteristics for each input in the tube's
datasheet with the first, and most popular, being a set of curves
showing the effect of the plate input voltage on output current when
the grid input voltage is held constant with the second being a set of
curves showing the effect of grid input voltage on output current when
the plate input voltage is held constant.

The curves for plate characteristics are like the diode Ra curve.

If we then run the current output through a resistor so that it
generates a voltage signal in phase opposition to the grid, and if
that phase opposite signal, representing a portion of the output, is
then applied to the plate input, it sums at the cathode negatively
with the grid signal and, so, is referred to as negative feedback.

ipso facto, case closed.

Hmm, I doubt you've said anywhere enough to convince Ian of anything.

His problem is that he's set his mind against NFB in triodes, and he
can't accept NFB now.
To do that would be to admit defeat, and we could all laugh about why it
took so long for him to "get it".
He hates being the laughing stock. He hates being wrong. He's only happy
when other ppl are wrong, so he can dance on their corpse.
Whoopee, eh.

He does not have a real sense of humour, and this defines to us that he
is a nut because
he takes everything so seriously.

But there isn't anything unreal or unusual about news groups attracting
nut cases.
There are so many nut cases about. They wouldn't be tolerated anywhere
else.

This place is like a pub without a bouncer.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Flipper said:

The inputs to a tube are voltages and the output is current. This is
why it's called a transconductance device.

For a triode the first voltage input is the grid, the second voltage
input is the plate, the summing junction is the cathode, and one can
[...]

Hardly. Your argument equally applies to a resistor, or anything else
in the universe. And you haven't closed a loop anyway...you need to
reduce your logic such that your system has only one input (hence the
"back" in "feedback"). Patrick has realised that, hence the
blah-de-blah about stuff like field effects.

What I have made very clear is that I am using the term feedback in
the strict, engineering sense. Some know what I mean, and others can't
be bothered to find out. There is no shortage of elementary texts on
the subject of control systems engineering. Seriously, check one out.

No reason for me to think you or Patrick ever will.

Once again, this internal feedback mumbo jumbo confuses an issue that
is otherwise quite straightforward. We got the answer right without
it. Engineering theory is intended to be useful, not to mystify.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Flipper said:

[...]

If ya can't see the difference between a resistor and a triode
your'e a real ****in dumb **** for sure.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Iveson wrote:

Flipper said:

[...]

And if you cannot see the similarity between a variable resistor and a
triode then you are just as dumb.

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

flipper wrote

Flipper said:

[...]

No, it doesn't and good luck on finding two independent variables in
one variable device.

You would need to tell me what you are on about, naturally, and how
you think it supports your argument, whatever it is.

And you haven't closed a loop anyway...

Yes, it does close the loop, as I clearly showed

you need to
reduce your logic such that your system has only one input (hence
the
"back" in "feedback"). Patrick has realised that, hence the
blah-de-blah about stuff like field effects.

All electronic devices operate on 'field effects'.

Including resistors, which have internal feedback in exactly the same
sloppy sense you have been using.

What I have made very clear is that I am using the term feedback in
the strict, engineering sense.

Which is precisely what I showed.

No you didn't.

Some know what I mean, and others can't
be bothered to find out. There is no shortage of elementary texts on
the subject of control systems engineering. Seriously, check one
out.

Spent my life working with control systems.

So has everyone. So what? Should I tug my forelock, or give you a
prize?

No reason for me to think you or Patrick ever will.

Less reason now.

Once again, this internal feedback mumbo jumbo confuses an issue
that
is otherwise quite straightforward. We got the answer right without
it. Engineering theory is intended to be useful, not to mystify.

There's no 'mystery' to it for anyone familiar with control theory
and
feedback.

It doesn't make any contribution to the question from the OP, nor to
any other practical problem. It fails to enlighten and so its presence
is a red herring.

