Posted to rec.audio.tech
RF[_3_] RF[_3_] is offline

Default OT? - Materials to Dampen Sound in Cars

This is probably an OT but I think it's not to far
off.

I have an old Mercedes Benz car that developed a
strange smell. I tracked it down to an acoustic
insulating layer between the inside of the car and
the engine.

This stuff was in two layers, one a spongy rubber
with a hard smooth back and on the other side
there is a layer of compressed fiber- about 3/8"
thick. The spongy stuff is emitting the bad smell
and I need to get rid of it.

This material was attached to the back of the two
panels that are over the driver's and passengers
legs area and also inside the dash.

I could rip off that spongy stuff from the
compressed fiber layer and replace it, but with
what material? I believe the intention of the
spongy part was to dampen the sound from the
engine when it hit those hard plastic panels.

Comments much appreciated.

TIA
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

RF wrote:
[...]

Is this the kind of stuff?

http://www.automobiletrim.com/sound-proofing.html

It sounds to me like your car has been flooded at some point.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

"RF" wrote in message
[...]

Parts Express has various dampening materials. Some with peel a stick
backing. www.partsexpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
RF[_3_] RF[_3_] is offline

jamesgangnc wrote:
"RF" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Don and James.

Will check into those links.

The car was never flooded. Water never saw the
inside of it and it has spent at least 95% of its
life under cover. I think the material is just
disintegrating.

Have a great weekend :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Jun 21, 5:30*pm, I. Care wrote:
In article , says... Comments much appreciated.

A product used alot in car stereo applications to reduce outside noise
is Dynamat:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...roduction.html

Your local car audio install shop probably carries it for DIY installs,
or you can pay them to install it for you.

There are lots of similar products.
--
I. Care

_____________________
Thanks I Care!

I've been looking for this for 5 years. Pyle used to make a similar
adhesive product but I can no longer find it online.

-CC

Posted to rec.audio.tech
RF[_3_] RF[_3_] is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Jun 21, 5:30 pm, I. Care wrote:
In article , says... Comments much appreciated.

A product used alot in car stereo applications to reduce outside noise
is Dynamat:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_...roduction.html

Your local car audio install shop probably carries it for DIY installs,
or you can pay them to install it for you.

There are lots of similar products.
--
I. Care

_____________________
Thanks I Care!

I've been looking for this for 5 years. Pyle used to make a similar
adhesive product but I can no longer find it online.

-CC

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , RF wrote:
[...]

I have always suggested trying 3/8 inch rubber floor mat such as
http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_...=Cadillac+Mats
and The Home Depot did sell some runners of very thick rubber. Finding
a way to attach would be the hardest part. Rugular Dynamat is too thin
and some relly good Coustastuff is not available any more from what
see.

Might even try the Mercedes Club of America.
A friend and coworker is tributed there, Marshall Booth.
He would have had some good ideas on sound being a sound man and the
sound guy for orginal Night of the Living Dead.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
RF[_3_] RF[_3_] is offline

GregS wrote:
In article , RF wrote:
[...]

Thanks Greg5.

Do you know anything about the acoustic damping
properties of these mats?
Acoustic material behavior can be very deceptive.

" Night of the Living Dead." -- ooohhh!!! Just
thinking about that old flick makes
my hair straighten out. Nothing else thank
goodness ;-)