Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default anyone familiar with Adobe Audition here?

I have two things I need to do to an audio file and not quite sure how
to do them in Audition. Thanks.....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:27:33 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have two things I need to do to an audio file and not quite sure how
to do them in Audition. Thanks.....

I use it, but what you can do depends largely on which version you
have. They have been adding froth and deleting features.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:33:19 -0400, JBI wrote:

On 4/23/19 1:29 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:27:33 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have two things I need to do to an audio file and not quite sure how
to do them in Audition. Thanks.....

I use it, but what you can do depends largely on which version you
have. They have been adding froth and deleting features.

CC 2018

OK, that's a bit of a shame. It's a post-inflation version. But who
can say? What are you trying to do?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/23/19 2:47 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:33:19 -0400, JBI wrote:

On 4/23/19 1:29 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:27:33 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have two things I need to do to an audio file and not quite sure how
to do them in Audition. Thanks.....

I use it, but what you can do depends largely on which version you
have. They have been adding froth and deleting features.

CC 2018

OK, that's a bit of a shame. It's a post-inflation version. But who
can say? What are you trying to do?

Thanks in advance. Ok here goes. Please note the file I need to edit:
a one hour, one time only, recording of a live radio broadcast, so I am
unable to rerecord anything. Here is what I need to do:

1) The background hiss varies throughout the file since the radio
carrier wave became stronger and also faded at times. At some point, I
am going to be able to replace certain very noisy sections with sections
with quieter background, but I'd like to first apply noise reduction to
the entire one hour file. Brief testing seems to show that adaptive
noise reduction is my best choice. I am using the "light" setting and I
am keeping a very slight amount of noise remaining in the quieter
backgrounds. I welcome your suggestions he is the adaptive one best
for the task?

2) There is a five second beat that occurs within every minute
throughout the entire file (every 50 seconds). I would like to replace
part of this beat from a "good" section by copying it, and then pasting
it over the existing beats throughout the entire song. This will mean
multiple duplicating 60 times and pasting over the same existing
sections with the quieter beat. I would also need an auto crossfade
applied at both sides of the clip for each of the sixty clips. How
would I go about this?

3) Finally, there is a beat every second that occurs throughout the
entire song. In between the beats, there is one second of background
silence/ noise. I have been thinking of applying gain reduction with
crossfade to each of the background second sections, but this would mean
another setting up of an action on one section, and then applying that
every other second over the entire hour. That's a lot of gain
reduction! Chances are, I will probably just stick with the adaptive
reduction as indicated above, but I'm wondering if what I want to do
here is possible as well?

Thanks in advance for any help. There is so much about Audition that I
find it tough to narrow down specifics especially regarding what I am
seeking.

I'm currently working with the Audition trial and have 5 days left as
Audacity, which I normally use, just isn't up to the task and also
freezes/ crashes frequently. I know you or some of the others probably
tackle the above on a regular basis, but I don't.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/23/2019 2:55 PM, JBI wrote:
The background hiss varies throughout the file since the radio carrier
wave became stronger and also faded at times.

"Adaptive" noise reduction seems appropriate. The trick is to apply it
gently as you have, and then repeat until you've reduced the hiss to a
tolerable level or distorted the program material to an intolerable
level. You can't have one without the other.

2)Â* There is a five second beat that occurs within every minute
throughout the entire file (every 50 seconds).

By "beat" do you mean a tone? If you can find a sharp enough notch
filter, you might just be able to filter it out, or get it down to a
tolerable level. If you need to paste over it, be assured that just
about every DAW program does an automatic crossfade at the beginning and
end of a spliced-in section. You can usually adjust the crossfade time
if you need to, and you might, to get the patch to be less noticeable. I
can't tell you how to do that in Audition, but RTRM. Usually it's a
matter of zooming in to the splice point and dragging a little "handle"
at the top or bottom corner of the crossfade area to change its length
and slope.

3)Â* Finally, there is a beat every second that occurs throughout the
entire song.Â* In between the beats, there is one second of background
silence/ noise.

Hmmm . . . . this is beginning to sound like a time signal.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 14:55:26 -0400, JBI wrote:

[...]

Fixing stuff like this is not really my area, but read what Mike has
written. That looks like a pretty sensible approach. Just don't
imagine you are going to get this totally clean.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

I believe that you can adjust the duration of the automatic crossfades in the Setup screen.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/23/19 4:35 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/23/2019 2:55 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

LOL yeah, you got it. What happened was that I got a really good one
hour capture, but you know how the time is announced at the end of every
minute. Well, I wanted two hours of clear capture. The first hour was
actually remarkable. None of the SDR stations I used were actually
close enough for consistent signals, so I've had to depend on
propagation conditions and then got lucky. Their SDR's are user
limited, so I just couldn't start recording and let it go or I would be
cut off unexpectedly.

So that meant, unless I wanted to spend days getting another lucky day,
I wondered how difficult it would be to take a sample of the next hour
and then combine it with the minutes of the good sample I have. I think
this will be possible; it's just to take a lot of time for 60 changes.
I had hoped to take the overdub, which would be the same for every
minute.... "At the tone, 16 hours...", and then put the same spacing
between each sample over the hour. I guess I'll just duplicate it and
then carefully move each sample into position. The good news is that
the time stations already have their ticks, making alignment easy. I
just have to do it 60 times.