Draw a canonical feedback diagram for a triode and I'll show you what
is either unreal or illegal about it. If you manage to make it both
real and legal, I'll show you how a resistor can be represented
similarly.

No use has ever been made of any theory of "internal feedback" in
triodes. These theories (every protagonist has his own different
one...you can't agree amongst yourselves, just like the theologians
who spent centuries arguing about how many angels can stand on a pin)
serve only to cause confusion, such as when SS apologists argue that
all valve amps have feedback because it is inside the valves. You have
all ****ed on our trump card.

Anyway, we have been round these circles many times. I have read all
the references suggested or supplied by everyone here who has
challenged my argument, and all have been risible; but no-one such as
yourself, still at sea, has read any of mine, or those cited by RDH4,
or any other mainstream engineering text. You and the few others still
clinging to straws are making no effort to learn.

Bye.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
The Phantom The Phantom is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:23:48 +0100, wrote:

Is there a simple relationship between the gm of a pentode wired as a
pentode and its gm wired as a triode.?

I have just done some tests on some 6AU6 pentodes. Wired as pentodes I get
the expected gm of around 3.9 mA/V on my AVO two panel tester. If I alter
the settings on the tester to wire them as triodes (suppressor and screen
grids to plate and reducing plate volts from 100 V to 80V) I get gm
readings of over 7mA/V. Is it typical for the triode wired gm to be nearly
twice the pentode wired value?

Cheers

Ian

RDH4, Chapter 2, section 5 (page 34) discusses "Triode operation of
pentodes"

There one finds the statement, "When the cathode current of a valve is
shared by two collecting electrodes (e.g., plate and screen) the mutual
conductance of the whole cathode stream (i.e., the 'triode gm') is shared
in the same proportion as is the current."

They then give 3 examples, the first with the plate and screen voltages
the same when in pentode mode. They say that in that case, "...the method
is exact".

If the plate and screen voltages are not the same in pentode mode (as in
the second example), then they say "...it is necessary to make an
assumption which is only approximately correct...the error being within
about 5% for most conditions."

I notice that on this data sheet:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...93/6/6AU6A.pdf

they use different cathode bias resistors for the various measurements, and
they don't have a case where the screen and plate are at the same voltage
to compare with a triode connection. Furthermore, the suppressor is
connected to the cathode in pentode mode, but to the plate for triode mode.
This makes it hard to do an apples to apples comparison.

Perhaps one could supply the screen through a high value resistor, and
have a large bypass capacitor to ground (with a cathode resistor or not, as
the case may be). Different DC voltages could be applied to plate and
screen in pentode mode, and a measurement of gm made with an audio
frequency AC signal on grid 1 and an AC short on the plate; I think this is
the usual method. Then the ground end of the screen bypass capacitor could
be moved to the plate and gm could then be measured in triode mode, but
still with different DC voltages on plate and screen.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

flipper wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:00:21 +0100, wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Ian Iveson wrote:

Flipper said:

[...]

And if you manually control the 'variable resistor' in response to the
output signal you have a feedback loop with you being part of the
feedback mechanism.

No need. You simply have a non-linear resistor. Just because you CAN
consider it as feedback does not mean it IS. You DO need to 'manually'
vary it to simulate the effect of the grid.

IAn

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default NFB in triodes was Pentode gm wired as a triode

Once again, this internal feedback mumbo jumbo confuses an issue that
is otherwise quite straightforward. We got the answer right without
it. Engineering theory is intended to be useful, not to mystify.

Ian

If ya can't see the difference between a resistor and a triode
your'e a real ****in dumb **** for sure.

Patrick Turner.

And if you cannot see the similarity between a variable resistor and a
triode then you are just as dumb.

Ian

Somebody said a triode was no different to a resistor.

I called the person who said that a ****in real dumb ****.

Now the goal poats have been moved, and the resistor has suddenly become
a variable one,
and I am deemed to be dumb because I will never agree that a triode is
like a
variable resistor.

But get back to the evidence of the device behaviour.

