Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default The Next Hurdle

There are a lot of consumer camcorders being sold with built-in 5 channel
microphones and even more home theater systems with all kinds of surround
sound playback circuits, speaker kits, and beyond. The number of channels
keeps increasing and extras such as Atmos being developed. I have cracked
the code on getting sound out of my Audition 5.5 surround sound card and now
I can mix surround to my heart's content.

But just try and get that sound onto a disc! I am still going in circles
trying to get some information that makes sense. It would seem right off the
top that the popular video editing programs like Premiere and Vegas would do
it as a matter of course, right? Well, my Premiere Pro CC on my big computer
won't even put out sound when I try to edit surround. There are stories of
needing to buy a program called Surcode to encode DD 5.1. They will give you
3 free tries and then after that you can buy it for a mere $300. Must be a
licensing thing. I think I succeeded one time in getting a surround track
into Encore without going through Premiere, but I can't duplicate that feat
any more, no matter how carefully I try all of the possible mastering
routines.

I will try fresh maybe tomorrow or the next day, go into a simple video
program with a video that has surround sound from a camcorder, and see what
happens. Then if that works to some degree maybe I can fool it into doing my
pure audio tracks - put some black video or something.

I have tried Googling up an answer several times, but no matter how I word
the question I get a runaround. I have hope that someone out there will have
done it before me, and can just tell me steps a, b, c, and so on. Does
anyone in this group do surround sound?

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Gary Eickmeier wrote:
[...]

Yes, this is what people were telling you earlier in this thread. Once
you have 5.1 PCM files, you need to be able to put them onto a release
format. This is what used to be called "mastering" but these days is
more often called "authoring."

How you do it and what software you use depends entirely on whether you
want to create a compressed AC-3 (Dolby Digital) or dts CD, a DVD-A, or
a BC-A disc and what kind of player you intend on playing it on.

If you want to create an AC-3 or dts disc, you will have to buy software
for which licensing fees for these encoders have been paid.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

As I said, I am going for Dolby Digital on a DVD. It's just not clear
exactly how to do it. Working on it, but if anyone has been there, done
that, I would be interested.

Gary

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Gary Eickmeier wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
As I said, I am going for Dolby Digital on a DVD. It's just not clear
exactly how to do it. Working on it, but if anyone has been there, done
that, I would be interested.

Yes, but this makes no sense.

The thing is, if you're using Dolby Digital encoding, you can just make a
playable CD with AC-3 data on it, not a DVD. There is no need for a DVD
and the associated overhead.

But, if you want to create a DVD, there is plenty of space on it so there
is no need to Dolby Surround encode it, you can just use straight PCM.

A good introduction to making AC-3 encoded CD-Rs can be found at:
http://fitsandstarts.com/docs/burning_for_surround.pdf
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Well, that's a start! I am supposed to have the Surcode encoder trial
version on my Premiere Pro, but I haven't yet found how to do it. The Sonic
Foundry costs over 700, the Surcode is just 249, which is doable. I will
start there and report my findings.

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
As I said, I am going for Dolby Digital on a DVD. It's just not clear
exactly how to do it. Working on it, but if anyone has been there, done
that, I would be interested.

Yes, but this makes no sense.

The thing is, if you're using Dolby Digital encoding, you can just make a
playable CD with AC-3 data on it, not a DVD. There is no need for a DVD
and the associated overhead.

But, if you want to create a DVD, there is plenty of space on it so there
is no need to Dolby Surround encode it, you can just use straight PCM.

A good introduction to making AC-3 encoded CD-Rs can be found at:
http://fitsandstarts.com/docs/burning_for_surround.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I have succeeded in importing into Premiere Pro CC, then exporting as an AC3
5.1 file. I then imported into Nero Video and out to Dolby Digital 5.1 video
file, straight to disc, which has to be played on a Blu-ray DVD player. It
seems like the rear channels are weak compared to before all of the
exporting and transferring. But I will keep on it and carefully document
what steps and software I used and report back.

I have been doing all this as audio only files, but it might be a lot easier
if I just go ahead and put some video along with it, then it will think I am
authoring a normal surround DVD, and it might be a lot easier. You can
generate a black frame in Premiere and then make it any length you want.

Gary

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
As I said, I am going for Dolby Digital on a DVD. It's just not clear
exactly how to do it. Working on it, but if anyone has been there, done
that, I would be interested.

Yes, but this makes no sense.

The thing is, if you're using Dolby Digital encoding, you can just make a
playable CD with AC-3 data on it, not a DVD. There is no need for a DVD
and the associated overhead.

But, if you want to create a DVD, there is plenty of space on it so there
is no need to Dolby Surround encode it, you can just use straight PCM.

A good introduction to making AC-3 encoded CD-Rs can be found at:
http://fitsandstarts.com/docs/burning_for_surround.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:46:21 -0400 "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote in article

I have succeeded in importing into Premiere Pro CC, then exporting as an AC3

Gary, does that mean you have an Adobe CC subscription? If you do, have
you installed the latest version of Audition? I find its performance to
be far better than the pre-CC versions and there are nice new features.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Jason" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:46:21 -0400 "Gary Eickmeier"
wrote in article

I have succeeded in importing into Premiere Pro CC, then exporting as an
AC3

Gary, does that mean you have an Adobe CC subscription? If you do, have
you installed the latest version of Audition? I find its performance to
be far better than the pre-CC versions and there are nice new features.

No, I have a Premiere Pro CC subscription for just $19.95 a month. I already
owned the CS4 suite when they switched over to the subscription system.
Then, I had a need to be able to edit 4k video on my precious Premiere,
which meant getting the newest version. After editing in Premiere, what you
have for 4k video is a file, which can then be put on a flash drive and
inserted into your 4k video system. There are no 4k burning programs yet, or
4k Encore, so I simply output my 4k material that I need on disc as a 2k Hi
Def file for burning to Blu-ray. The most happy situation when you do that
is that the resulting images are almost indistinguishable from the original
4k material! This may be due to the higher resolution of the 4k master video
or a better camcorder, but I really don't care why it is, it is just so
amazing!

My Audition 5.5 is more than adequate for what I need to do. I can now mix
5.1 to my heart's content and hear the results on my computer speaker
system. Outputting to disc is now where I am, and I need a lot of study on
this. I have made some 5.1 discrete surround DVDs, but the two problems so
far are 1) no separate tracks, just one big long track for all numbers and
2) the rear channels are way too low to contribute to the full experience. I
have even made them artificially louder in the mixing stage, but doesn't
seem to make much difference.

If there is some standard work flow to make 5.1 surround sound on disc, I
would love to know what it is, rather than my noodling around and guessing
and punching and trying

Gary