Just for fun, I've come across another time station out of China called
BPM. It's a lot tougher finding any close SDR's, but again got lucky.
The good news is that there are no announcements per minute, only on the
hour, but I still had to string together a minute of perfect 125 Hz sub
tones, and I had to obtain these from several captured samples. I did
manage to do that all in Audacity and saved frequently just in case the
program froze.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll fire up Audition and get this done
before my trial expires.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 4/23/2019 2:55 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

LOL yeah, you got it.Â* What happened was that I got a really good one
hour capture, but you know how the time is announced at the end of every
minute.Â* Well, I wanted two hours of clear capture.Â* The first hour was
actually remarkable.Â* None of the SDR stations I used were actually
close enough for consistent signals, so I've had to depend on
propagation conditions and then got lucky.Â* Their SDR's are user
limited, so I just couldn't start recording and let it go or I would be
cut off unexpectedly.

So that meant, unless I wanted to spend days getting another lucky day,
I wondered how difficult it would be to take a sample of the next hour
and then combine it with the minutes of the good sample I have.Â* I think
this will be possible; it's just to take a lot of time for 60 changes. I
had hoped to take the overdub, which would be the same for every
minute.... "At the tone, 16 hours...", and then put the same spacing
between each sample over the hour.Â* I guess I'll just duplicate it and
then carefully move each sample into position.Â* The good news is that
the time stations already have their ticks, making alignment easy.Â* I
just have to do it 60 times.

Just for fun, I've come across another time station out of China called
BPM.Â* It's a lot tougher finding any close SDR's, but again got lucky.
The good news is that there are no announcements per minute, only on the
hour, but I still had to string together a minute of perfect 125 Hz sub
tones, and I had to obtain these from several captured samples.Â* I did
manage to do that all in Audacity and saved frequently just in case the
program froze.

Thanks for your help.Â* I guess I'll fire up Audition and get this done
before my trial expires.

Also, just wanted to add, that I've never been all that impressed with
software noise reduction. I've only ever used it sparingly over the
years, but, more often that not, I've taken near noise free harmonics
from one part of a song, and then mixed them over another part that was
more noisy. That can sometimes be tough and impossible; then I'll turn
to NR but prefer not to use it. One thing that has helped is that the
NR algorithms have improved over the years. I see that Audition's NR is
a lot better than Audacity's, for example, so the latter is what I'll be
using this time. Of course, that may not be fair as I have never tried
the complete plug-ins available for Audacity so there may be better NR
out there somewhere.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Of course, that may not be fair as I have never tried
the complete plug-ins available for Audacity so there may be better NR
out there somewhere.

try a spectral editing tool.

Audacity has one.

but you will have to make all the fixes by hand.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/24/2019 1:01 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
The NR is pretty good, but really, don't try for too much. You get a
choice between a slightly hissy background, and a really horrible "tin
can" effect.

He's working with a recording of a short wave radio transmission of a
time signal. The "tin can" effect is baked in already.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/23/2019 2:55 PM, JBI wrote:
[...]

every minute.Â* Well, I wanted two hours of clear capture.Â* The first
hour was actually remarkable.Â* None of the SDR stations I used were
actually close enough for consistent signals, so I've had to depend on
propagation conditions and then got lucky.Â* Their SDR's are user
limited, so I just couldn't start recording and let it go or I would
be cut off unexpectedly.

So that meant, unless I wanted to spend days getting another lucky
day, I wondered how difficult it would be to take a sample of the next
hour and then combine it with the minutes of the good sample I have.
I think this will be possible; it's just to take a lot of time for 60
changes. I had hoped to take the overdub, which would be the same for
every minute.... "At the tone, 16 hours...", and then put the same
spacing between each sample over the hour.Â* I guess I'll just
duplicate it and then carefully move each sample into position.Â* The
good news is that the time stations already have their ticks, making
alignment easy.Â* I just have to do it 60 times.

Just for fun, I've come across another time station out of China
called BPM.Â* It's a lot tougher finding any close SDR's, but again got
lucky. The good news is that there are no announcements per minute,
only on the hour, but I still had to string together a minute of
perfect 125 Hz sub tones, and I had to obtain these from several
captured samples.Â* I did manage to do that all in Audacity and saved
frequently just in case the program froze.

Thanks for your help.Â* I guess I'll fire up Audition and get this done
before my trial expires.

Also, just wanted to add, that I've never been all that impressed with
software noise reduction.Â* I've only ever used it sparingly over the
years, but, more often that not, I've taken near noise free harmonics
from one part of a song, and then mixed them over another part that was
more noisy.Â* That can sometimes be tough and impossible; then I'll turn
to NR but prefer not to use it.Â* One thing that has helped is that the
NR algorithms have improved over the years.Â* I see that Audition's NR is
a lot better than Audacity's, for example, so the latter is what I'll be
using this time.Â* Of course, that may not be fair as I have never tried
the complete plug-ins available for Audacity so there may be better NR
out there somewhere.

Dunno about the others, but is a steady uniform background noise, in
SoundForge with it's NR2 (and prior) modules, you take a 'noise-print'
from an otherwise blank area, and it applies that in an inverse way to
the wanted signal (gross over-simplification there of course).

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

3)Â* Finally, there is a beat every second that occurs throughout the
entire song.Â* In between the beats, there is one second of
background silence/ noise.

Hmmm . . . . this is beginning to sound like a time signal.

OP if this is a time signal station it's not a "song".

And you do have as many opportunities as you want to re-record this.

Adobe Audition 2.0 kent Pro Audio 22 May 10th 06 04:11 PM
Adobe Audition 2.0 mc Pro Audio 25 January 23rd 06 12:35 AM
adobe audition greggery peccary Pro Audio 2 February 28th 05 02:02 AM
adobe audition Freddo Pro Audio 5 October 31st 03 09:41 PM
Help with Adobe Audition burke Pro Audio 1 October 11th 03 02:38 AM