Say you have a EL34 in triode set up at a fixed grid bias, and with 70mA
of dc flowing
with Ea = +350V.

Pda = 24.5 watts and from the dc conditions, if the triode was a
resistance,
triode is an R = 350 / 0.07 = 5,000 ohms.

Suppose we raise the EA to 400V. If it was an R, the R wouldn't change,
and we'd see 80mA
at 400V, as 400 / 0.08 = 5k.

But we will see that Ia increases approximately 40mA to a total of
110mA,
so from the dc conditions, R at 400V = 400 / 0.11 = 3,636 ohms.

How come the resistance went low when we applied a higher Ea?

What magical hand has been operating inside the tube to reduce its
apprarent resistance
looking into the anode circuit?????

Variable resistances could be said to be like a triode, but only if we
say that their adjustment in ohm value
is automatic and internal; if there is an adjust knob someplace, then
its a vraiable resistance,
not a triode, right?

But back at the EL34 triode, which would cook itself to death if left
with Ea = 400V and Ia = 110mA,
we can establish what the DYNAMIC resistance is if we divide the ccanhe
of Ea by the change in Ia,
and in this case 50 volts Ea rise gave us 40mA for this particular
sample, so Ra, the dynamic resistance
is 50 / 0.04 = 1,250 ohms.

Ho come?

The rise in anode voltage raises the force of attraction of electrons at
the space charge
around the cathode.
The flow of electrons is controlled by the sum of anode voltage and grid
voltage.
grid is negative, trying to stop electrons flowing, anode is positive,
encouraging
electrons to flow, and the two fields of opposite polarity sum to form a
resultant field, setting
the steady current in a stae of equilibrium.

If the anode voltage rises while grid voltage remains constant, then
there is more encouragement
given to electrons to flow, and off they go, and it is as if the anode
has a transconductance effect
on the current attracted to itself, ie, when V rises 50V, I rises 40mA,
so there is 0.8mA/V of anode transconductance.

This is all facilitated with an EL34 in triode, but if the screen is
taken to a fixed voltage aof +350V,
then things change drmatically, and for a rise in EA of 50V, we might
find Ia rises only 4.167mA,
so Ra would be calculated at 50 / 0..4167 = 12,000 ohms.

How come when you have 5,000 ohms of static dc resistance the dynamic
resistance is 12,000 ohms?

We have removed nearly all the effect the anode has on its own current,
and the anode gm is 0.0833mA/V,
or about 10% of the effect when the tube is in triode.

So the screen is what is injecting 90% of the effect of the anode.

You can write up all sorts of equations about all this and I leave the
brighter among you to do that.

But the reason why the triode Ra is so low is that the anode voltage or
a screen attatched to it
has a large ability to oppose changes to current flow.

Its NFB.

Any resemblance of a triode to a variable resistance such as a
potentiometer
is simplistic and irrelevant to the issue of NFB in triodes.

Patrick Turner
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

The Phantom wrote:

[...]

Good old RDH4. I have been looking all over the place in that book and
wouldn't you know it there is a chapter on this very question.

If the plate and screen voltages are not the same in pentode mode (as in
the second example), then they say "...it is necessary to make an
assumption which is only approximately correct...the error being within
about 5% for most conditions."

But in general it means that the triode connected gm is higher than the
pentode gm. As a rough rule, screen current is typically 20% of cathode
current so you would expect triode connected gm to be roughly 1/0.8 of the
pentode gm or about 25% higher. Clearly a lot less than the values I was
reading on my AVO tester.

[...]

I think that is the way to go. As soon as the rest of the parts I have
ordered turn up I shall be able to n=make some direct measurements. I also
plan to try out the triode connection where suppressor and anode are
grounded and the screen is used as a plate. RDH4 mentions this as a means
of reducing hum and noise in preamps.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

flipper wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:40:22 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

The inputs to a tube are voltages and the output is current. This is
why it's called a transconductance device.

