Howard Ferstler wrote:
OK, your point is that I was wrong about the way those wires
could have interacted with his speakers, and it is very
possible, given that I did not have a hand's on relationship
with his system, that I was wrong. In principle, I do not
see how any short in parallel with speakers could allow
those speakers to make any sound whatsoever,

And that's because you simply don't understand the principles.
It has little to do with "hand's on relationships" with any
particular system. A reasonable comprehension of Ohm's Law
would be one of the principles that it would be good to start
with. Follow up with familiarizing yourself with Kirchoff's
current and voltage laws.

And if you make it through that unscathed, then start to explore
all the various and sundry protection mechanisms in those products
about which you choose to hold forth.

even at very low output levels,

KCL would be your clue here, if you were to bother to learn
the principles.

but perhaps his little "short" was not
really a short at all and only involved one thin strand of a
multi-strand cable.

There is no such thing as dead short, not in this universe.
Again, KCL would be your friedn had you bothered to include
it in your repetoire of principles.

Wonders never cease.

They seem to go into a coma in your presence, though.

Fortunately, the topic area within a book about basic AV
systems does not involve the kind of problem solving you
take so seriously.

A problem that you passed off as something else entirely,
given your demonstrable lack of facility in the basic
principles involved.

Margaret von B.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Howard Ferstler wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the confirmation, Mr. Pierce. :-)

I hope that all the readers of the magazines who promote Ferstler's garbage
will see this and terminate their subscriptions. It is time to get some
honesty, professionalism and competence back to the audio press. Quacks like
Ferstler and his supporters deserve to be run out of business for good.

Cheers,

Margaret

Paul Richardson

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Olden Doode" wrote in message

SNIP

Instead of nitpicking and slamming belittling one another it would
probably be far more beneficial to focus those feelings of insecurity and
inadequacy on getting some integrity and accountability back into the
economy and political system that made the free world great in the first
place.

**Dear Mr/Ms Top Poster (which, in itself, tells us a great deal about you),

Please be aware of the following:

No one is belittling anyone. Most of us are attempting to educate Mr
Ferstler, who, despite repeated posts, refuses to appreciate the error of
his ways. This is a very important thing to note, as Mr Ferstler is a
published author, with the ability to influence many people. It is utterly
critical for Mr Ferstler to understand, so he, in turn, can impart the
correct knowledge to his (mostly novice) readers.

Secondly: Who says that the "free world" is great? Do you imagine that those
people in the 'sweat shops' of the Third World are happy? Do you imagine
that those who have allowed huge levels of environmental degradation in
thier lands, so the West will be satisfied with their minerals/crops/beef,
et al feel that the "free world" is great? Do you imagine that the 44
Million Americans living below the poverty line feel that the "free world"
is great?

Lastly: Voting George W Bush into office was aguably the worst, most
dangerous vote that the US population has engaged in in the entire history
of mankind. Removing that criminal (and his puppet masters) from office
should be the most important act of the "free world". Then and only then,
can some kind of accountability be engaged in.

The "free world" is based on the ability of people to speak their mind. I am
doing so. Just as you are.

Yeah, those conservatives are real free market mavens, until they start
losing money or votes in the free market, then they want government
intervention. Please reference the bail out of the mexican banks several
years ago. Or how about complaints about China taking advantage of its
grossly low labor rates etc (not that I advocate what they are doing).
Oh yeah, then there are the electronic stops built into the stock
markets to preclude precipitous falls by free market particpants....

We'll see how long we avoid tinkering with the new Iranian government,
which was freely elected. I'll bet you lots of free market dollars that
Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld aren't happy with those results...

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler wrote:
OK, your point is that I was wrong about the way those wires
could have interacted with his speakers, and it is very
possible, given that I did not have a hand's on relationship
with his system, that I was wrong. In principle, I do not
see how any short in parallel with speakers could allow
those speakers to make any sound whatsoever,

And that's because you simply don't understand the principles.
It has little to do with "hand's on relationships" with any
particular system.

A hand's on situation in this particular case would not have
been a bad idea.

A reasonable comprehension of Ohm's Law
would be one of the principles that it would be good to start
with.

In this case, I am going to assume that a near-zero ohm
short in parallel with a speaker having an impedance in the
4-8 ohm range would result in something other happening than
what the man described.

Follow up with familiarizing yourself with Kirchoff's
current and voltage laws.

