Posted to rec.audio.pro
randall_o randall_o is offline

Default nOob question: MIDI controller ???

Is a synthesizer keyboard like this one (Casio WK-3800) also able to
be used as a "MIDI controller"?
http://www.casio.com/products/Musica...chnical_Specs/

I am new to MIDI, going to buy Cubase sequencer software to play with
sequencer music for film scoring. I have been told I will need a MIDI
controller. I have seen some on the web such as by M-audio that appear
to be plain keyboards that hook up to the PC and e.g. Cubase and make
no sound on their own. But if possible I would rather buy a keyboard
that can also play all by itself like the Casio WK-3800 synthesizer so
that I can learn to play better keyboard, play and hear the notes
without always being attached to a PC, etc. So I guess my basic
question is can synthesizer keyboards work as "midi controllers"? Any
help or advice on this is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
~randall
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 08:29:48 -0700 (PDT), randall_o
wrote:

I am new to MIDI, going to buy Cubase sequencer software to play with
sequencer music for film scoring. I have been told I will need a MIDI
controller. I have seen some on the web such as by M-audio that appear
to be plain keyboards that hook up to the PC and e.g. Cubase and make
no sound on their own. But if possible I would rather buy a keyboard
that can also play all by itself like the Casio WK-3800 synthesizer so
that I can learn to play better keyboard, play and hear the notes
without always being attached to a PC, etc. So I guess my basic
question is can synthesizer keyboards work as "midi controllers"? Any
help or advice on this is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Yes. If it has a MIDI Out socket (or the equivalent on a USB
connection) it will do the job.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda[_6_] philicorda[_6_] is offline

wrote:

I am new to MIDI, going to buy Cubase sequencer software to play with
sequencer music for film scoring. I have been told I will need a MIDI
controller. I have seen some on the web such as by M-audio that appear
to be plain keyboards that hook up to the PC and e.g. Cubase and make no
sound on their own. But if possible I would rather buy a keyboard that
can also play all by itself like the Casio WK-3800 synthesizer so that I
can learn to play better keyboard, play and hear the notes without
always being attached to a PC, etc. So I guess my basic question is can
synthesizer keyboards work as "midi controllers"? Any help or advice on
this is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Yes. If it has a MIDI Out socket (or the equivalent on a USB
connection) it will do the job.

It might be worth looking for a second hand synth with a decent keyboard
action if it's main use is to be a controller, and you don't need amazing
sound just for practice.
The keyboards on the home casio keyboards like the one mentioned can be
quite nasty.

For OK action, real cheap, but nasty sounds a Yamaha DX21 might do. For a
little more, Kurzweil K2000 is quite playable. Also Roland D-50.

A real overlooked bargain is the Alesis Fusion. Nice keyboard, very
powerful synth+sampler and they were selling for very little second hand
last time I looked.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

be used as a "MIDI controller"?http://www.casio.com/products/Musica...tation/WK-3800...

I am new to MIDI, going to buy Cubase sequencer software to play with
sequencer music for film scoring. I have been told I will need a MIDI

Randall

Cubase sequencer software to play with
sequencer music for film scoring.

If you are serious in what you say above then I would respectfully
suggest that your whole thinking may be flawed.

If you are aiming at a career in film scoring or even taking the art
seriously then you are up against some double died serious dudes ...
they would make a symphony out of 'three blind mice' .... and an opera
out of 'twinkle, twinkle little star'.

Without exception they all use Protools or Logic7 ... and the
preferred keyboards are Korg Triton [not LE], Yamaha Motif and
Proteus. They all take care of your Midi worries admirably. Coupled
with a dual or quad cored Mac that would give you a fighting chance
against the big boys.

Going the other route ... i.e. Cubase and cheap keyboards will only
end up with you throwing away good money, becoming disheartened with
the results and throwing yourself over a cliff....well, not that
extreme, possibly throwing yourself over a kerb.

Seriously, if you want serious results you need serious kit .... it
ends up cheaper in the long run ... and it's lovely taking the
licensing royalty money to the bank!

Regards
Dec [Cluskey]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Cyberserf Cyberserf is offline

On Mar 8, 11:29*am, randall_o wrote:
[...]

Just to add to whats been said IMHO, Steinberg Nuendo would be more
appropriate for film scoring (that's what it is made for). It is used
by many in the industry, indeed Paul Haslinger (Tangarine Dreams)
Slaves his PT rig to Nuendo. Here's an article:

http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_tangerine_dream_big/

Cheers, CS

Noob question about compression... Evan Deez Pro Audio 5 August 26th 08 12:44 AM
Noob question about distortion [email protected] Tech 13 March 4th 08 12:47 AM
Noob Protools question Bob Stephens Pro Audio 2 February 28th 05 07:59 PM
noob / subwoofer question not_yet Tech 0 October 31st 04 01:33 AM
Logic Audio question...how (if possible) do I assign MIDI controller messages to a soft synth or plugin? Squares Pro Audio 4 November 1st 03 06:13 PM