But there does not have to be any current change within a triode.

Yes, there does. You and I have been round on this before and while it
may be convenient to think in terms of 'ideal' current sources and
assume infinite impedances the real world fact of it is that infinite
impedances do not exist and no current change = no voltage change.

Or, to put mathematics to it, V=IR and if I=0 then V=0 whether you're
talking DC or signal.

The best you could hope for is to postulate the impossible infinite
impedance exists, in which case you have 0 times infinity, which is
undefined and every equation you use to design tube circuits also
becomes undefined because they all depend on small signal current
change per voltage change in their definition.

Your being a silly nit picker on this issue.

Everyone knows that a 20megohm load on a typical triode is a constant
current source,
and it makes no measurable difference to
gain measurements or character parameters if the finite resistance of
the load was
an infinite value of resistance.

Come down to earth. No need to dispense with wisdom ebacue tou get a
silly concept
like zero x infinity.

So it is called a voltage device.

It is not a 'voltage device', it's a transconductance device and it's
listed right there in the datasheet as gm. And there is no transfer
function nor equation that creates an 'output V per input V' without
an external device creating the output V, because the output is I.

But as I keep saying, and as you don't what to know, the tiode will
operate as a gain device
without any ia change. So triode
gm with a CCS anode load cannot be measured; its as if its gm does not
exist.

The gm is fully measurable when the anode voltage is prevented from any
change when grid voltage is changed.

And while it was not common when there were only tubes around, because
tubes generally need a voltage input to the grid, a tube can be used
in it's native voltage in---current out transconductance modality.
And I've done so using transistors as the next device because they
operate with current input and, so, do not necessarily need an
interposing conversion to voltage.

A large voltage change occurs because a smaller one controls voltages.

There is no voltage change unless one runs the output current through
an external device such as, for example, a load resistor or the
impedance of an inductor/transformer.

And you can have a situation where the voltage change occurs without
current change.

For a triode the first voltage input is the grid, the second voltage
input is the plate, the summing junction is the cathode,

I don't see the cathode as THE summing junction. But there is a
resultant field action
on the space charge between cathode and grid which results from anode
voltage and grid voltage which do
form a summing junction, and the sum of the fields controls the electron
flow, or the
the charges themselves at the anode if no I change occurs.

You're quibbling and the same quibble can be made about the
'junctions' in a transistor, which is not a 'bright line' either but a
diffuse region where the field effects take place. We could also get
into how the junction region shrinks and grows depending on field
strength but that unnecessarily complicates first order principles.

Well, the cathode IS NOT the actual place where the summing of anode and
grid voltages occurs.
Its a fact, and the summing point is away from thr actual electrode.
The voltage at the cathode IS NOT the summed voltage that controls I
flow.

I just saw no need to confuse the basics of it with quantum effects,
space charge, nor where the 'virtual' cathode is.

and one can
find the transfer characteristics for each input in the tube's
datasheet with the first, and most popular, being a set of curves
showing the effect of the plate input voltage on output current when
the grid input voltage is held constant with the second being a set of
curves showing the effect of grid input voltage on output current when
the plate input voltage is held constant.

The curves for plate characteristics are like the diode Ra curve.

That's nice. And the characteristics of one PN junction in a
transistor looks like a diode too because, taken alone, it is a diode.

Why try to compare transistors to triodes when the discussion is about
NFB in triodes,
or pentodes wired as triodes?

However, in both case, a triode and transistor, the 'one' thing is not
alone.

If we then run the current output through a resistor so that it
generates a voltage signal in phase opposition to the grid, and if
that phase opposite signal, representing a portion of the output, is
then applied to the plate input, it sums at the cathode negatively
with the grid signal and, so, is referred to as negative feedback.

ipso facto, case closed.

Hmm, I doubt you've said anywhere enough to convince Ian of anything.

