Daily Planet Studios

Default Impulse Removal

If I can impulse a room and impose that rooms characteristics to a
wav...what is stopping me from the inverse...lessening or removing a room
signature from a wav.

Of for that matter setting up a real time effect that remove the sonic
character of a any Control Room I am mixing in. A poor man's Sigtech...

Thoughts? Has anyone here tried this application?

Mark Skipper

www.dailyplanetstudios.com
Nuendo 3

Kurt Albershardt

Daily Planet Studios wrote:
If I can impulse a room and impose that rooms characteristics to a
wav...what is stopping me from the inverse...lessening or removing a room
signature from a wav.

Chaos.

Don Pearce

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:29:29 GMT, "Daily Planet Studios"
wrote:

If I can impulse a room and impose that rooms characteristics to a
wav...what is stopping me from the inverse...lessening or removing a room
signature from a wav.

Of for that matter setting up a real time effect that remove the sonic
character of a any Control Room I am mixing in. A poor man's Sigtech...

Thoughts? Has anyone here tried this application?

Mark Skipper

www.dailyplanetstudios.com
Nuendo 3

You don't get an impulse response for a room; you get one for a single
exact location within a room. You can do this, but if you move by as
much as an inch - or something within the room is moved - or somebody
comes in or goes out, then you may as well not have bothered. It will
be all wrong, and uncorrected would probably be a better guess at what
you need.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Bob Cain

Daily Planet Studios wrote:
If I can impulse a room and impose that rooms characteristics to a
wav...what is stopping me from the inverse...lessening or removing a room
signature from a wav.

It can be done almost perfectly. The catch is that it can
only be done perfectly for a single spatial point in the
room. The remainder of the room is up for grabs and what
you may have to do to correct that single point can
seriously screw up lots of others.

A larger set of sweet spots can be accomodated with least
mean square approximations using some math that I've worked
out but it is not possible to correct an entire room from
what comes from a couple of distinct sources.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

the "reverse impulse" would have to exactly match the reverb on the
track. so if the track was miced 6 feet away from where the impulse
was taken, it would not sync up.
if it's a different mic/different spot/different room, forget it.