I know enough to understand that a not-quite "dead" short,
but one that still had resistance pretty close to zero ohms
would result in nearly no current flowing through a speaker
in parallel with that short. In that case, no sound should
be coming from the speaker at all, even if the amp triggered
its protection circuits. A huge percentage of any current
flow would simply bypass the speaker.

And if you make it through that unscathed, then start to explore
all the various and sundry protection mechanisms in those products
about which you choose to hold forth.

even at very low output levels,

KCL would be your clue here, if you were to bother to learn
the principles.

but perhaps his little "short" was not
really a short at all and only involved one thin strand of a
multi-strand cable.

There is no such thing as dead short, not in this universe.
Again, KCL would be your friedn had you bothered to include
it in your repetoire of principles.

Wonders never cease.

They seem to go into a coma in your presence, though.

Given that you are not doing a hand's on analysis of my
medical condition, your comments are purely speculative.

Fortunately, the topic area within a book about basic AV
systems does not involve the kind of problem solving you
take so seriously.

A problem that you passed off as something else entirely,
given your demonstrable lack of facility in the basic
principles involved.

Well, let's have a clarification here, because I must be
missing some points. If we take a typically good amp and
hook it to a typical speaker, and then create a typically
good "almost" short in parallel with that speaker, will we
get sound from that speaker at any volume setting of the
amp?

If the answer is yes at low levels but no at higher levels,
then obviously there are things about amplifier performance
that I have been missing.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

"Margaret von B." wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Wonders never cease.

They seem to go into a coma in your presence, though.

Fortunately, the topic area within a book about basic AV
systems does not involve the kind of problem solving you
take so seriously.

A problem that you passed off as something else entirely,
given your demonstrable lack of facility in the basic
principles involved.

Thanks for the confirmation, Mr. Pierce. :-)

I hope that all the readers of the magazines who promote Ferstler's garbage
will see this and terminate their subscriptions. It is time to get some
honesty, professionalism and competence back to the audio press. Quacks like
Ferstler and his supporters deserve to be run out of business for good.

Cheers,

Margaret

One can only speculate on what Mr. Pierce would do should
your dreams come true.

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler

ric wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Is it that important for you to know exactly who is feeding
you a bill of goods? If you cannot spot the con artists on
your own you deserve all the screwing over they can supply
to you.

You made the initial statement, not me. If you had no intention of
specifying the bad apples, you shouldn't have made the statement in
the first place. It has nothing to do with my ability to spot "the
con artists." It is entirely about *you* spouting off generalizations
without having the guts to be specific.

Given what I know about tweako journalists and their
tendencies to explode, there is a difference between not
having "guts" and not being foolhardy.

By your standards, not taking someone up on a challenge to
race through the center of town in a car at 100 mph is a
sign of not having guts. However, I see it as not being
foolhardy.

Howard Ferstler
George Middius

Brother Horace, Lord High Priest of the Tweako-Freako Church, bitches out the
apostates.

Given what I know about tweako journalists

Yes, it's about time you refreshed your instruction set. You're getting sooooo
repetitive, Clerkie. There are dozens of high-priced lines out there -- if not
hundreds. All of them need pricking. You should start sharpening up your
whacking ball and see if you can't smash them to slivers.

Margaret von B.

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

babble babble babble...

obviously there are things about amplifier performance
that I have been missing.

Howard Ferstler

No need to be specific. It seems safe to say that, in general, you are
missing things. Some audio reviewer.

In order to salvage what's left of your audio career I think you owe open
letters of apology to the readers of the magazines that have published your
reviews. In these letters you need to explain in detail your technical
incompetence and general lack of understanding (as demonstrated by Mr.
Pierce) and how these factors combined have invalidated your reviews. You
should also assume sole responsibility of any damage your wrongful reviews
may have caused to manufacturers. Offering restitution up front might be the
least costly alternative on the long run.

Respectfully,

Margaret

ric

Howard Ferstler wrote:

You made the initial statement, not me. If you had no intention of
specifying the bad apples, you shouldn't have made the statement in
the first place. It has nothing to do with my ability to spot "the
con artists." It is entirely about *you* spouting off generalizations
without having the guts to be specific.

Given what I know about tweako journalists and their
tendencies to explode, there is a difference between not
having "guts" and not being foolhardy.

By your standards, not taking someone up on a challenge to
race through the center of town in a car at 100 mph is a
sign of not having guts.

If you had previously spouted off about doing so, yes. That is the
point which you continue to ignore. Ever hear of the saying "Put up,
or shut up" ?? I think it is time for you to "shut up."