His problem is that he's set his mind against NFB in triodes, and he
can't accept NFB now.
To do that would be to admit defeat, and we could all laugh about why it
took so long for him to "get it".
He hates being the laughing stock. He hates being wrong. He's only happy
when other ppl are wrong, so he can dance on their corpse.
Whoopee, eh.

Well, you've described how this news group tends to treat people who
may discover something different than their first impression and it
probably does lend to entrenchment because people don't generally like
to be laughed at.

I used to think there was no internal NFB in triodes until I saw the
light.
OK, it was easy to adjust my thinking. But not the Ian Ivesons of this
world.

But I, for one, don't mind discovering "by golly, I hadn't thought of
that before" and don't consider it to be a 'flaw' in others either.

Quite a few folks resent any change to their understanding of the truth.
Just look at what happened to so many people in history
when the truth arrived in their heads, such as the idea that the sun was
the centre of the
solar system, not the earth, and we go around the sun, and the sun does
not go around us.

Patrick Turner.

He does not have a real sense of humour, and this defines to us that he
is a nut because
he takes everything so seriously.

But there isn't anything unreal or unusual about news groups attracting
nut cases.
There are so many nut cases about. They wouldn't be tolerated anywhere
else.

This place is like a pub without a bouncer.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

...Two voltage inputs, grid and plate, with a current output...

As I said, the canonical system has only one input.

That's all you are getting from me until you demonstrate you have at
least an inkling. You are too rude and ungrateful.

Ian

"flipper" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:47:23 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

flipper wrote

Flipper said:

[...]

Your example of a 'resistor'. Can't have feedback because there
aren't
enough variables to do it.

And you haven't closed a loop anyway...

Yes, it does close the loop, as I clearly showed

you need to
reduce your logic such that your system has only one input (hence
the
"back" in "feedback"). Patrick has realised that, hence the
blah-de-blah about stuff like field effects.

All electronic devices operate on 'field effects'.

Including resistors,

Correct. So your field effects 'bla bla bla' is nonsensical.

which have internal feedback in exactly the same
sloppy sense you have been using.

Nope, and it's impossible because there are not enough independent
variables to make a loop with.

What I have made very clear is that I am using the term feedback
in
the strict, engineering sense.

Which is precisely what I showed.

No you didn't.

Sure did. All it takes is for you to actually look at it and put in
2
cents worth of thought.

Some know what I mean, and others can't
be bothered to find out. There is no shortage of elementary texts
on
the subject of control systems engineering. Seriously, check one
out.

Spent my life working with control systems.

So has everyone. So what? Should I tug my forelock, or give you a
prize?

Come on. At least try to make sense.

No reason for me to think you or Patrick ever will.

Less reason now.

Once again, this internal feedback mumbo jumbo confuses an issue
that
is otherwise quite straightforward. We got the answer right
without
it. Engineering theory is intended to be useful, not to mystify.

There's no 'mystery' to it for anyone familiar with control theory
and
feedback.

It doesn't make any contribution to the question from the OP, nor to
any other practical problem. It fails to enlighten and so its
presence
is a red herring.

Whether is 'enlightens' the OP is quite irrelevant.

Draw a canonical feedback diagram for a triode and I'll show you
what
is either unreal or illegal about it. If you manage to make it both
real and legal, I'll show you how a resistor can be represented
similarly.

Go ahead and give your resistor a shot. Can't be done because there
aren't enough independent variables and you stomping your foot about
it doesn't make it so.

No use has ever been made of any theory of "internal feedback" in
triodes.

I've made use of it. You lose.

Just to illustrate that inventing nonsensical absolutes you can't
possibly know is nonsensical.

These theories (every protagonist has his own different
one...you can't agree amongst yourselves, just like the theologians
who spent centuries arguing about how many angels can stand on a
pin)
serve only to cause confusion, such as when SS apologists argue that
all valve amps have feedback because it is inside the valves. You
have
all ****ed on our trump card.

