Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default EV 468 arrived today

it's criminal how good this thing sounds for what I paid for it.

I just put on the headphones and played some guitar through it. I will definitely have to buy a second. I can see this getting used a lot in places where I want musicians in the same room but need to control the spill.

It still needs a bit of distance on the guitar- any closer than about 20" on the classical guitar and it's too close, 24" or further is still better, but that then requires almost too much gain for these preamps to stay quiet.. I imagine it would be a similar situation for upright bass. I have a feeling it will be superior to the current production 421 for upright however..

the nice thing about using a dynamic instead of the schoeps or sennheiser mkh40 for very close miking is that those (especially those) condensers pick up every single little extraneous finger noise or breathing sound or whatever unless you get some real distance- those mics seem to sound best at 36" at least or even better further from the instrument, and that isn't always practical in many ensemble situations with this instrument. that's why I often like ribbons, but the ones that I really like are too expensive to justify owning (as much as I would actually use them) and many studios these days (and especially around here) don't have them anymore!

Any, thanks Scott for the suggestion on this EV, I'm looking forward to trying it in various situations. I think it will be a good problem solver in the kit and it was unbelievably inexpensive.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

The proof here, of course, will be what does spill sound like through it. Especially things like brass or cymbals.....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
it's criminal how good this thing sounds for what I paid for it.

I just put on the headphones and played some guitar through it. I will def=
initely have to buy a second. I can see this getting used a lot in places =
where I want musicians in the same room but need to control the spill.

As I said, it's not as good as a 441 in that regard, but it's not half bad
and it's amazingly cheap for what it is.

An interesting exercise is to take an instrument in a room and see how far
you can pull the microphone back from the source before it doesn't sound
"good" by whatever measure your mind considers good. You'll find that
the 468 can't be pulled back as far as a 441, and a 441 can't be pulled
back as far as a B&K, but, well, considering what it is, it's pretty good.

Any, thanks Scott for the suggestion on this EV, I'm looking forward to try=
ing it in various situations. I think it will be a good problem solver in =
the kit and it was unbelievably inexpensive.

It's one of the microphones that I always travel with. It doesn't cost much
or take up much room and it's remarkably useful.