Brad Behm

Default Yamaha RX-V1300 Receiever; Highest volume=zero?

I just purchased a new Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver to replace my failed Sony
STR-D1015. The Yamaha has even surpassed my most optimistic expectations!!
I'd thought the Sony STR-D1015 was a pretty good receiver so I was
unprepared for the contrast. What a surprise when at 100 watts per channel
the new Yamaha so utterly out-classed the Sony STR-D1015 (110 evidently
smaller watts). Even when new the Sony never came close the this level of
performance...played through my six year old Infinity SM-125s the Yamaha
produces highs that peel my skin off and lows that move furniture! WOW!!

I have a question about the volume setting display. The digital display
indicates the volume level whenever it is adjusted. At the low end, it
begins at -99 Db (that's negative ninety-nine). As one turns up the volume,
the display works its way up through the negative numbers all the way to a
Atlas-5 maximum volume of 0db aka ZERO. I confess my ignorance...I just
don't get it. Obviously there is an intelligent reason for this since
everything about this receiver is extremely well thought out and executed.
Could someone enlighten me please. Why start out in the negative numbers
and work up to zero? How can there be negative decibels? Thanks in advance
Brad

BTW, any informed opinions regarding the RX-V1300 or Yamaha Audio in general
would be welcomed.

Arny Krueger

"Brad Behm @localnet.com" bradbehmIhatespam wrote in message

I have a question about the volume setting display. The digital
display indicates the volume level whenever it is adjusted. At the
low end, it begins at -99 Db (that's negative ninety-nine).

Read that as "99 dB below full scale"

99 dB is LOTS, so in common terms, this could be called "A whole lot less
than full output"

As one
turns up the volume, the display works its way up through the
negative numbers all the way to a Atlas-5 maximum volume of 0db aka
ZERO.

Read that as "0 dB below full scale"

0 dB is no difference, so in common terms, this could be called "no
different than full output", or simply "full output"

I confess my ignorance...I just don't get it. Obviously
there is an intelligent reason for this since everything about this
receiver is extremely well thought out and executed. Could someone
enlighten me please. Why start out in the negative numbers and work
up to zero?

Volume controls are attenuators. Lots of negative dBs means the same thing
as lots of attenuation.

How can there be negative decibels?

Attenuation is commonly expressed as negative dBs. Amplification is commonly
expressed as positive dBs.