Hehe. Well, sorry about your trump card but facts don't change just
because they're inconvenient to your game.

Anyway, we have been round these circles many times. I have read all
the references suggested or supplied by everyone here who has
challenged my argument, and all have been risible; but no-one such
as
yourself, still at sea, has read any of mine, or those cited by
RDH4,
or any other mainstream engineering text. You and the few others
still
clinging to straws are making no effort to learn.

I've read all your arguments and they are mostly arm waving and foot
stomping "I'm right, you're wrong" with a complete ignoring of
anything that's presented to you.

A portion
of the output is sampled by the plate load and applied as a voltage
signal to the plate. The two sum at the cathode and, viola, negative
feedback.

And I can use the thing without feedback by running the plate into a
current mode device, like a transistor, and I do just that with a
current mirror in my "PC Speaker Tube Hybrid" amp. And I did it
because I wanted the gain that would otherwise get sucked up by the
local negative feedback.

Bye.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

But in general it means that the triode connected gm is higher than
the
pentode gm. As a rough rule, screen current is typically 20% of
cathode
current so you would expect triode connected gm to be roughly 1/0.8
of the
pentode gm or about 25% higher. Clearly a lot less than the values I
was
reading on my AVO tester.

But the 6AU6 has much greater screen current that that. If you follow
my link to the datasheet and the arithmetic, then the ratio given by
your meter is about right, especially if you take into account the
different voltages you used.

For purpose of *comparison* there is not much wrong with the AVO,
AFAIK, even if it is not calibrated accurately.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

But in general it means that the triode connected gm is higher than
the
pentode gm. As a rough rule, screen current is typically 20% of
cathode
current so you would expect triode connected gm to be roughly 1/0.8
of the
pentode gm or about 25% higher. Clearly a lot less than the values I
was
reading on my AVO tester.

But the 6AU6 has much greater screen current that that. If you follow
my link to the datasheet and the arithmetic, then the ratio given by
your meter is about right, especially if you take into account the
different voltages you used.

I don't see that but maybe I am looking at the wrong part of the data sheet.
The part I see under 'Characteristics and Typical Operation' has a column
with screen and plate volts both 100V and a gm of 3.9mA/V. These are the
voltages my AVO tester is set up with for meauding the 6AU6 in pentode
mode. The plate current is 5mA and the screen current is 2.1mA, about 30%
of cathode current - OK that's higher than my 20% figure but not hugely.
This gives a triode equivalent gm of 3.9 x 7.1/5 = 5.5mA/V, still rather
lower than the 7 I was measuring.

I can see in the right hand column where the plate is at 250V and the screen
at 150 that the gm rises to 5.2. The triode equivalent under these
conditions works out at about 7.2mA/V which is much closer to what I
measured but with rather different voltages.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Other Ian said

[...]

Firstly, 30% is much greater than 20% in my book. 50% greater, in
fact.

Second, the issue is gm not current, ie rate of change of current with
voltage, dIa/dVgc.

My inspection of the curves was made at 150V because the given pentode
curves are with the screen at 150V

Screen gm at that voltage is about 1.2mA/V, whereas anode gm is 2.8.
That is over 40%. When does a difference become "huge"?

As you get closer to the knee of the curves, the proportion increases
further.

All I am saying is that your meter may be showing the right ratio of
values, although it may not be showing the correct absolute values. I
have an AVO CT 160 that is fairly accurate in the middle of its
ranges, but rather poor at the extremes. However, it has always given
usably accurate comparisons, in that the error is reliable and
favourably distributed.

There is much greater provision for calibration on yours, but AFAIK
the fundaments of its operation are equally bizarre, using AC on
screen and anode.

cheers, Ian1

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:41:35 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:21:08 GMT, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

...Two voltage inputs, grid and plate, with a current output...

As I said, the canonical system has only one input.

Look at a tube datasheet and, in particular, Plate V and grid V.
That's 2.

Pay close attention, folks. Here is where the argument
takes its big twist.

