Posted to rec.audio.pro
Emiliano Grilli Emiliano Grilli is offline

Default Nagra QSV2 time varier question

Hi all,

I have a Nagra 4.2 and I intend to use it (I know it could sound like a blasphemy) as a tape echo. So I went and bought a QSV2 time varier, but when I connect it to the ACC input on the left of the recorder, the transport speeds up like in fast forward and moving the QSV2 controls does not change the speed.

What I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Emiliano Grilli wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Nagra 4.2 and I intend to use it (I know it could sound like a bla=
sphemy) as a tape echo. So I went and bought a QSV2 time varier, but when I=
connect it to the ACC input on the left of the recorder, the transport spe=
eds up like in fast forward and moving the QSV2 controls does not change th=
e speed.

What I am doing wrong?

I haven't used the QSV2 with the 4.2, only wiht the IV-S machine where it
requires the QSLS synchronizer to operate. It produces a 60 Hz pilot tone
signal that the recorder locks to in place of the pilot on the tape.

I think it should work with the 4.2, but the machine has to be in pilot mode
locked to synch track for it to chase.

If the machine is running away, then either the jumper isn't set right or
it's not in pilot mode, or the signal it's getting from the QSV2 (which you
should check with a scope) isn't in-range. It should be very close to 60 Hz.
(Or else the PLL in the recorder is bad but you'd notice it wouldn't lock
up to pilot if that were the case.)

WHEN you're operating in pilot mode locked to sync track, the QSV2 will
allow you to shift the operating speed slightly (something like 10%) so that
you can hand-synchronize signals. It does not allow a vast speed range, only
a small speed variation which would not be useful for tape echo.

It's not like Ampex varispeed that will go all over the map... with this
machine unless you get someone to build an external speed controller for
you, you will have really only three speeds. But that should be plenty
useful for effects.