Default Replacement CD6+ Fluid for Discwasher Hydrobath

The Discwasher Hydrobath and CD6+ solution has been discontinued for
some time. Can anyone make any recommendations about making up my own
solution?

Many thanks,

Rupesh Patre

dale

try this pre made fluid
http://www.discdoc.com/

and look here in the archives of the association of recorded sound
collections for recipes
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html

Scott Dorsey

The Discwasher Hydrobath and CD6+ solution has been discontinued for
some time. Can anyone make any recommendations about making up my own
solution?

Since the thing basically flings the fluid off the disc so that it does
not dry on the disk, you have no worry about leaving residue. All you
have to make sure is that you have a solution that won't etch the styrene
surface and will remove most junk.

I would suggest that the Nitty Gritty and VPI LP-cleaning fluids are
probably close to what you want. You could try a 25% solution of
isopropanol in distilled water, with 1 cc of Photo-Flo per four
liters. (Use the 92% isopropanol from the drug store and avoid the
rubbing alcohol grades, which often have additives).

What would the difference between using pure Isopropanol plus
surfactant and 25% solution of isopropanol in distilled water.

I planned to use pure Isopropanol with some L'Art du Son record
cleaning fluid

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue12/LArtduSon.htm

I believe that this contains suitable surfactants. The manufacturers
have said that it is suitable.

Rupesh

Scott Dorsey

What would the difference between using pure Isopropanol plus
surfactant and 25% solution of isopropanol in distilled water.

Cost and evaporation rate.

I planned to use pure Isopropanol with some L'Art du Son record
cleaning fluid

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue12/LArtduSon.htm

I believe that this contains suitable surfactants. The manufacturers
have said that it is suitable.

It makes sense, but it's also very expensive for what it is.

William Sommerwerck

Since the thing basically flings the fluid off the disc so that it
does not dry on the disk, you have no worry about leaving
residue. All you have to make sure is that you have a solution
that won't etch the styrene surface and will remove most junk.

CDs are polycarbonate. The jewel case is styrene.

William Sommerwerck

What would the difference between using pure isopropanol plus
surfactant and 25% solution of isopropanol in distilled water.

Pure isopropanol would be a bit pricey. You don't need pure alcohol.

If you cut 92% isopropanol 3:1 with distilled water, you've got a 23%
solution. A few drops of Photo-Flo costs next to nothing.

Thanks for the advice.

I noticed that www.kenneke.com are still selling the Discwasher
Hydrobath itself. I thought that it was discontinued many years ago.

Rupesh