Thanks, as always, to all,

Chris Hornbeck
"Money doesn't buy happiness. But happiness isn't everything."
- Jean Seberg
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Chris said:

As I said, the canonical system has only one input.

Look at a tube datasheet and, in particular, Plate V and grid V.
That's 2.

Pay close attention, folks. Here is where the argument
takes its big twist.

Engineers can't afford to entertain big twists, Chris, or to argue
about how many angels can stand on a pin. That's what convention is
for. Hence most things they make don't fall apart because one man's
common sense is another's catastrophic blunder. DO NOT SCALE. ASK.

The canonical system has only one input.

This is not just about systems either. The whole principal of
*analysis* depends on it, together with its partner, the principle of
superposition.

How would you arrive at a bode plot, for example, for a system with
two inputs? Perhaps at two unrelated frequencies? Can't be done.

Either the inputs are functionally related, in which case you would
reconfigure and reduce to one input, or they are not, in which case
you would need to posit two systems, which may be nested, or may be in
series, or in parallel.

For conventional systems theory to apply, and for its methods to be
valid, each system considered must conform to the canonical model.

The canonical model has an input that arrives at a summing point, from
which a forward function leads to the output. From the output, a
feedback function leads to the same single summing point.

Notice there can be one input only.

Not two, or three, or any other multiplicity.

Just one.

1

cheers, Ian1

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:

Other Ian said

[...]

My data book for 6AU6 has the following data,
Ig2 = 4.3mA, Eg2 = 150V, when Ia = 10.6mA, Ea 250V, gm = 5.2mA/V,
And
Ig2 = 2.1mA, Eg2 = 100mA when Ia = 5.0mA, Ea = 100V, gm = 3.9mA/V

So over a broad range of voltages, Ig2 = 40% of Ia.

However, if you go to the RCA sheets with 6AU6 TRIODE curves, at Ia =
10mA and Ea = 250V
the µ = 38.6 and Ra = 9.1k, and gm = µ / Ra = 38.6 / 9,100 = 4.24 mA/V

Who was it who told me that triode gm was HIGHER than pentode gm????????

Who was it who mocked me like a howling hyena because
I said triode gm would not be higher than pentode gm?

Ian Iveson of course.

This arch would be know all who really is a chief ****wit
who only ever has got a prize for being long winded without
actually saying anything anyone can understand.
He refuses to do the hard yards
to examine data sheets or perform breadboard
experiments to measure what a 6AU6 will actually do.

If ya wanna see what you get with a 6AU6 in triode or pentode,
set one up in a gain circuit and ****in measure the *******!

If yer don't look, yer won't know!

Patrick Turner.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] ruffrecords@yahoo.com is offline

Ian Iveson wrote:

Other Ian said

[...]

Depends on its effect.

Second, the issue is gm not current, ie rate of change of current with
voltage, dIa/dVgc.

Er, I thought it was about how gm is split in the ratio of the plate and
screen currents - so its about current AND gm.

My inspection of the curves was made at 150V because the given pentode
curves are with the screen at 150V

Screen gm at that voltage is about 1.2mA/V, whereas anode gm is 2.8.
That is over 40%. When does a difference become "huge"?

When it makes a significant change to the answer. And no, I am not going to
define significant ;-)

As you get closer to the knee of the curves, the proportion increases
further.

All I am saying is that your meter may be showing the right ratio of
values, although it may not be showing the correct absolute values. I
have an AVO CT 160 that is fairly accurate in the middle of its
ranges, but rather poor at the extremes. However, it has always given
usably accurate comparisons, in that the error is reliable and
favourably distributed.

OK

There is much greater provision for calibration on yours, but AFAIK
the fundaments of its operation are equally bizarre, using AC on
screen and anode.

Yes it is odd isn't it. They even have (had) a patent on the technique.

Ian
cheers, Ian1

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] ruffrecords@yahoo.com is offline

[...]